Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

5 minutes ago, ecobob said:

I was just about to say I’ve worked out who you are but then I remembered that no-one in Peel likes him. 

I call him the Odious Toad. (no offence to toads) His reopening of the icecream shop has nothing to do with the "small step" changes announced yesterday.

Joking aside, I wouldn't want to be in the position anyone in Public Health or CoMin (or the emergency body they mentioned today whose name I cannot recall) is currently in. You could offer me all their salaries combined and I'd still say "no, ta". I think they're doing a good job under the circumstances although they must not be communicating well enough.  I suspect 50% of the responsibility lies with Joe and Jan Public either not listening closely or just hearing what they wish to hear. If they weren't doing at least a reasonable job, we wouldn't have had the second day running with no new infections.

This is what I've heard over the last two days:

There has been no relaxation of social distancing or social gatherings. None of the previous guidance regarding either has changed.

People in the construction, gardening and allied industries may resume working provided they can do so while still observing the existing social distancing guidelines.

What have the rest of you heard?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I partly agree with you except that I am not sure they have clearly told the vulnerable that nothing has changed for them. They are the most at risk so it would be sensible to keep them out of harms way and let the rest get on with a more normal life. The needs of the many etc.

How exactly would you like them kept out of harms way? Maybe throw them all together under one roof like Abbotswood? Barricade the front doors of the elderly from the outside?

Some might feel they have lived a decent 80/90 years and they'll be damned if they are going to be kept under house arrest at this late stage. Who would blame them if they fancy an ice cream on a sunny day after 6 weeks indoors going stir crazy. What will be will be. 

The thing is the old folks need the vitamin D and they like to go and sit in the sun a bit to soak it up

Not sure that giving the opportunity to queue for ice cream is the right thing myself

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I've been thinking the same - that they've been explicit with the new guidelines. Sometimes I wonder if I'm listening to a different government briefing to others on here.

But it's not for you to say.  If some people don't understand what the briefings mean then they have failed in their job.  And (despite all the ways we abuse each other on MF) the sort of person who comments on here is going to be more engaged and interested in public affairs than average (or they wouldn't be here).  So if not everyone here is getting it right, then there is going to be a lot of misunderstanding among those less well-informed.

Anyway as far as I can tell from the Manx Radio LiveBlog (16:41) the "Guidelines will be published by 'the middle of tomorrow'" , so you can't really know they are explicit till then anyway.  You're just interpreting what has been said on various occasions.  So they won't be ready till some hours after they come into force.  Whatever you think about the changes, the way they have been communicated is amateurish at best.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 1

I think people have forgotten the reason for the lockdown in the first place. 

It was to help control the spread if the virus so the hospital/nhs isnt overwhelmed. They are now saying that the hospital have capacity to cope so why continue with all the restrictions? This is going to be a long term issue. This virus isnt going to be eradicated and a vaccine may be months or years away.  Thousands of people have continued to work this last month and the confirmed cases have been fairly low. People need to just be sensible about what they are doing.  The real issues will come when pubs restaurants re open 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Illegal?  Is it?

Well people appear to be getting fined and/or banged up for visiting premises other than their own..?

Just now, Non-Believer said:

Well people appear to be getting fined and/or banged up for visiting premises other than their own..?

Its covered under the prohibition of movement act 2020. Theres specific reasons why you can be out of your house. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

They are now saying that the hospital have capacity to cope so why continue with all the restrictions? This is going to be a long term issue. 

Probably because people will weep and wail (as we're seeing on here) when restrictions get lifted, so better to do it slowly?

Never thought I'd see the day when we were all locked up with people baying for more of it :(

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But it's not for you to say.  If some people don't understand what the briefings mean then they have failed in their job.  And (despite all the ways we abuse each other on MF) the sort of person who comments on here is going to be more engaged and interested in public affairs than average (or they wouldn't be here).  So if not everyone here is getting it right, then there is going to be a lot of misunderstanding among those less well-informed.

Anyway as far as I can tell from the Manx Radio LiveBlog (16:41) the "Guidelines will be published by 'the middle of tomorrow'" , so you can't really know they are explicit till then anyway.  You're just interpreting what has been said on various occasions.  So they won't be ready till some hours after they come into force.  Whatever you think about the changes, the way they have been communicated is amateurish at best.

You may have missed my subsequent post where I said I thought the miscommunication issue was probably 50/50. Maybe I'm giving too much credit to Howard and co, I don't know.

I do think it's a major mistake that they didn't have their published guidelines ready today. I have to say I was very disappointed in them for that.

13 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Its covered under the prohibition of movement act 2020. Theres specific reasons why you can be out of your house. 

This is why it's so confusing. Howard Quayle specifically said that the restrictions of only essential reasons for being out of your home no longer apply.

So what is the current legal status? Arrowsmith said during sentencing of some breaches that all IOM residents are fully aware of the law. But we're not.

26 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I call him the Odious Toad. (no offence to toads) His reopening of the icecream shop has nothing to do with the "small step" changes announced yesterday.

Actually that's not really true if you think about it.  He's opening because people will now be able to go out and buy an ice cream rather than just take their daily 'exercise'.  Before he could open to sell them, but they couldn't stop to buy.

5 minutes ago, Zarley said:

You may have missed my subsequent post where I said I thought the miscommunication issue was probably 50/50. Maybe I'm giving too much credit to Howard and co, I don't know.

I do think it's a major mistake that they didn't have their published guidelines ready today. I have to say I was very disappointed in them for that.

The comment wasn't really aimed at you (and I hadn't see the extra) but wanting to make to point about communications, which is far too often missed.  The real problem will be all those people paying much less attention who still 'know' what the guidelines say - which by coincidence will be whatever suits themselves.

The failure to have the guidelines ready isn't just disappointing it's astonishing.  It looks like they were bounced into this by the builders (who have produced risk assessments and so on).  In fact it looks like they wrote the 'draft' ones that were linked to earlier and the government just took them.  Nothing else would explain why that bit is so well organised and everything else is so shambolic.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

So is that 'don't' do MF or a tacit 'stop' doing MF???

We know who you are!!!

Edited by Kopek

13 minutes ago, quilp said:

Interesting comment...

_20200423_183231.JPG

It's not that fucking bad

• Like 2
  • Haha 5