Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

10 minutes ago, Manx Expat said:

We could have taken sensible measures that were nowhere near a lockdown. There are now 6.000.000 depending on benefits because of lockdown. Far more people than who have had their lives destroyed by the virus. 

a lot of the 6 million will likely be back in the job they were doing before lockdown,  government are only paying them  to stay at home because the employers don't have the cash to carry them, and even if they did have the cash why would they when government will

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Golfer said:

Alf is on mannin line today so fire a few questions into there for wint to ask.

1 hour ago, WTF said:

they get edited out too, 

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

especially if wint didn't think of them first!  

1 hour ago, Beelzebub3 said:

I have sent several emails to the Mannin line over the last 3 weeks about repatriation and not one was read out or questioned, it seems like they only want questions that suits him.

Stu Peters always read out emails, provided of course they were decent, honest, truthful etc And never used to try and reword them on the sly.
Just did the job.
It was entertaining and interesting.

I wouldn't give Andy Wint the time of day. He would probably alter it to the 24 hour clock, add a few minutes and then patronisingly tell me I was wrong.

1 hour ago, forestboy said:

Bring back Stu

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

a lot of the 6 million will likely be back in the job they were doing before lockdown,  government are only paying them  to stay at home because the employers don't have the cash to carry them, and even if they did have the cash why would they when government will

That’s simply not true I’m afraid. Many companies are using furloughing as an excuse for downsizing. They’re seeing that they can operate without the staff furloughed and a considerable percentage of the 6,000,000 won’t be going back to work. At least not with the same employer. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WTF said:

I would disagree with you there.

A lot of people will not go back to work because their company won't exist.   You could argue that over the course of a couple of years some recovery will take place and new businesses will start but unemployment figures will be exceptionally high.

On island it is clear things are going to take a long time to sort given the current ongoing cessation of day to day life.  Alf has already made that clear by asking to extend the timeframe (and thereby the amount paid out) with the various support schemes.

The entire hotel industry is in a precarious position.  As are a number of areas.  The numbers are really are quite scary and must be giving Alf sleepless nights.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, forestboy said:

Bring back Stu

God no. He may be a nice bloke, I have no idea as I have never met him, but my his own admission on here once he became a freelancer and only effectively got paid for time broadcasting he did basically no preparation and learned of the topic when he arrived at the studio. I  paraphrase and I am sure that the gist is correct if not all the niceties.  He was also, as he admits not, a journalist which is not necessary a prerequisite for the show but trying to hide your personal opinions should be as should be seeing a matter from various point of views so that you can stimulate a discussion. If caller A gives their opinion that the answer is back the presenter should be able to challenge on the basis that it is probably white. If caller B says it is white the presenters job should be to suggest it is white.

Stu, to his credit, never held himself to be that sort of presenter and when I listed his stock phrase when a caller said something that was in line with his view was "I think I agree with that".  At times callers were spouting rubbish, sometimes almost in conspiracy theory territory, and Stu would pipe up "I think I agree with that".

I have not heard Wint since he has been back on Manx Radio but in his previous stint I thought he was good on Mannin Line as he could get a discussion going and he would give alternative points of view to the callers. I don't know if he is still doing that but I liked that style compared to Stu's. Others may not as they may view it as him taking over rather than letting the callers just have your say. As they say did is just down to personal opinion and most of us. like arseholes, have one.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Worth pointing out that the last two weeks of published ONS stats have the UK death rate running at more than double the usual. Also, take a look at the recovery times for people in hospital, like that woman over here who has just completely missed April in an coma. Deaths are the headline, but like the TT its the ones who get fucked up but don't die who could actually be the worst cases.

I don't know why people keep insisting on intentionally missing this point. The general time survivors are on ventilators in ITU is 4 weeks, and that's the case all over the world. It wouldn't take many serious cases to completely block all of the ITU facilities - which is what is happened in Italy and New York, they were simply overwhelmed. 

People seem to think that if the hospitals haven't been completely overrun, then it's all either been a hoax or an over-reaction? 

It was never about the total number of deaths for the duration of the pandemic, it was about avoiding overwhelming the health services by having all those deaths happening at once. 

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

A lot of people will not go back to work because their company won't exist.   You could argue that over the course of a couple of years some recovery will take place and new businesses will start but unemployment figures will be exceptionally high.

On island it is clear things are going to take a long time to sort given the current ongoing cessation of day to day life.  Alf has already made that clear by asking to extend the timeframe (and thereby the amount paid out) with the various support schemes.

The entire hotel industry is in a precarious position.  As are a number of areas.  The numbers are really are quite scary and must be giving Alf sleepless nights.

Not just that...some businesses that may be in a seemingly strong position in the short term, are likely to be in a more precarious position in the medium and longer term i.e.  even some of the ones chipping into the system currently, will likely run into problems in 3 or 4 months. In some sectors there is currently a fairly slow domino effect taking place, but there is evidence this is already starting to accelerate.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I think a lot of UK companies will pick up where they left off, if they ever shut down at all. The UK banks are almost falling over themselves to offer help with funding via the various UKG options and for their own products (I know because I have received information on both counts). However, there will be many (perhaps smaller) businesses out there who will find it hard to re-start because prior to the lockdown their business probably wasn't sustainable/profitable. However, I envisage a resurgence in the private equity/funding sector for SMEs, such as fundingcircle.com. So all is not doom and gloom. 

ETA: I might be wrong but didn't one of IOM's private funding players close down last year because IOMG/DfE had effectively shut them out? 

Edited by Andy Onchan

11 minutes ago, Feelslike said:

I don't know why people keep insisting on intentionally missing this point.

It's because they're twats.

Me Newbie, On the bus, notwell et al are a bunch of complete morons who would probably fit in the Trump administration. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

like that woman over here who has just completely missed April in an coma.

I appreciate that this is a serious matter of course, but I can't help think I know how she feels.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

The numbers are really are quite scary and must be giving Alf sleepless nights.

The only number he needs to know is the reserves. Over £1billion (?) can't be bad. He'll sleep.

5 minutes ago, gettafa said:

The only number he needs to know is the reserves. Over £1billion (?) can't be bad. He'll sleep.

Of course he will.... it's not his money.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I think a lot of UK companies will pick up where they left off, if they ever shut down at all. The UK banks are almost falling over themselves to offer help with funding via the various UKG options and for their own products (I know because I have received information on both counts). However, there will be many (perhaps smaller) businesses out there who will find it hard to re-start because prior to the lockdown their business probably wasn't sustainable/profitable. However, I envisage a resurgence in the private equity/funding sector for SMEs, such as fundingcircle.com. So all is not doom and gloom. 

ETA: I might be wrong but didn't one of IOM's private funding players close down last year because IOMG/DfE had effectively shut them out? 

You’re right in general with regards to the UK and that’s why I’m now very negative on the local economy. The way the UK government has reacted has left the DfE with nothing to sell. If you’re self employed, a start up, or an SME would you move to a location which has proved its skint and can’t afford to bail out the self employed or anyone else and spends months drowning you in red tape before turning down your request for support in the worst crisis you’ve ever had as it has no money or would you stay in the UK and take the compensation, the free loans, the funding grants and other stuff if this happens again? We will see loads of SMEs heading back to the UK after this as Skelly’s Department has been shown to be utterly useless and miserly. Why on earth would anyone come to the IOM in future? We can’t afford to support businesses the way the UK can if another crisis hits so why would anyone take to risk just to potentially save a few quid in tax? We don’t have anything to sell anymore as we’ve proved the cupboard is bare and we’ve refused to bail a huge number of people out who would have been eligible for immediate support in the UK. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Of course he will.... it's not his money.

We're still going to need £250m loan if this carries on much longer

free IOM!'

8 minutes ago, Manx Expat said:

You’re right in general with regards to the UK and that’s why I’m now very negative on the local economy. The way the UK government has reacted has left the DfE with nothing to sell. If you’re self employed, a start up, or an SME would you move to a location which has proved its skint and can’t afford to bail out the self employed or anyone else and spends months drowning you in red tape before turning down your request for support in the worst crisis you’ve ever had as it has no money or would you stay in the UK and take the compensation, the free loans, the funding grants and other stuff if this happens again? We will see loads of SMEs heading back to the UK after this as Skelly’s Department has been shown to be utterly useless and miserly. Why on earth would anyone come to the IOM in future? We can’t afford to support businesses the way the UK can if another crisis hits so why would anyone take to risk just to potentially save a few quid in tax? We don’t have anything to sell anymore as we’ve proved the cupboard is bare and we’ve refused to bail a huge number of people out who would have been eligible for immediate support in the UK. 

And you still want to come back!

• Haha 2