Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

26 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

That's as may be, but will somebody know who infected him. And if it does not matter what is the point of tracing in the first place. Unless to waste money.

Well let's see. Person A comes down with a serious covid infection. Turns out he's only been in contact with persons B and C. Person B is his local shopkeeper, person C is a GP friend, one who regularly visits local nursing homes. Through contact tracing person B, the shopkeeper, is told he has been in contact with someone, person A (no names mentioned) which accounts for the symptoms he's been experiencing and is told to self-isolate. Person C, the GP,  is completely asymptomatic, but is infectious to others nevertheless and for a few days has done his rounds with his patients in the homes and surgery. The longer he carries out his business the more he is potentially a danger to those he comes into contact with. Fortunately, within 24/48 hours he is tested, found to be positive, self-isolates and the danger he poses to others has been removed.

Is this a waste of money? 

• Like 1

150 quid for a home testing swab kit which is then tested at a UK laboratory, perhaps the IOM Gov might be able to make some money back after all.

I think Trump actually has a point about sunlight.

Could we open up care homes so that they get more direct sunlight as just one of the elements in overall coronavirus mitigation planning?

6 minutes ago, piebaps said:

I wasn't tested. Just advised to self-isolate for 14 days and if symptoms developed to ring 111.

.and as such, you are presumably not on any of the stats released? The positives and told to isolate?

Maybe the stats kept by the medicos would have you in there somewhere but are you on the daily press release?

Are you and others on contact racing, poss 20+ a pop not included anywhere?

I'm presuming that the 'told to isolates' have not been tested and are not on the positives 'told to isolate' list???

36 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

I think Trump actually has a point about sunlight.

Could we open up care homes so that they get more direct sunlight...

Great plan...let’s simply take off the roofs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Too many mixed messages with this relaxation starting today IMO.

The virus will take full advantage of this and be back with rising cases in 10 days.

Should have done the construction one first and the exercise/outings one a week later - all restrictions fully explained and emphasised.

Stupidity beyond belief the way it's been done.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, piebaps said:

I wasn't tested. Just advised to self-isolate for 14 days and if symptoms developed to ring 111.

Had you been English then you would have... :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Too many mixed messages with this relaxation starting today IMO.

The virus will take full advantage of this and be back with rising cases in 10 days.

Should have done the construction one first and the exercise/outings one a week later - all restrictions fully explained and emphasised.

Stupidity beyond belief the way it's been done.

Not wrong Albert. Went for my usual cycle along the promenade this afternoon and was amazed at the numbers sitting on the beach, generally hanging around chatting.

10 hours ago, Cambon said:

Another way of looking at it are (again government figures) 70 active cases, (47)of which are  Abbotswood. Leaving 23. Last week there were, again, 47 healthcare workers recovering who mainly caught it whilst working at the hospital. On top of that a couple of inmates at the prison were self isolating. 

That sounds like an awful lot Cambon, are you sure? It would be very worrying if this figure is accurate, it would become difficult to run the hospital if that infection rate continued I would think?

Posted (edited)

I don't know Max? Ashford has several times referred to the 'Italian Experience' where cancer treatment patients would be at greater risk from CoroV if they were to continue recieving treatment at Nobles.

That would imply that they are at a greater risk of getting CoroV in Nobles than in the community? Of course we could infer that Nobles is rife with the bug? If Nobles is a hot bed, then a high number of CoroV staff would not be unusual???

There is apparently spare capacity ast Nobles, so would it be that the cancer treatments areas have been passed over to CoroV and therefore, they cannot treat cancer patients now?

Taken along with the decision not to take Abbotswood people to Nobles, just who is taking these arbitrary decisions to treat or not to treat these people?

Is Ashford covering up for deficiencies at Nobles for cancer treatment by highlighting the danger of CoroV???

Edited by Kopek

40 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I don't know Max? Ashford has several times referred to the 'Italian Experience' where cancer treatment patients would be at greater risk from CoroV if they were to continue recieving treatment at Nobles.

That would imply that they are at a greater risk of getting CoroV in Nobles than in the community? Of course we could infer that Nobles is rife with the bug? If Nobles is a hot bed, then a high number of CoroV staff would not be unusual???

There is apparently spare capacity ast Nobles, so would it be that the cancer treatments areas have been passed over to CoroV and therefore, they cannot treat cancer patients now?

Taken along with the decision not to take Abbotswood people to Nobles, just who is taking these arbitrary decisions to treat or not to treat these people?

Is Ashford covering up for deficiencies at Nobles for cancer treatment by highlighting the danger of CoroV???

1. We’re still treating cancers surgically.
  2. cancer chemotherapy has all but stopped - it kills your immune system so if you get covid you probably die (from covid, not from cancer)
  3. Radiotherapy is never done at Noble’s - there is a limited service carrying on in Clatterbridge. 

Arbitrary decisions? Is that really how people think stuff happens?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, wrighty said:
  2. cancer chemotherapy has all but stopped - it kills your immune system so if you get covid you probably die (from covid, not from cancer)
  3. Radiotherapy is never done at Noble’s - there is a limited service carrying on in Clatterbridge. 

Yep

Nope.

Now, any thoughts on how long we are to be isolated from our nearest and dearest? I have been considering moving in with my elderly parents, I thought this week might bring some clarity to the situation, but "social distancing" from family still applies. As Declan said, I can only see them if I cut their grass and invoice them!

I cannot continue being banned from seeing my parents. This is no life? Do I move in with them now or will we see an end to this nonsense anytime soon? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Only fools. As is often the case, it is a vocal minority that are least able to reason that their opinion and input offers the least value.

I really think they expect you to say: Thanks, person who knows absolutely nothing about running a health service, I will be sure to discuss the points you raise in our next emergency meeting.

5 minutes ago, Butterflies said:

Nope.

Now, any thoughts on how long we are to be isolated from our nearest and dearest? I have been considering moving in with my elderly parents, I thought this week might bring some clarity to the situation, but "social distancing" from family still applies. As Declan said, I can only see them if I cut their grass and invoice them!

I cannot continue being banned from seeing my parents. This is no life? Do I move in with them now or will we see an end to this nonsense anytime soon? 

Why would you want to put them at risk by moving in with them?