Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

1 hour ago, Golfer said:

They will be making a fortune from the spar shops and are taking advantage of Government schemes for all pub workers, also have the transport division which will busy with freight.

Yes their diversification into Spar and logistics must really be paying off otherwise they’d be stuffed. Sticking at least £3 on the pre Covid price of every bottle of wine they sell when everyone’s locked in at home boozing will have made them a fortune too. Shamefully opportunistic. Can’t see any of their pub staff going back until mid August earliest though. 

• Like 1

U.K. Giving hints about tax rises to pay the cost of furlough etc, Alf will be hoping it's an increase on vat & fuels so he gets a windfall without putting the rates up.

IOM will need to raise taxes to pay the £200/300m cost plus 15/20m to cover recent public sector 2.75% pay rise.

Surely the point of reserves is for emergencies like this? They shouldn't need to put taxes up at all.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Golfer said:

U.K. Giving hints about tax rises to pay the cost of furlough etc, Alf will be hoping it's an increase on vat & fuels so he gets a windfall without putting the rates up.

IOM will need to raise taxes to pay the £200/300m cost plus 15/20m to cover recent public sector 2.75% pay rise.

He should get a considerable windfall in VAT rebate for online shopping during the period. Although it won't anything like make up for the amount of money that's been shipped off-Island in those same purchases. The IoM and Govt has been haemorraging money in these weeks.

I sincerely hope that there's a world consensus to levy a windfall tax on Amazon and Co for this period.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Southfork said:

Yes their diversification into Spar and logistics must really be paying off otherwise they’d be stuffed. Sticking at least £3 on the pre Covid price of every bottle of wine they sell when everyone’s locked in at home boozing will have made them a fortune too. Shamefully opportunistic. Can’t see any of their pub staff going back until mid August earliest though. 

If anybody is stupid enough to buy their booze (or anything else) from any of H&B's off licences or outlets then they deserve all they get. Any local supermarket is 2/3rd or half the price.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Golfer said:

A VAT increase isn't likely.  Or hugely helpful given the lack of spend.   Fuel is the big one.  Such a massive earner for a government yet consumption down enormously. 

I suspect the true cost on island will be closer to a billion because the effects of this will be felt for several years.

3 hours ago, Hmmmm said:

Surprised the Brewery have not been more vocal on the continuing closure.  They are a big employer on the island and would have expected rumblings of redundancies and streamlining of services etc.  

I'm not sure that they are that big an employer - at least on the pub side.  Most staff will be casuals, effectively on zero hours and will go on to unemployment benefits and delivery staff will be delivering other things.  But B&H have been trying to get rid of their pubs for years, so any excuse to flog them off for redevelopment will be seized on with great enthusiasm. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm not sure that they are that big an employer - at least on the pub side.  Most staff will be casuals, effectively on zero hours and will go on to unemployment benefits and delivery staff will be delivering other things.  But B&H have been trying to get rid of their pubs for years, so any excuse to flog them off for redevelopment will be seized on with great enthusiasm. 

They don't have large amounts of zero hour contractors really.

The alcohol side is not the profit driver in their business anymore.  Far from it.   Mannin Retail is. As is Trade Distribution.   And TD on island ( the largest) have a much bigger UK operation. 

Very astute business people behind H & B.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Surely the point of reserves is for emergencies like this? They shouldn't need to put taxes up at all.

Interestingly when Jason Moorhouse raised this in Tynwald a few weeks ago Alf Cannan's response was "surely the honourable member isn't suggesting we disinvest".

3 hours ago, Southfork said:

Can't say I've noticed any increase at all and the wife has only just quit working for Spar after 5 years,and she'd notice. Having said that,if it did increase,it's all supply and demand,just like almost everything else on the market

15 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Can't say I've noticed any increase at all and the wife has only just quit working for Spar after 5 years,and she'd notice. Having said that,if it did increase,it's all supply and demand,just like almost everything else on the market

I have seen a lot of this moaning about Spar putting prices up of Facebook yet no one is complaining about Tesco. My weekly shop has gone up from about £90 to £120 and I'm buying pretty much the same item's. Tesco had basically cut all promotions and offers on food and I imagine it's the same in all supermarkets. 

10 minutes ago, madmanx90 said:

I have seen a lot of this moaning about Spar putting prices up of Facebook yet no one is complaining about Tesco. My weekly shop has gone up from about £90 to £120 and I'm buying pretty much the same item's. Tesco had basically cut all promotions and offers on food and I imagine it's the same in all supermarkets. 

I find Castletown Co-op offer some good offers/discounts 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Southfork said:

It’s going to be end of August before pubs, clubs and restaurants allowed to open.

https://www.three.fm/news/coronavirus/pubs-clubs-and-restaurants-to-open-by-end-of-august/