Coronavirus Isle of Man

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

See, I know what you're saying and kind of agree, but he was an absolute prick in that press conference yesterday. Not the calm, reasoned and informed authority required but a petty, aggressive goon. He deserves some shit for yesterday.

Constructive criticism maybe. He must be under considerable stress right now, as are all of them. He clearly cares about the place and wants to do the right thing. So far they are showing decent leadership given the situation, resources and challenges they face. Let's work with them, not against. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, trmpton said:

life needs to carry on to some extend or the economic implications will be disastrous, but to claim it will only impact the vulnerable and that everyone else will just get a cold is just a bit stupid.

Glad I don’t have to be making the decisions government are at the moment. Sure as hell whatever they do they won’t receive anything but negativity from people who claim to know better.

I essentially agree. There is a balanced approach required between not lets do nothing or we are all going to die. Equally we should not be scarring everybody so that they think that if they catch or it is already around they will die. I have heard perfectly normal healthy kids ask whether if they catch conoravirus will I die because that is what they have heard, seen or been told might be the case. That sort of scaremongering I find disgraceful.

I would be in favour of closing schools next week as this would help infection spreading uncontrollably if it is already in the population and if it is not we will know in a couple of weeks and they can all go back after the holidays.

This is now the new norm, probably for at least a year, as until there is a vaccine it will spread again if it is in the community and controls are lifted 

• Like 1

He needs to remember what happened to Churchill (never did I think I would mention this cm at the same as Churchill) He led the country through a world war and was competent. And still got dumped on his ass afterwards. Best be careful in using special powers also, people have long memory's

3 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Constructive criticism maybe. He must be under considerable stress right now, as are all of them. He clearly cares about the place and wants to do the right thing. So far they are showing decent leadership given the situation, resources and challenges they face. Let's work with them, not against. 

He/the Government can not win. If they brought in very stringent controls, closed schools etc and no positive cases where found in the IoM the same critics would be complaining that they over reacted and who is going to reimburse them for having to take time off work to look after their kids etc.

For weeks people have been posting that they know there are definitely cases on the IoM. Apparently they were wrong but no criticism of those people. The Govt makes a factual statement which is superseded by events and scorn pours forth.

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

He/the Government can not win. If they brought in very stringent controls, closed schools etc and no positive cases where found in the IoM the same critics would be complaining that they over reacted and who is going to reimburse them for having to take time off work to look after their kids etc.

For weeks people have been posting that they know there are definitely cases on the IoM. Apparently they were wrong but no criticism of those people. The Govt makes a factual statement which is superseded by events and scorn pours forth.

Exactly this. 

I’ve been, effectively, self isolating since I got back from hospital appointments in Liverpool on 11 March. No symptoms, but I’m probably at higher risk due to leukaemia. I just haven’t wanted to go out, I work from home, anyway.

Ive had an open mind about closing restaurants, pubs, bars, cafes and theatres/cinemas. But I think the time has now come.

Out in Spain the 2nd nearest town to my holiday home, with the largest county hospital,  is Igualada. It, and it’s satellite suburban villages ( total population 70,000 ),  is in quarantine lock down with armed police and soldiers blocking the roads in and out.

I have friends there. Since 9 March there have been 200+ diagnosed cases, 19 deaths, and 90+ of those affected were Drs and nurses at the Nobles sized hospital.

All from a lunch held for, and attended by, hospital staff on 28 February.

https://www.catalannews.com/society-science/item/80-person-lunch-led-to-coronavirus-outbreak-in-igualada

I don’t agree with suggestion of no arrivals/departures. Self isolation on arrival can be just as effective. But breaches and social interaction can have huge consequences.

• Thanks 1

So, how far are we away from a lockdown do we reckon?

Not been active on here for a while but looks like I'm set to be back on the island for the foreseeable soon. I'll be taking my own vehicle home, into a seperate part of the house for only my use, and staying seperate for the 2 weeks. At best, I might go as far as the garden when everyone is out.

Is there an advice line for self-isolators? Website says garden is allowed, what about driveway at side of house? I'd be able to get plenty of mechanical stuff done if I'm not allowed to leave for two weeks, but don't want to push my luck.

Other question is the 14 days, does that mean I can leave the house on a Monday 2 weeks later if I arrived on a Monday? or would I have to wait til the Tuesday?

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
16 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

So, how far are we away from a lockdown do we reckon?

Not been active on here for a while but looks like I'm set to be back on the island for the foreseeable soon. I'll be taking my own vehicle home, into a seperate part of the house for only my use, and staying seperate for the 2 weeks. At best, I might go as far as the garden when everyone is out.

Is there an advice line for self-isolators? Website says garden is allowed, what about driveway at side of house? I'd be able to get plenty of mechanical stuff done if I'm not allowed to leave for two weeks, but don't want to push my luck.

Other question is the 14 days, does that mean I can leave the house on a Monday 2 weeks later if I arrived on a Monday? or would I have to wait til the Tuesday?

here is not the place for sensible advice.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1
41 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’ve been, effectively, self isolating since I got back from hospital appointments in Liverpool on 11 March. No symptoms, but I’m probably at higher risk due to leukaemia. I just haven’t wanted to go out, I work from home, anyway.

Ive had an open mind about closing restaurants, pubs, bars, cafes and theatres/cinemas. But I think the time has now come.

Out in Spain the 2nd nearest town to my holiday home, with the largest county hospital,  is Igualada. It, and it’s satellite suburban villages ( total population 70,000 ),  is in quarantine lock down with armed police and soldiers blocking the roads in and out.

I have friends there. Since 9 March there have been 200+ diagnosed cases, 19 deaths, and 90+ of those affected were Drs and nurses at the Nobles sized hospital.

All from a lunch held for, and attended by, hospital staff on 28 February.

https://www.catalannews.com/society-science/item/80-person-lunch-led-to-coronavirus-outbreak-in-igualada

I don’t agree with suggestion of no arrivals/departures. Self isolation on arrival can be just as effective. But breaches and social interaction can have huge consequences.

Sorry , but I think that's nonsense - if we had closed the ports just on saturday , the "1st" case wouldn't have happened along with the possible infection of others .