Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

Or even 26. That's what I'd have gone for. Pointless now though, nobody is going to pay up twice in this short space of time. I would have done it though no problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Interesting rumour has it the past few recorded cases have been brought back the Island by keyworkers.

That is apparently true. Leaving you to question what benefit to society has anyone done by being locked up for weeks when key workers have pretty much had free reign to do what they like including coming into the IOM and starting work next day. Different rules for us peasants though. The biggest failure so far is the presumption that we are all too stupid and need to be locked up for everyone’s protection, but they can be trusted to do what they like largely unchecked and without the right protective equipment. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Southfork said:

That is apparently true. Leaving you to question what benefit to society has anyone done by being locked up for weeks when key workers have pretty much had free reign to do what they like including coming into the IOM and starting work next day. Different rules for us peasants though. The biggest failure so far is the presumption that we are all too stupid and need to be locked up for everyone’s protection, but they can be trusted to do what they like largely unchecked and without the right protective equipment. 

Wasn't Ashie asked this question last week, why was the manager of one of the islands leading supermarkets allowed to come back to IOM from a trip to U.K. And start work the next day. He didn't deny the accusation but basically said key workers had to follow strict protocols as to who they could meet at work etc and couldn't comment on individual cases!

so you can come back from U.K.  to work in a supermarket and live with your family but can't come back for your parents funerals!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Golfer said:

so you can come back from U.K.  to work in a supermarket and live with your family but can't come back for your parents funerals!!

Please don’t agree with me Golfer. It’s not allowed. It apparently suggests that some sort of conspiracy exists to support a particular view ;)

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

There does need to be a way to help people get back on compassionate grounds,

If the Father lives alone then the returning Family could self isolate with him, giving him comfort at this time and without contact outside that house. Then, when the family return to whence they came, the Father would have to isolate for 2wks.

If there are others in the house they would have to agree to isolate with them as well or go to other accommodation?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Whatnonsence said:

I cannot believe that the Dept of Infrastructure were tasked with Quarantine when it  would appear to be a job for Home Affairs as the process would follow people bailed by the court who are checked upon by the police.

I thought it was pretty obvious they gave DoI the job, as they were best equipped to build the fence.

After that, all other aspects were incidental.

• Haha 1

Is Cregeen the only minister not to make an appearance at the press briefings? 

2 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I thought it was pretty obvious they gave DoI the job, as they were best equipped to build the fence.

After that, all other aspects were incidental.

And they had buses they needed to use

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

I have already explained that accusing people of behaving like children is guaranteed to make an adult conversation impossible. I'm sure you understand that so I'm not sure what you think further bleating about it would achieve?

You could always try apologising of course.

ETA: @Lost Login

When you stop behaving like a child who thinks that they can ignore what they are being told by putting their hands over their ears so they can not hear what is being said I will stop putting out that is how you are behaving.

All your posts are now are attempts at distraction from the fact you prefer to troll than present a coherent argument. I get it, you believe in utopia (to save you looking that up I am not referring to the hair salon in Douglas) and that whatever measures are required to be taken to ensure there are effectively no more cases in the IoM will have no detrimental  effect.

Just now, TheTeapot said:

Is Cregeen the only minister not to make an appearance at the press briefings? 

I don't remember Thomas doing a press briefing. Probably a good thing as they only started 8 weeks or so ago so by now he would probably be about half way through his answer to the first question. Listening to Vogan poetry was meant to be torture but I reckon a Thomas press conference would run it close. Oh freddled gruntbuggly.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I don't remember Thomas doing a press briefing. Probably a good thing as they only started 8 weeks or so ago so by now he would probably be about half way through his answer to the first question. Listening to Vogan poetry was meant to be torture but I reckon a Thomas press conference would run it close. Oh freddled gruntbuggly.   

Ah yeah, I'd forgot about him. Think he's got a good reason not to be out and about much though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Ah yeah, I'd forgot about him. Think he's got a good reason not to be out and about much though.

I believe he has too sadly . 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

The border issue is both really simple and really complex, and I don't envy those in charge one little bit.

The simple bit is that the UK is still an absolute basket case and until that is sorted there can be no general travel

The complex bit is things like that case of the family whose mother has died and the kids want to come home to be with their dad.

There does need to be a way to help people get back on compassionate grounds, but that's bound to be really difficult to judge, and if you let one group in while denying another, well it is just going to cause more hassle.

We've just got to wait, and hope that the UK get their shit together quickly.

IOMG and Compassion, definitely non there. 

The trouble is each Minister and Department is wrapped up in their own importance, the rules is rules mantra and being seen to be adhering slavishly to the rules. 

Situation whereby the Manx born and raised children wished to return to the island to bury their father has been greeted with derision by box tickers and rules followers. The only time politicos and civil servants will actually listen and change is if they are embarrassed by negative feedback, and there is a online petition which gets publicised, You then get u turns galore. Common sense should prevail.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Southfork said:

Please don’t agree with me Golfer. It’s not allowed. It apparently suggests that some sort of conspiracy exists to support a particular view ;)

I think that you are being unduly harsh on yourself here. 

Most logical-minded folk would entirely agree with you that there is indeed no place for mass irrationally hysterical behaviour and, given the circumstances, I for one think that you have done well to confine yourself to personal, totally rational hysteria.

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus
  • Haha 2