Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

1 minute ago, ecobob said:

I agree but I still think waiting another couple of weeks or a month might have been more prudent and I think the general populace would have accepted that. As it is, I think most are surprised that things have moved ‘on’ so quickly.

I would dearly love to be proved wrong in this but the whole thing now seems to be taking an air of Laurel and Hardy and we all know what a fine mess they got themselves into. 

You want a top up or is that glass still half full?

5 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Eradicating this is out of the equation, we have to move onto the next phase of managing it. We can't wrap young, fit and healthy people in cotton wool, life has to attempt to get back as near to normality as we can. Obviously older and high risk individuals aren't going to go out for an ice cream but if someone else wants an ice cream after a chippy then so be it. Let's not get too nanny state about what constitutes essential. Commerce needs to be be resumed, for the good of everyone.

But I think you will find the older and vulnerable in the population will see this as a green light to do exactly that, go out for an ice cream or the chippy and wander around Tescos in pairs as they do. They would have been better making in crystal clear that those groups should stay in isolation and allow the "less vulnerable and younger" out more for a few weeks and then review

Just now, ellanvannin2010 said:

But I think you will find the older and vulnerable in the population will see this as a green light to do exactly that, go out for an ice cream or the chippy and wander around Tescos in pairs as they do. They would have been better making in crystal clear that those groups should stay in isolation and allow the "less vulnerable and younger" out more for a few weeks and then review

You can't mollycoddle everyone. They have been quite explicit with the new guidelines, it's up adults to act like adults and respect them. They have told the vulnerable to stick to the same daily routines, nothing has changed for them. If they decide to disregard them then we all have free will, just. 

• Like 4

I personally think that it was over the top to stop gardeners, tradespeople and the like in the first place, so I am glad to see this move.

Cambon, thank you for your reply., I also think that the contradictions we are seeing (coworkers can drive around in a van or serve in an ice cream shop together all day but are not allowed an hour visit to their extended family) will be the downfall as its difficult to respect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lxxx said:

You can't mollycoddle everyone. They have been quite explicit with the new guidelines, it's up adults to act like adults and respect them. They have told the vulnerable to stick to the same daily routines, nothing has changed for them. If they decide to disregard them then we all have free will, just. 

I've been thinking the same - that they've been explicit with the new guidelines. Sometimes I wonder if I'm listening to a different government briefing to others on here.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lxxx said:

You want a top up or is that glass still half full?

There’s no need for sarcasm. I’m an extremely positive person but I can also sniff out bullshit at a safe social distance  and I can smell bullshit  

If it all goes swimmingly and we have no huge spike in infections or deaths, if our NHS workers are provided with enough approved PPE and beds and ventilators don’t become scarce, if testing is seriously ramped up to show the true figures and contacts are traced and tested and if island wide antibody testing to see who has immunity, then I will be delighted and humbled to be proved wrong  

Enjoy your ice cream. Have some sprinkles and a flake too  

1 minute ago, Butterflies said:

I personally think that it was over the top to stop gardeners, tradespeople and the like in the first place, so I am glad to see this move.

Cambon, thank you for your reply., I also think that the contradictions we are seeing (coworkers can drive around in a van or serve in an ice cream shop together all day but are not allowed an hour visit to their extended family) will be the downfall as its difficult to respect.

They've clearly said that if you don't feel as though the company you're working for is keeping you safe (such as making you ride in a van with someone from outside your household) that you don't have to work and they will continue to financially support you.

If you read Davidson's facebook post, they've got it sorted for staff to keep their distance from each other and the public. No different to the food shops. (and this is coming from someone who can't stand that little icecream man.)

Just now, Zarley said:

. (and this is coming from someone who can't stand that little icecream man.)

I was just about to say I’ve worked out who you are but then I remembered that no-one in Peel likes him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ecobob said:

There’s no need for sarcasm. I’m an extremely positive person but I can also sniff out bullshit at a safe social distance  and I can smell bullshit  

If it all goes swimmingly and we have no huge spike in infections or deaths, if our NHS workers are provided with enough approved PPE and beds and ventilators don’t become scarce, if testing is seriously ramped up to show the true figures and contacts are traced and tested and if island wide antibody testing to see who has immunity, then I will be delighted and humbled to be proved wrong  

Enjoy your ice cream. Have some sprinkles and a flake too  

What bullshit are you smelling?

They have decided to relax the restrictions to attempt to get back to a functioning society. It may work, it may not. These decisions aren't made on a whim, they have input from both medical professionals as well as politicians. Everything we do from here on in is a gamble, some decisions will be good ones and others not so, but hindsight is a wonderful thing and they don't have bags of time to make important decisions. There will always be the temptation to wait another week, another fortnight but life must attempt to go on at some point.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

And there's the rub. What has been listed could hardly be described as essential, any of them. Deliveries may be but not collections.

But almost by definition no takeaway food is essential - whether collected or delivered.  But what are you going to do - issue lists of only approved foodstuffs and patrol the check-outs to make sure that only to correct ones have been bought?[1]  And then raid people's kitchens in case they are preparing then in a non-approved and overly-fancy manner.

[1]  Bizarrely there have been reports from the UK of some police forces doing just that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, finlo said:

Is that Jason Manford?

Well done.

He's their posterboy....

1 hour ago, The Chief said:

I would like to know whether it remains illegal to visit family after tomorrow, providing one practiced social distancing. 

Illegal?  Is it?

15 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I partly agree with you except that I am not sure they have clearly told the vulnerable that nothing has changed for them. They are the most at risk so it would be sensible to keep them out of harms way and let the rest get on with a more normal life. The needs of the many etc.

Social distancing rules are still in place, that includes places of work. And if potentially catching Coronavirus isn't enough to put you off staying 2m away from your colleagues, the fact that your current insurance won't cover you if you're within 2m of them, should. 

• Thanks 1