Coronavirus Isle of Man

29 minutes ago, wrighty said:

There's a huge amount of conspiracy madness appearing in this thread - test bed for vaccine, military take-over etc - please can we stop.  The real situation is perfectly clear and reasonable.  I'll try to explain. 

What are your thoughts on 2 military helicopters landing in a lockdown?

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

One further point.... have any of the (so far) repatriated folk been tested at all? If so, are they included in the stats?

Don't know, but if they are tested here they will be included in the figures.  If they've been tested in the UK prior to coming probably not - they'd go in the UK figures.

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

As we're going now there may not be a peak.  We may have had our (small) peak. A peak is only really important if it overwhelms your health service.  Last time I looked only 1 of our 16 ITU beds were occupied.  We're seeing nothing like they had in Italy, or Spain, or UK.  We're more like Germany - thanks to early lockdown, aggressive testing and contact tracing.

In other words all the actions Bozo should have taken but didn't.

Well done whoever made sure there was a decent testing capability available.

2 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I've had no thoughts on the matter at all.  Few possibilities are patient transfer, supplies of PPE, supplies of other stuff, pre-arranged visit (wasn't that the official line - if so that's what's most likely the case).  I highly doubt that it's planning for the imposition of martial law, or using the island as an internment/quarantine camp following UK lockdown release, or planning to dose us all with an experimental vaccine as a testing ground.  Perhaps it was Dandara executives calling in the heavies to convince the Chief to let them build more houses on Friday? (That's a joke, by the way)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, wrighty said:

I've had no thoughts on the matter at all.  Few possibilities are patient transfer, supplies of PPE, supplies of other stuff, pre-arranged visit (wasn't that the official line - if so that's what's most likely the case).  I highly doubt that it's planning for the imposition of martial law, or using the island as an internment/quarantine camp following UK lockdown release, or planning to dose us all with an experimental vaccine as a testing ground.  Perhaps it was Dandara executives calling in the heavies to convince the Chief to let them build more houses on Friday? (That's a joke, by the way)

Your last sentence may have had some influence on today’s decision to let loose the cannon fodder. :ph34r:

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Well done whoever made sure there was a decent testing capability available.

I second that.  There are a few people I could name as being superstars in this whole pandemic response so far - our microbiologist (and of course the whole team in the labs) is probably top of the list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
21 minutes ago, TomTucker said:

However it unnecessarily increases the risk of further deaths. Noone wants a permanent lockdown but sticking to your guns and holding out a week or so after testing and the projected peak date has past seems very reasonable.  

Something amiss here mate - not at all sure that the quote attributed to me beginning with the words ‘From a health perspective...’ appearing in your previous post, were actually posted by me.

17 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I think to be honest he 'mis-spoke'.  A peak in early-mid May was predicted by one of the scenarios, but since we've seen real data that we're below all of them I don't think it's right any more. To be fair, he did correct that later in his conference.  And, if you can predict a peak it makes some sense to relax restrictions a week or two before, because of the lag.  This would be a very bold decision if we had a surge situation, but we don't.

As we're going now there may not be a peak.  We may have had our (small) peak. A peak is only really important if it overwhelms your health service.  Last time I looked only 1 of our 16 ITU beds were occupied.  We're seeing nothing like they had in Italy, or Spain, or UK.  We're more like Germany - thanks to early lockdown, aggressive testing and contact tracing.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I second that.  There are a few people I could name as being superstars in this whole pandemic response so far - our microbiologist (and of course the whole team in the labs) is probably top of the list.

In broad terms we have managed this very well so far. There’s no real evidence to suggest that we won’t keep going on the same basis. The economy needs to start to function again to pay for all of this. If the ports and the airport stay locked down longer term then the community transmission aspect seems to be relatively manageable. 

Thanks Wrighty, helpful as ever.

I'm still convinced that the contrail sprayers that feed the shape-shifting lizards on the grassy knoll near the edge of the flat earth, were prompting the Gov decision by beaming 5g radio waves at comin.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Only the tram line layers I believe. Now’s the time to rip the lot up and get the local lads to just resurface the prom.

No Neil there was a gang of Gibsons guys from Ireland laying granite/ slabs/paviours also working over by the RBS end of prom 

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

If it's any help I know that they were met by CC and a few other Police guys on landing apparently

The roads need to be closed to land.  The police close roads.  The helicopters need comms on the ground, the British army do not carry Tetra sets connected to the IOM Tetra network.  They do, however,  have vhf marine transmission equipment to contact  boats and things.  Who could possibly use that sort of radio on the Isle of Man hmmm?  By on the ground, I mean locally, not based down the road at the ATC tower, on a UK based AT controller sitting in a shed in a field in the middle of nowhere. 

You may have noticed, the Coastguard turn out to every helicopter landing at Noble's if it involves army, navy, coastguard, RAF and others,  for that reason.  The Police also turn out to close the road if they are available, but this is often done by IOMCG, who drop the barriers to close the road.

But don't let stop you from eating your fruit loops this morning and coming up with another half baked conspiracy theory.

Edited by x-in-man
  • Like 1