Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

5 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Correct. This type of situation always brings out the intellectually challenged who will moan at every move government makes just because that's what they like to do. Complain when it's justified by all means, although negativity is a far easier state of mind than positivity. 

And there's the rub. What has been listed could hardly be described as essential, any of them. Deliveries may be but not collections.

I got the impression from today's briefing that social distancing etc is going to carry on from "many months". That includes closed borders. If that is correct I envisage the IoM declaring bankruptcy within a couple of months. It also seems odd that MGP has not been formally cancelled. 

4 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I got the impression from today's briefing that social distancing etc is going to carry on from "many months". That includes closed borders. If that is correct I envisage the IoM declaring bankruptcy within a couple of months. It also seems odd that MGP has not been formally cancelled. 

They're meant to be announcing their decision late next week. I'm fully expecting it to be cancelled.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

What did he ask?

Moulton is hard to listen to at times so I was half switched off at that point towards the end but I think he'd asked a straight question about Abbotswood and during Ashy's deflective answer Moulton interjected and said in a rather terse manner, "I'm sorry but I think you're downplaying my question minister!" Ashy's volume and pitch raised somewhat, to stifle Moulton's protestations. He (Ashy) was less than impressed by Moulton's temerity. Cartoon Paxman- not. 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 2

We need more of that temerity stuff in our fourth estate

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Butterflies said:

I would like to know whether it remains illegal to visit family after tomorrow, providing one practiced social distancing. 

Can anyone confirm? I would like to visit my elderly parents, sit in their garden a few metres away and catch up. 

The only rules I can find relate to public spaces, not a private garden.

Any clue anyone? Seems strange if this is not permitted, but builders etc are permitted to drive vehicles with passengers (according the link to the draft guidance posted a few pages back).

Ironically I don’t think you can, but you can share work vehicles and equipment as I have done since this thing started, including getting a lift to pick up vehicles or for routine servicing etc basically If you can’t do your job without socially distancing it’s perfectly acceptable to carry on as normal, providing you weren’t in one of the sectors listed of course.

5 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Seriously? I can see schools back in and 90% of Iom business open and running as normal by the end of June. The only sectors hit badly will be tourism. As for borders, if "They" have any sense, the borders will be kept closed indefinitely. At least until the end of the year, or until a reliable, proven vaccine is available. As was stated today, herd immunity, if it works, requires 60%+ of the population to have been affected. Iom is currently around 2%. So the entire population will be very vulnerable 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

And there's the rub. What has been listed could hardly be described as essential, any of them. Deliveries may be but not collections.

Eradicating this is out of the equation, we have to move onto the next phase of managing it. We can't wrap young, fit and healthy people in cotton wool, life has to attempt to get back as near to normality as we can. Obviously older and high risk individuals aren't going to go out for an ice cream but if someone else wants an ice cream after a chippy then so be it. Let's not get too nanny state about what constitutes essential. Commerce needs to be be resumed, for the good of everyone.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

We need more of that temerity

Alex from BBC had some,but the fatman avoided answering

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

God I wish Moulton would shut up.

I think we've seen over the last few weeks, that Paul Moulton is a presenter, and a talker, but he's not a journalist, and he's not a listener.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Eradicating this is out of the equation, we have to move onto the next phase of managing it. We can't wrap young, fit and healthy people in cotton wool, life has to attempt to get back as near to normality as we can. Obviously older and high risk individuals aren't going to go out for an ice cream but if someone else wants an ice cream after a chippy then so be it. Let's not get too nanny state about what constitutes essential. Commerce needs to be be resumed, for the good of everyone.

I was suggesting that they got it wrong from the start. Neither ice Cream, Pizzas or any convenience food is essential. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lxxx said:

Commerce needs to be be resumed, for the good of everyone.

I agree but I still think waiting another couple of weeks or a month might have been more prudent and I think the general populace would have accepted that. As it is, I think most are surprised that things have moved ‘on’ so quickly.

I would dearly love to be proved wrong in this but the whole thing now seems to be taking an air of Laurel and Hardy and we all know what a fine mess they got themselves into. 

1 minute ago, Nellie said:

I think we've seen over the last few weeks, that Paul Moulton is a presenter, and a talker, but he's not a journalist, and he's not a listener.

I do wonder sometimes what MT rationale is in keeping his reporting going? 

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

I was suggesting that they got it wrong from the start. Neither ice Cream, Pizzas or any convenience food is essential. 

Seems to have worked though, so they didn't get it wrong at all. Let's knock them by all means when necessary but they've got on top of it and still allowed pizzas, chips etc... Following that logic what's a bit of ice cream too?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, quilp said:

Moulton is hard to listen to at times so I was half switched off at that point towards the end but I think he'd asked a straight question about Abbotswood and during Ashy's deflective answer Moulton interjected and said in a rather terse manner, "I'm sorry but I think you're downplaying my question minister!" Ashy's volume and pitch raised somewhat, to stifle Moulton's protestations. He (Ashy) was less than impressed by Moulton's temerity. 

Ashford has received plaudits on these pages and he is the best performing Minister (a relative statement) but just like his boss Teen-Strop Quayle, Ashford gets instantly snarky and defensive when challenged/pressed. It’s ill-becoming of a Minister to react thus and illustrates a lack of character and/or tolerance.

• Like 6