Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

Posted (edited)

In the car I have a spray can of isopropyl alcohol at 99.7% proof. I also use an FFP3 mask, correctly fitted, which I spray inside and out after a trip to the shop. So far it has survived the spraying but will fall apart eventually as the alcohol breaks down its integrity, whence it'll be replaced. Walked into Shopshite wearing it a fortnight ago and the looks I received was as if I'd two heads. 

Mr Newbie is correct- people are stupid when it comes to masks. 

Edited by quilp

6 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

It’s the idiots clearly wearing B&Q DIY masks that make me laugh. You see them in the street all the time. I’m not sure a B&Q Cat 1 mask that is designed to protect you from builders dusk or a bit of paint spray is going to be that effective on virus particles. It shows what morons people are. It’s all about making a big statement “Look at me I’m helping others by wearing a mask even though it’s completely useless” 

What it does do however is stop you touching your mouth and nose. I’d no idea how much I touched my face until I put a mask on. 

• Like 3

I think a lot of the trouble with people not wanting the relaxation of the lockdown is that many still think that on the island we are getting the same £ help as the UK and NI.

WE ARE NOT GETTING ANYTHING EVEN CLOSE TO THE £ HELP WORKERS ARE GETTING IN THE UK.

I am not blaming the government for this, they have limited funds, it is just a fact. We cant print money and borrowing is difficult.

• Like 2

Having read the VAT on the construction Industry posts on here, I am beginning to believe you people actually do work for DfE, Treasury

or are MHK's.

It is what is about to happen this year with VAT in the Construction Industry that will kill off small builders who are VAT registered.

There has been no consultation, nobody has even bothered to informing building firms as to what is coming.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Masks - is the aim to reduce    “transmit”   or   “receive” ?

These two are widely different aims.

If someone already has any disease spread by droplets  then the most simple barrier would be at the very least a consideration to others.

This seems to be the basis of the eastern cultural use of a mask when one has a cold.

They probably  do nothing to prevent the wearer “receiving “ the virus and with repeated touching and fiddling  with unwashed hands may indeed heighten the risk of the wearer contaminating the very areas they are hoping to protect.

Receive

The higher grades of tightly fitting masks are known to be effective in protecting the well trained wearer.

The problem here is that they are so close fitting   that they are uncomfortable and a almost immediately the build up of   moisture laden exhaled breath   makes the wearer hot, steamed-up and uncomfortable -so they have to have some sort of exhaust valve.

The valve on all but the most sophisticated masks is a simple one way flap valve without a filter so the “exhaust “ from the wearer -will be a forward or sideward projecting plume of  condensing breath  droplets.

This protects the wearer- but not any one else 

Edited by hampsterkahn

37 minutes ago, quilp said:

In the car I have a spray can of isopropyl alcohol at 99.7% proof. I also use an FFP3 mask, correctly fitted, which I spray inside and out after a trip to the shop. So far it has survived the spraying but will fall apart eventually as the alcohol breaks down its integrity, whence it'll be replaced. Walked into Shopshite wearing it a fortnight ago and the looks I received was as if I'd two heads. 

Mr Newbie is correct- people are stupid when it comes to masks. 

Do your masks have an exhaust  valve?

Do you wear the mask all the way home and spray it there or do you do that before you get in the car after the shop?

Do you also wear gloves? What is your procedure for donning and removal?

etc.

You may have provided your family with an overwhelming sense of false security.

Some interesting points here. 

Personally is we trusted the clinicians and their advice to enter into lockdown, then I'd be inclined to trust their advice on gradually easing lockdown? 

I can't see anyone here suggesting throwing the borders open or returning to full normality with immediate effect. 

Surely we have to test the water?

• Like 2

It is the first time in living memory that IOM politicians actually have to publically be political - it is now becoming quite apparent on the differing agendas and factions within the leadership.

Alf quite clearly has one agenda only and that is to keep the till ringing by getting people back to work ASAP

Ashford doesn't as his default position is deference to The Chief Minister, whilst yesterday giving the impression that Trades aren't going back on the 23rd it will be "phased"

Whilst Howard hasn't been publically seen or heard for 2 weeks I understand he is more amenable to keeping the lockdown going until the  numbers indicate a significant reduction in risk.

The next few days will be interesting to see how and if the divisions escalate

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Do your masks have an exhaust  valve?

Yes, filtered.

Do you wear the mask all the way home and spray it there or do you do that before you get in the car after the shop?

The mask goes on before entering and comes off as soon as I get in the car after the shop.

Do you also wear gloves? What is your procedure for donning and removal?

I spray my hands before removing the mask then spray the mask, inside and out. The steering wheel also gets it.

You may have provided your family with an overwhelming sense of false security.

Nah, no family, just a partner who follows the same procedure if she's doing the shop.

Any other questions..?

What's your procedure?

Oh, edited to add, the hands and face are washed with soap and water once home. 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

It is the first time in living memory that IOM politicians actually have to publically be political - it is now becoming quite apparent on the differing agendas and factions within the leadership.

Alf quite clearly has one agenda only and that is to keep the till ringing by getting people back to work ASAP

Ashford doesn't as his default position is deference to The Chief Minister, whilst yesterday giving the impression that Trades aren't going back on the 23rd it will be "phased"

Whilst Howard hasn't been publically seen or heard for 2 weeks I understand he is more amenable to keeping the lockdown going until the  numbers indicate a significant reduction in risk.

The next few days will be interesting to see how and if the divisions escalate

That is not what the treasury minister said on Friday, do you really think Alf is doing this on his own? -

Over the past ten days, a cross-governmental taskforce has been working to understand how successful the measures in place have been and what is needed now for the Island to move forward in a manner that protects life, protects our health and protects our futures.

This is a team made up of colleagues from the Treasury, the Department for Enterprise, the Cabinet Office and crucially the Department of Health and Social Care.

The taskforce has assessed the time is right for us to be able to make some changes to our measures - changes that may allow for a gradual return to normality while social distancing guidelines continue to be observed.

We have considered many factors. We have analysed data, we have tracked and measured the virus impact and we have assessed and drawn up response and action plans.

Our clinicians have considered the initial findings and provided advice and feedback. The Council of Ministers has also now been briefed and Tynwald Members have been provided with an overview of our outline assessment and plans.

Work will continue over the weekend. We are completing a fully co-ordinated and workable plan to move the Island forward that takes into account many factors but one which is underpinned by a robust health strategy.

It is currently our intention that the Chief Minister will take you through this work and our plans in detail next week but what I can say to you is that we are seeking, all things being equal, to commence a carefully phased and structured return to work from next Friday for some sectors including construction, associated trades and horticulture.

• Like 1

Paste it into search and download the PDF.

29 minutes ago, QwertyMcBerty said:

Personally is we trusted the clinicians and their advice to enter into lockdown, then I'd be inclined to trust their advice on gradually easing lockdown? 

I can't see anyone here suggesting throwing the borders open or returning to full normality with immediate effect. 

Go away, On the Bus, OTB was suspended, now permanently banned, as are you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, QwertyMcBerty said:

But have the clinicians given their unqualified support for any relaxation of the current emergency? I haven't seen/heard anything to that effect. If there has, then I have missed it. 

If there's anyone out there who can point me in the direction of any form of declaration to that effect then it would be interesting to see/hear it.

• Like 1