Coronavirus Isle of Man

I would like to know whether it remains illegal to visit family after tomorrow, providing one practiced social distancing. 

Can anyone confirm? I would like to visit my elderly parents, sit in their garden a few metres away and catch up. 

The only rules I can find relate to public spaces, not a private garden.

Any clue anyone? Seems strange if this is not permitted, but builders etc are permitted to drive vehicles with passengers (according the link to the draft guidance posted a few pages back).

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

1 hour ago, quilp said:

You have my sympathies with the hay fever, I'm suffering badly today- damn tree pollen. There'll be a few thinking it's CV19. 

But he hasn't got hay fever, he has hey fever. Quite possibly a side effect of Hey-Boy fever...

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, Butterflies said:

I would like to know whether it remains illegal to visit family after tomorrow, providing one practiced social distancing. 

Can anyone confirm? I would like to visit my elderly parents, sit in their garden a few metres away and catch up. 

Any clue anyone? Seems strange if this is not permitted, but builders etc are permitted to drive vehicles with passengers (according the link to the draft guidance posted a few pages back).

no one knows, as per the words of Toyah 'It's a mystery'

9 minutes ago, Butterflies said:

You're right.... it's a cluster feck! As some, probably most of us, on here knew this first relaxation of the regulations would be.

11 minutes ago, Butterflies said:

No, you cannot. The only real change is that you can go out to exercise more than once a day, and only with your own household. No visiting. No meeting up with family or friends. 

The message is still STAY AT HOME AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. WASH YOUR HANDS. KEEP TWO METRES DISTANCE. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Cambon said:

No, you cannot. The only real change is that you can go out to exercise more than once a day, and only with your own household. No visiting. No meeting up with family or friends. 

The message is still STAY AT HOME AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. WASH YOUR HANDS. KEEP TWO METRES DISTANCE. 

but you can queue for a non-essential ice cream on Peel prom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

God I wish Moulton would shut up.

The others are asking the same bloody questions now.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
4 minutes ago, The Chief said:

but you can queue for a non-essential ice cream on Peel prom.

Yes. Just like you have been able to queue for non-essential fish and chips, pizza, etc. for the past five weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This bunch of chancers are going to look proper foolish if in 7-14 days there's a case spike, i really hope i'm wrong because i want to get out of my house as much as anyone but it's utter guess work at the moment.

17 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Yes. Just like you have been able to queue for non-essential fish and chips, pizza, etc. for the past five weeks. 

Correct. This type of situation always brings out the intellectually challenged who will moan at every move government makes just because that's what they like to do. Complain when it's justified by all means, although negativity is a far easier state of mind than positivity. 

• Like 3

I am sure Dr Rankin of MEDS will have take due cognisance of the BMA 2018 Guidance which includes the following advice

"The informality and real-time nature of social media are two of its strengths but they are also potential pitfalls. Medicine can be a challenging and stressful job and while it may be tempting to let off steam or ‘speak your mind’......., . A good rule of thumb is don’t post when angry, drunk or emotional and don’t say or reveal anything on social media that you wouldn’t be happy to see printed in a newspaper.You have rights to free speech but they are not absolute. Remember that defamation law applies online – avoid adverse comments about individuals or organisations, which could be perceived to be gratuitous or unsubstantiated"

source https://www.bma.org.uk/media/1851/bma-ethics-guidance-on-social-media-2018.pdf

Given the political wriggling at today's Coronavirus Update I would not be surprised if our clinicians received an email from the Cabinet Office reminding them of their responsibilities in respect of using various mediums to express their views/concerns with an emphasis to discuss this with their line manager first before psoting. To avoid highlighting medics specifically, the rest of the public service could also be recipients. This would then give added leverage to any future disciplinary matters insofar as insubordination of refusing to comply with a reasonable request e.g. resorting to social media in an official capacity and bringing the organisation into disrepute. Regretfully I have seen this happen elsewhere and would not put it beyond some of our elected. 

• Like 1