Coronavirus Isle of Man

51 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

It's to allow all those claiming job seekers allowance to get to B and Q and builders merchants to buy the stuff for the jobs they will be out doing on Monday.

Except that it's always been possible for B&Q to open according to the regulations:

PART 3 BUSINESSES THAT MAY REMAIN IN OPERATION [Regulation 5(2)]

[...] (6) Builders merchants

(7) Hardware shops concerned solely or principally with the sale of household products and domestic (as opposed to industrial or commercial) hardware

So if B&Q don't want to open that has been their decision.

Not that the people writing the CM's scripts seem to be aware of their own regulations:

Businesses that support this activity - such as hardware stores and builders merchants - can also operate providing again that they do so safely, respecting social distancing and other guidelines.

It's only a small thing but it suggests just how little these people know what they are doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I find it hard to believe that mhks didnt know about this. I had heard rumours about it the back end of last week and I'm a nobody so for them to say they knew nothing of it is hard to swallow.

Not that I'm cynical but I sense some mhks have seen the reaction by some people and are jumping on it ready for votes next year.

Well the rumours had been mentioned on here as well, but there's a difference between a rumour and confirmation.  And those who did think there was going to be a relaxation may have expected some less sweeping - allowing small businesses to operate on sites with only one or two people like in Jersey. 

The fact that Quayle didn't have the guts to make the announcement to Tynwald is quite telling.  Of course now on every new case and every new death will be blamed on this.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think people are reading too much into the word 'relaxed'? This is a good move and I'm sure people have got the message about distancing and prevention.  

I disagree as it's still to open ended and you so know the 'rules' will be interpreted so differently with many and some will test and push them also. I predict chaos next week and police etc not knowing what to do . I really hope I'm wrong but dont think I will be . Construction workers who work in private properties are going to have a real problem .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Sad 1
27 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/capturing-the-absences-launched-by-culture-vannin/

Shouldn't this guy be getting jailed for unneccessary journeys...and the govt idiots commissioning?

I think you’re getting the rules confused. If he’s on a government contract and twatting about taking pictures for government to use then it’s fine. It’s essential work. If he is working free lance taking random pictures for other people for money to keep a roof over his head then that is non-essential work and likely to be open to police scrutiny. Hence why the building industry is being told to go back. 

Edited by Mr Newbie
Typo

I’ve just run this past a family member by marriage who is a medic at a London hospital. Flabbergasted. Easing restrictions three weeks prior to government’s own predicted ‘peak’ of infections considered to be beyond high-risk. He said ‘This is perverse; who or what has got at them’.  I think we know. Government has caved to the construction industry. 

And much as I generally regard Spewin’ Juan as a prat, he’s absolutely bang on with his comment that Quayle says nothing about this to Tynwald at 10:30 this morning, and then spills the lot to the press at 4:00 p.m. That really is flipping the bird to Tynwald. Watterson has every justification to be mightily pissed off.

For the record, Quayle’s delivery of that reading-the-speech-written-for-me-by-the-civil-service was even poorer than his usual abject standard. 

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
23 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The civil servants that copied and pasted his speech this time, got so carried away, they sent the Manannan off to Dunkirk.

Well we’ve had IOMSPC ships sunk there before!

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well the rumours had been mentioned on here as well, but there's a difference between a rumour and confirmation.  And those who did think there was going to be a relaxation may have expected some less sweeping - allowing small businesses to operate on sites with only one or two people like in Jersey. 

The fact that Quayle didn't have the guts to make the announcement to Tynwald is quite telling.  Of course now on every new case and every new death will be blamed on this.

There is indeed a difference between the press questioning him with a "two questions" maximum and a Tynwald questioning where Members get to grill him further. 

I doubt they will be kind to him on Tuesday (other than CoMin and Baker).

It'll be interesting to see if they publish the "science" behind this. Especially given Singapore relaxed their restrictions and have realised it was a mistake and tightened them again.

I expect similar surges in the European countries that have done the same.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

It'll be interesting to see if they publish the "science" behind this.

I expect similar surges in the European countries that have done the same.

If you don’t have deep pockets to pay people to stay at home this is your only option. What part of that do people not get? People cannot live on nothing. No matter how much empty bullshit government tries to feed them. If you tell them not to go to work,  yet then you don't actually pay them not to go to work what hell do you expect to happen? Nobody is going to sit inside and starve and get their house repossessed just because Howard Quayle says so when at the same time the entire public sector seems to be able to do exactly what it wants to do and still get paid. 

Edited by Mr Newbie
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Cant see the prom works restarting.  They are nearly always closer together than 2 metres. 

I would say in my opinion these works will for sure be restarting and will have a lot to do with this decision to start up works. Despite there seemingly don't care attitude behind closed doors it's a massive disaster and embrassement .

• Like 1
Sounds like our beloved Speaker has spat his dummy
because the CM told the public before he told him  about the return to work
MR Watterson said this type of behaviour makes me sick

• Haha 3

It was reported that the majority of Prom workers were imports! They surely could not be allowed to come back as Key Workers???