Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The Teachers Unions ,there are about four, were at loggerheads with the Dept.of Ed.before this virus reared it’s ugly head over pay and judging by the tone of one of the representatives on MR, the nations station, they are not in any hurry to find a way forward, perhaps if they were on a reduced salary it may concentrate the members minds but at this moment in time they will be reluctant to return to school anytime before Christmas.

I don’t have a particular issue with teachers but I do have a real issue with the two tier society this Covid situation has created where those in the public sector (excluding front line staff obviously) can swan about on full salary making up increasingly elaborate excuses for not going back to work and calling in the unions when everyone else is either unemployed, on furlough, or worried about their job moving forward and as such incentivized to return to work as soon as possible before their life goes into a complete and irretrievable meltdown. Other people’s decisions not to work are all funded by our taxes too. It seems very inequitable. 

• Like 5

I'm not certain that the Unions are refusing to go back per se. They're just wanting a bit more clarity about how things will work. The English unions were the same on the TV news today. 

If the Drs are happy and the Elf & Safety are happy then they're gonna have to suck it up. Having said that there will be part of the workforce with underlying medical conditions which mean that under current guidance they should keep away. How many is unknown hence the gradual return of pupils. You can't have them all back unless you're fully staffed.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

But it's not about deaths.  It's about transmission.  The danger is that children catch it from other children at school and then bring it back to their families, even though they aren't particularly affected or ill themselves.  Schools are notorious for spreading things like the norovirus, often leading to them having to be closed.   What you think this will be any different?

Evidence here - https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/covid-19-rapid-risk-assessment-coronavirus-disease-2019-ninth-update-23-april-2020.pdf

Pages 10 and 11 - schoolchildren not badly affected, and unlikely to spread it to adults if they have got it.  From the European Centre for Disease Control (ECDC).  In all the teleconferences I've been involved in I've really wished that we were following the Asian equivalent, just so I could hear Henrietta quoting evidence from ACDC ("when it comes to coronavirus, for those about to rock, we salute you" etc)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, wrighty said:

In all the teleconferences I've been involved in I've really wished that we were following the Asian equivalent, just so I could hear Henrietta quoting evidence from ACDC ("when it comes to coronavirus, for those about to rock, we salute you" etc)

Wanna tell you a story, 'Bout a woman I know, When it comes to Covid, Oh, she steals the show, She ain't exactly pretty, She ain't exactly small, But you could say she's got it all ... a whole lotta Henrietta. 

Edited by Southfork
  • Haha 1

Do you have any views  on these strange cases involving kids and the Kawasaki disease like symptoms Wrighty? I realise that the cases are statistically insignificant numbers wise (tell that to their parents!) and that it isn't much to worry about but isn't it a bit odd? Cases popping up all over the place now. I've read a fair few media articles and viewpoints from various talking heads but there doesn't seem to be much consensus on what is going on.

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

Do you have any views  on these strange cases involving kids and the Kawasaki disease like symptoms Wrighty? I realise that the cases are statistically insignificant numbers wise (tell that to their parents!) and that it isn't much to worry about but isn't it a bit odd? Cases popping up all over the place now. I've read a fair few media articles and viewpoints from various talking heads but there doesn't seem to be much consensus on what is going on.

Right, from the memory banks rather than Wiki, Kawasaki is an auto-immune vasculitis that can be precipitated by an infection of some sort.  So it's not surprising that it may happen with a new virus.  On Radio 4 the other day it said there were 11 cases in the UK - may be more now - but that was something like a 1 in a million chance.  So it's a thing, definitely, and should be studied, but certainly not a thing on which to base policy or generate fear amongst parents of young children.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Can you explain why infected children are unlikely to pass it on to their parents or teachers?

Edited by Kopek

Thanks for replying. I was more looking at it from an interested observer perspective than anything else.

If you look at food poisoning, the soup of bugs that (mostly) Mums carry, has provided immunity to the kids through constant exposure.

Is there a similar familiararity with exposure to Corovirus?

56 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Evidence here - https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/covid-19-rapid-risk-assessment-coronavirus-disease-2019-ninth-update-23-april-2020.pdf

Pages 10 and 11 - schoolchildren not badly affected, and unlikely to spread it to adults if they have got it.  From the European Centre for Disease Control (ECDC).  In all the teleconferences I've been involved in I've really wished that we were following the Asian equivalent, just so I could hear Henrietta quoting evidence from ACDC ("when it comes to coronavirus, for those about to rock, we salute you" etc)

Sounds like the unions will run out of excuses soon. I know a couple of teachers who are loving  extra paid holidays and will be gutted if they have to go back.

• Sad 1

Unions like the Dept of Education have a duty of care to their members. All the negotiations and procedures are to that end. It is not that the case is Dept v teachers or the Unions v the dept it is about the best solution to to the return to school openings and the safe return for all involved!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kopek said:

If you look at food poisoning, the soup of bugs that (mostly) Mums carry, has provided immunity to the kids through constant exposure.

Is there a similar familiararity with exposure to Corovirus?

Mmmm bitty

Posted (edited)

Take two asprins and lie in a darkened room. You'll be OK in the morning! Tho you may hae a strange stiffness in your right wrist!!!

Edited by Kopek
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Any opinion on Covid that doesn’t include a candid “We really can’t be that sure as we as we haven’t been here before” should viewed cautiously.

Scientists are good at analysing “knowns”.Trying to predict situations based on very few “knowns “ and an unknown number  of “unknowns”, is likely to throw up surprises.

Predicting childhood illness in the future months may produce  such surprises.

- The focus is on Covid, but it may not even be  Covid -related.

Children have spent an such an unusually long time away from their peers, this might result in an unusual pattern of infectious illness.

The importance then is to be able to act quickly and adapt -and not delay reintroducing previous  measures if needed.

Edited by hampsterkahn

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Unions like the Dept of Education have a duty of care to their members. All the negotiations and procedures are to that end. It is not that the case is Dept v teachers or the Unions v the dept it is about the best solution to to the return to school openings and the safe return for all involved!

Of course it is

• Haha 1