Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

19 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

It is good to see restrictions being loosened and allow the public to self regulate. 
Does anyone to wager on how long the ‘temporary’ speed limit will remain for? Another month is my bet, although tomorrow is my wish.

What’s the rush?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Golfer said:

I know he said nursery can reopen, did he mention schools opening?

Hopefully start going back 17th june

I didn’t hear anything, but I was half listening. We have been informed that our school is allowing certain years back on the Wed following the TT fornight

52 minutes ago, Golfer said:

I know he said nursery can reopen, did he mention schools opening?

Nursery was only for the sectors allowed to work. I still have to look after mine, meaning I can't work.

1 hour ago, Out of the blue said:

I didn’t hear anything, but I was half listening. We have been informed that our school is allowing certain years back on the Wed following the TT fornight

So 2 weeks after U.K. So just an extra 3 months full pay for teachers, followed by a few weeks work for some and then another 6 weeks holiday, unbelievable!!

29 minutes ago, Golfer said:

So 2 weeks after U.K. So just an extra 3 months full pay for teachers, followed by a few weeks work for some and then another 6 weeks holiday, unbelievable!!

The summer break needs to be ditched to allow them to catch up.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

The summer break needs to be ditched to allow them to catch up.

They'll be complaining that they've already got their holibobs booked...

Oh, hang on....

24 minutes ago, Golfer said:

Well the schools wont be back.  Just a quarter. Comical.

41 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Well the schools wont be back.  Just a quarter. Comical.

Everyone else will be working if you can get childcare or haven't lost your job because of lockdown 

58 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

They'll be complaining that they've already got their holibobs booked...

Oh, hang on....

They will probably open borders so all teachers can go away to the sun for a nice rest after all their hard work!!

I know somone working for the MUA.   Now that is the place to be.  Engineer.  Working on average about 1 day a week.  Then if there is an issue after 5 PM it is on call and double time etc.  You really couldn't make it up.

My initial thought was how are MUA engineers hardly working? Makes you wonder how busy they actually are normally.

• Like 1

I've got a great deal of respect for some of the MUA jointing teams and such. They're continually dealing with new infrastructure installation associated with housing expansion and power outages caused by an ageing supply network in other areas. In all hours and weathers. The IoM climate and weather isn't kind to a lot of this stuff. A lot of their work goes unappreciated. And no, I'm not one of them.

The problem with the MUA is the same as every other Govt department. A huge inverted triangle of management structure.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I know somone working for the MUA.   Now that is the place to be.  Engineer.  Working on average about 1 day a week.  Then if there is an issue after 5 PM it is on call and double time etc.  You really couldn't make it up.

My initial thought was how are MUA engineers hardly working? Makes you wonder how busy they actually are normally.

Yes a mate of mine has been at home for last 6 weeks on call so can't go out during day but been able to do gardening, paint a few rooms and sundry household jobs as well as sunbathe, he gets about 4/5 call outs per week and then as you say after hours is double time!