Coronavirus Isle of Man

On The Bus

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

I don't know how many times this has to be explained, but here goes again.

Future pension liability is simply a calculation that tells you how much you'd need, right now, sitting in a bank account, to be able to pay all the pensions for all the current and future pensioners in the scheme from now until they are all dead.  It depends heavily on the applicable interest rate (known as the discount rate when used in so called 'Present Value' calculations) - change that and your £4Billion can become £2.5Billion at the stroke of a pen.

Fortunately, pensions don't work like that.  We don't need to have the £4Billion sitting there.  It's a relatively meaningless figure when used to suggest we as an island 'owe' that money.

It would be really helpful if this post could automatically be reposted on MF every month. Some people seem to need it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Uhtred said:

It would be really helpful if this post could automatically be reposted on MF every month. Some people seem to need it.

I agree. The £4 billion is (almost) meaningless. 

The £tens-of-millions shortfall paid TO the Public Sector Retirees FROM the Tax Payer is far more important.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The impression given is that, as in the UK,  controlling the news is seen as more important than controlling the virus.

I’m sure our healthcare professionals are bending over backward to control the virus. Quayle, COMIN and their various Keys lackeys are doing exactly as you say. It also a gross dereliction of duty by Quayle to have not explained the current developments with the accuracy, cogency and clarity that Wrighty did in his posts of last night on these pages. Probably because Quayle is too thick to read them out correctly.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

No Neil there was a gang of Gibsons guys from Ireland laying granite/ slabs/paviours also working over by the RBS end of prom 

thanks Numbnuts. I incorrectly thought that it was local guys doing it. The ones laying slabs on Market Hill are local though aren't they?

1 hour ago, The Chief said:

i though Ashey said yesterday that to avoid confusion only 1 set of figures will be released a day at 4pm, could they not get Howie to hold his water?

The numbers don't make sense either.  According to the figures from 17:20 last night: 51 people are awaiting results and 74 people are awaiting tests.  Even if they processed all 51 last night, how did they get to the figure of 108 that Quayle announced this morning.  There might be a few urgent ones swabbed and processed overnight at the hospital, but most of those 74 will be in the community.  They won't be taking non-urgent samples at night and any taken this morning won't have had time to be processed (I think it takes six hours). 

If there were 57 people needing urgent testing, there's something very odd going on.  The figures can't include yesterday's because there were 7 positive tests among those.

16 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The numbers don't make sense either.  According to the figures from 17:20 last night: 51 people are awaiting results and 74 people are awaiting tests.  Even if they processed all 51 last night, how did they get to the figure of 108 that Quayle announced this morning.  There might be a few urgent ones swabbed and processed overnight at the hospital, but most of those 74 will be in the community.  They won't be taking non-urgent samples at night and any taken this morning won't have had time to be processed (I think it takes six hours). 

If there were 57 people needing urgent testing, there's something very odd going on.  The figures can't include yesterday's because there were 7 positive tests among those.

i think Howie just wanted to be the guy to announce the 108 and all negative, he's going to look a bit of a prick tomorrow if there's 25 +ve's.

47 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

thanks Numbnuts. I incorrectly thought that it was local guys doing it. The ones laying slabs on Market Hill are local though aren't they?

Yes , these Gibson guys were first brought over for a care home I think in Pt Erin then brought onto the Prom site when finished in a attempt to speed the job up. Made sense as that's all those lads do and look how long strand street took ! And yes Market street is local . 

Edited by Numbnuts

The real horror here is the six extra deaths at Abbotswood, but the new figures make even less sense 

No new cases today.

Total confirmed cases: 307 (80 cases)

Total tests undertaken: 2,654

Tests back: 2,534

Awaiting results: 220

Presumed recovered: 212

But the figure for concluded tests yesterday was 2503.  So there have apparently been only 31 extra tests.  And according to Quayle 108 of them are negative.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1