Coronavirus Isle of Man

On The Bus

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

No, he's not TJ. He's probably different former poster, someone who was not entirely well.

I hope you are wrong there. Notwell was , to me anyway, a decent poster who was not scared to say what he thought. If indeed “ on the  bus” turns out to be Notwell, I will be disappointed in the extreme.

4 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

Teapot and Dilligaf. You do amuse me greatly! 

You can't accept the gravity of our current situation, the economic reality, or views that differ from your own. 

I just don't agree our situation is quite as serious economically as you do, or maybe better described as I'm not in such a wild state of panic at least. Whereas I do think the virus situation is more serious than you clearly do.

I'm fully open to views that are different to mine. I have made quite enough mistakes in my life to know that I am not always right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I hope you are wrong there. Notwell was , to me anyway, a decent poster who was not scared to say what he thought. If indeed “ on the  bus” turns out to be Notwell, I will be disappointed in the extreme.

Notwell was off his tits, and right up there with your good self and Rog as the most wrong about pretty much everything poster on these boards ever.

Edited by TheTeapot

20 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

In a completely altruistic world you would be 100% correct. But how do you define 'everything we can'? 

In that case why don't we go one step further and close Shoprite, Tesco, M&S, Co-op,...

It's clear that you favour the 'Rapunzel' option - keeping everyone locked away for their own safety ad infinitum.

The food outlets are a necessary evil. People have to eat. But it's still minimising exposure to the virus. People won't starve if the construction industry remains locked down for longer. But it helps to keep a cap on the spread. Still another 5 cases today with more tests to come back and more to be carried out. That's only good because lockdown is being observed.

And it's not locking people away "ad infinitum". It's to allow time for more information to be gathered, perhaps even for vaccine development to be furthered.

As opposed to allowing a select, influential industry to restart on grounds of nothing more than greed when its own market is in lockdown and they can't even sell some of what they currently build in a depressed market when it's even open.

The Govt isn't paying them anything so it's not losing any more. Their employees are in no better or worse circumstances than thousands of others outside the sector. But you'd rather risk the lives of lots of others in society simply in the name of restarting one strand of the economy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I just don't agree our situation is quite as serious economically as you do, or maybe better described as I'm not in such a wild state of panic at least. Whereas I do think the virus situation is more serious than you clearly do..

When I see loads of under 55s without underlying health issue dying maybe I’ll moderate my view. But if you’re in that category the chances of you being unemployed and in debt without government support because of this are higher than the changes of you dying or being seriously ill. They’re predicting up to 2,000,000 extra unemployed by the end of April and all those will see long term effects on their life. The press has reported very isolated cases of young people dying but that is far from the norm. Ethnicity seems to be a very big factor in the death rate of younger people too. The press have been very irresponsible in the way they have created this hysteria. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

Can you clarify how will they be funding that? Milk bottle tops? Chocolate buttons? Luncheon vouchers? IOUs? I know many people who have been turned down already as I’ve spoken to them and they’re confused and angry as to why they are now expected to live on no income. We don’t have access to enough capital for your imaginary support to be even half effective. Do you work for government by chance? 

I work for Government in as far as I pay tax and NI stamps. Bit more than you do on the dole queue. Just keep sucking on the teat.