Coronavirus Isle of Man

On The Bus

I get the feeling that the schools is going to descend into a serious fight with unions.  It was already looking like they were going to strike before all this happened and now it’s just going to harm everyone.  

It just doesn’t look like anyone has a sensible approach how to sort it out 

Seeing a lot of people on news/social media etc saying that nobody should go back to work/school etc until the govt can guarantee its safe etc.....Cant help feeling this is just not realistic...By all means steps can be taken to try to improve safety. However at some stage I think the govt need to say look we cannot guarantee safety of anyone, this is going to be around for quite some time to come, we need to get things up and running again and if certain people feel uncomfortable going to a place of work, sending their kids to school, going to a restaurant or bar or shop etc (which is a perfectly valid position to take for some people) then they should choose not to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The govt  paying of salary is not indefinite....and actually...thinking about that, the vast majority of people I know are desperate to get out and get back to work, regardless of whether their salary is being supported by Govt. So I dont think its true at all to say the vast majority would choose not to return.

Edited by sausage
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, sausage said:

Seeing a lot of people on news/social media etc saying that nobody should go back to work/school etc until the govt can guarantee its safe etc.....Cant help feeling this is just not realistic...By all means steps can be taken to try to improve safety. However at some stage I think the govt need to say look we cannot guarantee safety of anyone, this is going to be around for quite some time to come, we need to get things up and running again and if certain people feel uncomfortable going to a place of work, sending their kids to school, going to a restaurant or bar or shop etc (which is a perfectly valid position to take for some people) then they should choose not to.

Agree totally. 

It isn't possible to operate social distancing in schools,  cafes, bars, restaurants, the streets of the island.

Guarantees of safety are relative.  The government can't guarantee a lot of things.  But it hasnt stopped people living their lives day to day.

The schools situation is just a political shambles about pay really.  Unions are being as awkward as possible.   I suspect most teachers want to return to normal. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

It seems people have forgotten that for maybe 99% of people it will be an irritant a bit like flu.  The way a lot of people talk you would think we are all going to die

I reckon I’ve already had it in January. If only you could just be tested and then left to get on with your bloody life instead of locked up for everyone else’s protection. It’s just stupid. The whole way the UK has handled it all is mental. At least here we seem to have done something vaguely right for once. 

Edited by Southfork

1 hour ago, sausage said:

The govt  paying of salary is not indefinite....and actually...thinking about that, the vast majority of people I know are desperate to get out and get back to work, regardless of whether their salary is being supported by Govt. So I dont think its true at all to say the vast majority would choose not to return.

Most of teachers and lots of other public sector workers not at front line & health would!! Reduce the pay or get rid of those who won't work if public health say it's safe to do so.

1 hour ago, sausage said:

The big problem for Government is to get us all to comply with the social distancing requirements, to stay at home etc they have been sending out the message that Covid 19 is so highly contagious you might easily catch walking within 2 meters of somebody and that if you catch there is a reasonable possibility you might end up in hospital and that it might be fatal.

Having made many people very fearful they are now going to struggle to persuade some that it is safe to mingle in society again without there being no cases on the IoM and Government guaranteeing that there won't be any more cases. Obviously they cannot do that

If you had a secret ballot and asked people should we continue as we are or go back to normal in the IoM with the borders closed there would be a healthy majority for the latter. I think even if the option was with borders open, or with borders open in X months irrelevant of the number of cases the results might be fairly interesting. Fatigue is setting in and that will grow the longer this goes on. Many were happy to do their bit for a few weeks but with no end in sight I get the feeling more and more want to return to normal whatever the risk, which for most of the population is pretty low.

I appreciate that if you are in a vulnerable group or a health care professional that may be pretty unpalatable but as a species us humans are a pretty selfish bunch.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

I get the feeling that the schools is going to descend into a serious fight with unions.  It was already looking like they were going to strike before all this happened and now it’s just going to harm everyone.  

It just doesn’t look like anyone has a sensible approach how to sort it out 

Just a few short months away the teachers were getting uppity about more money, money, money and threatening strike action.

Fast forward to now, and  there have been teachers explaining that the kiddies will be able to catch up after the long coronavirus break.

I take it that the same might apply for teachers' strike action. Even for 2,3 4+ months?

Except of course the teachers wouldn't be getting paid to paint their garden fence.

The Government don't need to call any bluff, 'cos there ain't no bluff no more.

It's a pity they don't get their collective heads together and work out a plan to complete any teacher coursework that needs doing. Instead of taking days off during the school term (which causes major problems for parents) get it all done while on lockdown