Coronavirus Isle of Man

On The Bus

So on what should have been s massive celebration for ve day what did people do?

Our whole cul de sac came out talked put on 40s music which was excellent by the way and ordered takeaways from the local pizza shop. Was actually great to see that in these times a small community coming together 

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

So on what should have been s massive celebration for ve day what did people do?

Our whole cul de sac came out talked put on 40s music which was excellent by the way and ordered takeaways from the local pizza shop. Was actually great to see that in these times a small community coming together 

I for one enjoyed the community spirit.

Probably not on the same level as what it was in the 1940's but it's nice to think about. Maybe some of it will stick after this is all over?

1 hour ago, Southfork said:

The beardy mans reasons are very clear in that clip. This has little to do with abuse of emergency powers and all about taking holidays off people who feel massively entitled to them even during a global pandemic where unemployment for other people is skyrocketing. 

I wouldn't be too concerned Southfork, it takes all sorts to make a world and I suppose it's a sign that government have at least kept some level of normality that people feel that the holiday was important?

22 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I wouldn't be too concerned Southfork, it takes all sorts to make a world and I suppose it's a sign that government have at least kept some level of normality that people feel that the holiday was important?

At least they know a cockup when they see one.

Or have maybe learned to deliver the good news then the bad!

9 hours ago, Max Power said:

A level of normality for some Max would be to be allowed to have a job and an income. But no it’s all about not taking public holidays off the public sector. We can take jobs off people and close down businesses though and nobody seems too bothered. i really think this is the most pathetic small minded thing I have ever seen in the IOM and just endorses the pathetic sense of self-entitlement that exists on government circles. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They have not taken a bank holiday off anyone, they have moved it to a later date when more people can appreciate it because hopefully by August normal service will be resumed and people will get a four day break.   There are ten bank holidays usually and there are still ten bank holidays.   In this time of crisis, people dying, thirty odd people in hospital very ill it is pathetic the way some people are kicking off before they get the whole story and start conspiracy tales.  Okay the announcement was a bit back to front but the suggestion of August bank holiday was mentioned a while ago perhaps people thought they were getting an extra one and that is why the hysteria, it would have been nice but perhaps not sensible when a lot of people are struggling financially.   The gutter press stir some shit up they are the group that have not pulled together or been helpful in this dreadful time, stupid questions, repeating questions already asked, not listening to previous information given guilty as charged.  The media of this Island have just proved what a lot of idiots they are without a doubt.  Too busy trying to score points, pathetic.   There were some decent questions but very few and far between  I think they should cut down these interviews and just announce new cases, deaths, and numbers in hospital on the news and let the Ministers get on with the work they are doing.

2 hours ago, Southfork said:

A level of normality for some Max would be to be allowed to have a job and an income. But no it’s all about not taking public holidays off the public sector. We can take jobs off people and close down businesses though and nobody seems too bothered. i really think this is the most pathetic small minded thing I have ever seen in the IOM and just endorses the pathetic sense of self-entitlement that exists on government circles. 

You're right of course, but it was a stupid thing to do anyway. The last thing that's needed is people getting themselves in a state over something as daft as this. I imagine it wasn't just the public sector kicking off though, some private sector bosses love a bit of confusion and use it as an excuse to remove holiday entitlement in the future. I've worked for people like this in the dark past. 

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

You're right of course, but it was a stupid thing to do anyway. The last thing that's needed is people getting themselves in a state over something as daft as this. I imagine it wasn't just the public sector kicking off though, some private sector bosses love a bit of confusion and use it as an excuse to remove holiday entitlement in the future. I've worked for people like this in the dark past. 

Think a lot of these concerned were not thinking about the holiday, they were thinking about the time and a half or double time they’d be missing.

• Like 1

Just now, Townend said:

Think a lot of these concerned were not thinking about the holiday, they were thinking about the time and a half or double time they’d be missing.

Surprised at how the media whipped up the hysteria over a bank holiday, but the 2.75% pay rise for all public sector no matter what enormous salary they were on was largely ignored!!

this pay rise with extra pension contributions etc must add at least £15m to annual wage bill at a time Government finances depleted.

• Like 3

I am surprised at how far off the predicted curve we are and glad that we are.

Have we done a fantastic job of  suppressing the virus, or was the prediction curve inaccurate or is there another factor involved? Obviously its was a prediction of a completely unprecedented event but its way way off. 

image.thumb.png.5ab3977e57107d9a5a14dea3fae844bc.png

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

I think you’ll find it was almost entirely fueled by the public sector sense of self-entitlement.  The man in the clip even identifies himself as a key worker who thinks they have been swizzled. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny F said:

Have we done a fantastic job of  suppressing the virus, or was the prediction curve inaccurate or is there another factor involved? Obviously its was a prediction of a completely unprecedented event but its way way off. 

The best defence is a good offence. Or something.

32 minutes ago, Johnny F said:

I'm not sure why they keep churning this graph out, every day. It's a bit like showing us the weather forecast for last month.

Surely there must be something more meaningful, based in what has actually happened, and what might happen from this point forward.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I'm not sure why they keep churning this graph out, every day. It's a bit like showing us the weather forecast for last month.

Surely there must be something more meaningful, based in what has actually happened, and what might happen from this point forward.

It’s more like displaying the weather forecast for an alternative universe. It’s a chart of what’s actually happened compared to a load of made up numbers.