Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

@wrighty  Ian, you were excellent yesterday. I’ve commented elsewhere that it would have been good to have wheeled you out a few weeks ago to explain how things were going to work. I think that would have provided so much more clarity for people, and likely raised public confidence. 

I think the comments by others on arbitrary decisions are interesting. Within any of the public services, there is always a sit down and work through. My only major concern so far was whether it would have been better to go much earlier with border closures and introduce the quarantine Centre then. But that is done and dusted and it is what it is. I’ve no real issue with the trades going back either, as long as there is some means to do some HSWI spot checking - it’s not the biggest team in the world. The public relaxation bit - would another couple of weeks have hurt that much? We are into such low numbers now there was an outside chance we might have just chased the virus into extinction here. That offered scope to open up a lot more of our economy early. Hopefully we might still achieve it.

I think one of the weak links throughout has been the Comms side. It’s just been a bit clunky in places and it’s hard to fathom why. Good people in there. It sometimes happens where PR people aren’t given a seat at the meetings and just told what went on. I’d really hope that there is one of them present at every major gathering, such as the gold group, and CoMin. 

Once again Ian, super job, and thanks. 

I commented weeks ago at the extraordinary absence of medics from the daily briefings. Such was Wrighty’s excellent, cogent and informative contribution yesterday that I feel vindicated. We should have had progressive briefings from him as the work he described was maturing. Had this been done, the whole complexion of the debate would have been enhanced.

Edited to add - correct Derek; the comms side has been lacklustre at best - a topic for considerable reflection when this is all behind us.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 4

I’d like to add my thanks too. That was the first briefing where I actually felt informed and also trusted the information that was being disseminated. 

You're right Derek and I think we have to accept this. When the CC and others have to try to explain to the public the current state of affairs then it’s clear that what’s being said is neither understood not trusted.

I posted here on Wednesday (possibly) that although I hadn’t heard the CM’s briefing I could tell a major change had been announced as there were more people out and about than I’ve seen in weeks. It can’t be that everyone is stupid (although I concede a large proportion are) it’s more likely that the information briefing is not getting the salient points out there. 

You can laugh about ‘The Wee Cranky’ but her daily briefings are excellent and leave the listener in no doubt about what is expected of them. 

• Like 1

This is an interesting idea, relax the lockdown for close family members of up to 10 people and up to 3 households. 

I too echo the thanks to wrighty, well done sir, an excellent and informative briefing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Had you been English then you would have... :thumbsup:

No, those clowns were only testing hospital cases at that time. Plus, it would've been instantly recognizable as I'd have been on here telling everyone how shit the Isle of Man is.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Butterflies said:

As I have explained, it is not illegal to move in with family or friends, as long as you're not just 'visiting'. 

See this this about a woman who recently moved herself and her kids back into the parents house or this about moving into a friends house.

Ecobob, I do believe this to be a nonsense. We must all socially distance from family and friends but co-workers are ok? Like many I and my family would rather take our chances with the virus now than remain locked up for much longer.

I realise this is entirely futile now, as you will do whatever you want but you do understand the law is different on the Isle of Man to in the UK? 

Again, you have made up your mind, and your attitude towards the situation is reckless. Lots of people will be getting fed up and upset by this situation but if everyone did as you're suggesting, we risk going back to square one. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Butterflies said:

As I have explained, it is not illegal to move in with family or friends, as long as you're not just 'visiting'. 

See this this about a woman who recently moved herself and her kids back into the parents house or this about moving into a friends house.

Ecobob, I do believe this to be a nonsense. We must all socially distance from family and friends but co-workers are ok? Like many I and my family would rather take our chances with the virus now than remain locked up for much longer.

For one, those articles are about people in England. We're not in England (and there's still a boat in the morning). Our guidelines, restrictions and emergency legislation are different to England.

In the first article you linked to, the family moving into the parents' home self-isolated for two weeks before making the move. "So after self-isolating for two weeks - while her husband stayed in a hotel - Jen and her two children moved in with her parents, who live a short drive away in Buckinghamshire."

Are you willing to self-isolate for two weeks before you move, and are you willing to continue to self-isolate with them after you move? Do your parents have underlying health problems and if so, are they ones that would make it more difficult to survive should they become infected? Have you thought about contacting your parents' doctor to get medical advice about making this move?

I have a family member who has cancer and is on a transplant list. We (the family) were considering moving this person into one of the family homes, but after taking advice from the medical team treating this person, it was decided the current situation was in the best interest of the person in question, and everyone else as well.

Edited by Zarley
wrong word choice who/that

Posted (edited)

The Isle of Man Government should let UK fly in people with serious cases of Covid-19. We've got hospital capacity so no problem there, and there is always the NSC or wherever.

That way the people would die on the Isle of Man.

It wouldn't make that much difference to our figures anyway and it doesn't really matter - who's watching? It would take pressure off the UK, especially when it comes to Covid-19 death rate figures.

This would make us friends with the UK Government again, which can't be a bad thing.

There would be a charge of course and that's the point. We'd have lots of money again to do stuff. We could get the Governor back out to ann ounce each death. It would give him something, well a lot actually, to do something other than drink tea and eat canopés and that.

Edited to add:

(I think Skel has seem the above post)

Source: https://live.24liveblog.com/live/UucK1

Skelly says he can't reveal exactly what DfE is looking at as his department is 'looking to steal an advantage' in a certain market.

Edited by gettafa

No they don't have health issues, like myself they are still going out for shopping, takeaways and walks etc so I see no reason to self-isolate beforehand (if we go ahead). You are aware that lots of people already live with their parents aren't you? There is no big increase of risk here, and my understanding of the situation is that the virus isnt going away, current measures are to slow the spread only, not to eradicate. Meaning it is only a matter of time until most people get it.

The legislation in place does not preclude individuals choosing to become one household as far as I can see, but if you believe it does, please feel free to provide a link or quote.

Well the “vital” track relay on the MER at half way house crossing has restarted. They seem to have been given face masks but not sure how wearing them just cover your chin or neck  and not your nose/mouth stops the virus or protects others.

Skellys doing today’s press conference - Starship Enterprise are investigating various opportunities post Coronavirus. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/live-blog-coronavirus-media-conference-saturday-25-april/

Surprise Surprise he won’t divulge. I’m surprised Commercial Confidentiality didn’t get mentioned. However, he was full of praise at the Treasury, who have been given powers to borrow money ranging from £5mil to £50mil, without Tynpotwald approval or debate. So perhaps we are going to get - 

Virtual TT?

Virtuall TT World Series?

Another Vision 9 fiasco?

Another TT World Series Screw Up?

The list could be endless. Imagine no Tynpotwald approval, the Starship Enterprise could run riot. As has been mentioned many times, we could have another Barclays scenario all over again. Not funny really, it’s us taxpayers who have to foot the bill!

17 minutes ago, Butterflies said:

No they don't have health issues, like myself they are still going out for shopping, takeaways and walks etc so I see no reason to self-isolate beforehand (if we go ahead). You are aware that lots of people already live with their parents aren't you? There is no big increase of risk here, and my understanding of the situation is that the virus isnt going away, current measures are to slow the spread only, not to eradicate. Meaning it is only a matter of time until most people get it.

The legislation in place does not preclude individuals choosing to become one household as far as I can see, but if you believe it does, please feel free to provide a link or quote.

It is too late weeks after social isolation began to now decide whose house you want to live in. The regulations are clearly there that household must not mingle. You are merely trying to circumnavigate the legislation because you no longer want to maintain distance from your family- like the rest of us are all doing. The police have clearly stated we must not visit other households. 

5F391663-A269-4DB2-855C-B8BBD3BBB9C9.jpeg

01870DE1-19CC-4DFB-9499-C8A6511D7666.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Butterflies said:

You are aware that lots of people already live with their parents aren't you? 

yes, they're called children.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/23/2020 at 9:59 PM, gettafa said:

Well you'd better get used to sitting in the sand in Port Erin, or taking a visit to see the Laxey Wheel (that's in Laxey) or slurping an ice cream in Peel

Why's that, I would imagine leisure travel will be back up and running in July?

• Haha 1

Optimistic. Doubt if it will be encouraged

• Like 1