Jump to content
Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, P.K. said:

For the future if you want me to respond to your posts would you mind awfully putting your points into an "Executive Summary" at the beginning? That would save wading through all the turgid verbosity. Thanks.

None.

Of course it's possible to take precautions against catching it. But ask people who have had it how they caught it, unless you're as stupid as Bozo, and they will answer "NFC".

Not in my experience. Most people are smart enough to realise that it's an "as needs must" situation. So you must know some pretty stupid people.

Not true.

Cooperation, the secret weapon of our species:

 https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21328462-200-cooperation-the-secret-weapon-of-our-species/

The real Lord of the Flies: what happened when six boys were shipwrecked for 15 months:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/may/09/the-real-lord-of-the-flies-what-happened-when-six-boys-were-shipwrecked-for-15-months

You remind me of a brother who is so far up his own arse he's completely unapproachable...

ETA: @Lost Login

First point - I would so I won't

None is a fantasy answer.  Presently they are not doing routine scans for cancer, appointments both locally and across are being cancelled for all sorts of health matters. 

If people who are vulnerable are prepared to take whatever precautions they feel are necessary then all restrictions can be stopped and everybody can do what they believe is appropriate. That is a pretty impressive u turn from somebody who was demanding borders remain closed virtually indefinitely to protect the vulnerable

I have had two relatives who caught. One pre restrictions and one after. The former does not now how he caught but probably from commuting, the latter knows exactly how they caught it

Not true - yes true

Was that your elder brother who you idolised and modelled yourself on

It is a shame that you are just a troll as there is good genuine debate to be hand as to how far to go in lifting and maintain restrictions, how to balance the protection of life from Covid 19 against the other competing aspects. It is a shame that you are not like Teapot who whilst obviously holding a different view to myself has the good grace when replying me to have a sensible discussion on the matter.

You are Peter Murcott and I claim my £10

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

First point - I would so I won't

None is a fantasy answer.  Presently they are not doing routine scans for cancer, appointments both locally and across are being cancelled for all sorts of health matters. 

If people who are vulnerable are prepared to take whatever precautions they feel are necessary then all restrictions can be stopped and everybody can do what they believe is appropriate. That is a pretty impressive u turn from somebody who was demanding borders remain closed virtually indefinitely to protect the vulnerable

I have had two relatives who caught. One pre restrictions and one after. The former does not now how he caught but probably from commuting, the latter knows exactly how they caught it

Not true - yes true

Was that your elder brother who you idolised and modelled yourself on

It is a shame that you are just a troll as there is good genuine debate to be hand as to how far to go in lifting and maintain restrictions, how to balance the protection of life from Covid 19 against the other competing aspects. It is a shame that you are not like Teapot who whilst obviously holding a different view to myself has the good grace when replying me to have a sensible discussion on the matter.

You are Peter Murcott and I claim my £10

Yes it is a shame but that's what you get when you accuse people of behaving like children.

That sort of insult will always put an end to any chance of an adult debate.

Hopefully you'll take that on board...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Southfork said:

Trolling is also childish. 

I agree; which is why it isn’t something I would do. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

You are Peter Murcott and I claim my £10

I hope not he’s a huge bellend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Manx Expat said:

I hope not he’s a huge bellend. 

Who PK or Peter Murcott:D

To be a bit more serious PK is a bit of troll in this topic as it appears that he wants to simply ignore the adverse consequences of the position he has advocated. That is that we should do everything that we can to prevent any Covid 19 deaths. It is an admirable position but not one I take as I believe the consequences to the IoM population of taking that position will be more harmful that acknowledging there is a limit to what we can realistically do. Where the balance between the two is I have no idea and there will be a huge range of opinions and I could not say anybody is wrong or right.

My issue with PK is that he is simply trolling as he either he will not answer what he believes would be a reasonable number of missed cancer diagnoses etc or does not answer/just ignores the reality of the situation that there will be any adverse consequences. If his view was that whatever the adverse consequences were in respect of other health matters were worth it to protect against Covid 19 then whilst it might not be a position I agree with and I might argue was illogical, i.e. is saving one person dying from Covid 19 more important than saving 5 others from dying due to other health matters, there is a logic to the position. Simply ignoring the adverse consequences or pretending they don't exist is simply trolling which is why I earlier compared his behaviour to a child covering their ears, saying they can not hear you and then starting screaming, as that appears how PK is behaving. He simply does not want acknowledge their will be adverse consequences of his position and therefore he simply wants to ignore in case he hears something to the contrary. It may be the logic a young kids uses when they don't want to go to bed, "I never heard you say time for bed as I told you I could not hear you" it is trolling when you resort to that on an internet forum. 

  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

It is a shame that you are not like Teapot who whilst obviously holding a different view to myself has the good grace when replying me to have a sensible discussion on the matter.

 

Well thanks, not often anyone describes anything involving me as sensible. Southfork says I post "absolute nonsense" on this topic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turning away from the arguments, no new cases today again and now only 11 active cases.

HOwie has asked for a paper on border options for CoMin this week!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

She was then likely to be behind the early instruction to hospital staff to only wear a mask if the patient they were dealing with had obvious symptoms of Covid 19! you know that little bug that can be asymptomatic...…………..

I could not believe my ears when I heard that from a conversation between 2 senior nurses at Nobles at the start of all this. You will be glad to hear that I was wearing a FFP3 mask at the time :-)

Sounds about right from how the lady, now identified as Margaret Knight, came across.  As the lead infection nurse, yes it would be her call what protection was offered.   That’s what worry’s me, she sounds like a copy paste person not an able person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Golfer said:

HOwie has asked for a paper on border options for CoMin this week!

The Chief Minister Howard Quayle told Tynwald this morning that he saw the closed borders as being key to the current control of new cases of Covid 19.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/ministers-to-discuss-coronavirus-lockdown-border-options/

Quite right. Keep it closed. Protect the economy.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Golfer said:

...HOwie has asked for a paper on border options for CoMin this week!

The border options should be debated in public. We have a huge number of politicians, we pay them a chunk of money, and they should be debating important issues like this in public in Tynwald- not behind closed doors.

Today, IOM Today revealed that Clare Barber, a political member of the Department of Health and Social Care, has "still not seen any clinical advice" on the issue of returning residents.

I can accept that in a time-urgent emergency, they needed to make decisions in a (belated) hurry that didn't allow for normal Tynwald options back in March. But today, that urgency no longer exists - it is fine to delay a decision for a week or few to get it right.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Josem said:

The border options should be debated in public. We have a huge number of politicians, we pay them a chunk of money, and they should be debating important issues like this in public in Tynwald- not behind closed doors.

Today, IOM Today revealed that Clare Barber, a political member of the Department of Health and Social Care, has "still not seen any clinical advice" on the issue of returning residents.

I can accept that in a time-urgent emergency, they needed to make decisions in a (belated) hurry that didn't allow for normal Tynwald options back in March. But today, that urgency no longer exists - it is fine to delay a decision for a week or few to get it right.

Probably isn't any clinical advice ! HOwie has asked for options on borders to do with residents returning and going for compassionate reasons for now I assume but they can't keep borders closed indefinitely.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Well thanks, not often anyone describes anything involving me as sensible. Southfork says I post "absolute nonsense" on this topic.

Just because I may have thought one of your posts was absolute nonsense it doesn’t mean that I automatically think all of your posts are nonsense.  Far from it. But there does seem to be a lot of reality avoiding and wishful thinking on this forum that this can go on indefinitely and it can’t. If you read the statements following the last announcement by HQ it’s all up to us now to just be sensible. Which is as it should be. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Golfer said:

Probably isn't any clinical advice ! HOwie has asked for options on borders to do with residents returning and going for compassionate reasons for now I assume but they can't keep borders closed indefinitely.

Yes, I imagine that no one on our island would want to ban all incoming travel permanently.

There are various times you could lessen the restrictions, and to lessen those restrictions in safe and sensible ways - for example, you could imagine conducting a Coronavirus test of someone on arrival, keep them in isolation for a week (or more?) and test them a second time, before allowing them to enter the broader Manx community. Similarly, some other people might want to prioritise Manx people* being allowed to return sooner, or tourists, or whatever.

 

*Different people might have different interpretations of what "Manx people" means, which is different from the way that American or Canadian or New Zealand citizens exist in a very specific legal definition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Josem said:

Yes, I imagine that no one on our island would want to ban all incoming travel permanently.

You may well be surprised 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...