Coronavirus Isle of Man

7 minutes ago, Southfork said:

Isn't that totally true. A lot of the small mindedness that has gone on in the last 8 weeks or so is simply inexcusable. That poor sod doing that Video on MTTV yesterday. Not only did they apparently cancel his mums life enhancing cancer treatment due to Covid, but she then apparently died and now they seem hellbent on not letting him come here to go to the funeral or support his dad. It’s a crock of shit. There simply is no valid reason for treating people like this. None at all. But there’s still a hardcore of the frightened and hysterical public supporting all this nastiness. 

I think you'll find that it's not your imaginary "hardcore of the frightened and hysterical public" who have brought this about but rather the government's "State of Emergency" that they have just extended for another month.

Of course, if you feel strongly about this issue you can always utilise your option to write to your MHK about it who is after all there to represent your interests in Tynwald.

• Like 3
  • Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I think you'll find that it's not your imaginary "hardcore of the frightened and hysterical public" who have brought this about but rather the government's "State of Emergency" that they have just extended for another month.

Of course, if you feel strongly about this issue you can always utilise your option to write to your MHK about it who is after all there to represent your interests in Tynwald.

He won’t though, far better to spout off on here

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

He won’t though, far better to spout off on here

To what end though?

Unless you can be given good advice from someone on here MF is just a sounding board. It can be an amusing one sometimes though.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I take it that you do exactly that in regards to all the useless bullshit you seem to add to here? Thats a lot of MHK letter writing. I ask as your avatar says “always across” so I would be skeptical as to whether you even live here to offer an opinion on what the effects of the Manx lockdown actually are for the people who live here? 

Edited by Southfork

Just putting this out there....but imagine the the confirmed cases continues to stay at 0 and the active cases works its way down to 0. What does the government do then in regards to keeping state of emergency and social distancing as if it stays as it is for another week that is the actual situation they will face

• Like 1

I have spoken to my mhk about it and he agrees that the border issue is too harsh,it was only pressure from him and others like Clare Barber that they relented on comis quarantine.

problem with state of emergency Howie & co can do what they want, but the more pressure put on our mhks the more change will come.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Southfork said:

I take it that you do exactly that in regards to all the useless bullshit you seem to add to here? I ask as your avatar says “always across” so I would be skeptical as to whether you even live here to offer an opinion on what the effects of the Manx lockdown actually are. 

Let me allay your pointless scepticism. It's simple really.

When we're in the UK then Mannin is "across".

When we're in Mannin then the UK is "across".

So we're always "across".

Although others have a more hardened opinion on what constitutes "across" and "the mainland".

It's a manx thing.

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

Let me allay your pointless scepticism. It's simple really.

When we're in the UK then Mannin is "across".

When we're in Mannin then the UK is "across".

So we're always "across".

Although others have a more hardened opinion on what constitutes "across" and "the mainland".

It's a manx thing.

So you’re not actually here then as you won’t answer the actual question presented directly to you? 

7 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Just putting this out there....but imagine the the confirmed cases continues to stay at 0 and the active cases works its way down to 0. What does the government do then in regards to keeping state of emergency and social distancing as if it stays as it is for another week that is the actual situation they will face

With no testing in the general populace I guess, and it is a guess, that they will wait two weeks after the last infection before making changes.

The extension to the "State of Emergency" for another month would tend to lend weight to that guess. But what they do next shouldn't be a secret really.

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Southfork said:

So you’re not actually here then as you won’t answer the actual question presented directly to you? 

Dear me.

It's not like I ever make a secret of where I am:

On 3/22/2020 at 6:13 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

Good luck PK, you must do what you think best.

Leaving here appears to be fairly low risk currently. Though the bulk mobile testing we are awaiting results for might change that.

I hear Charities here are meeting Monday and hopefully a more coordinated and secure distribution network for aiding vulnerable people might soon result.

On 3/22/2020 at 7:09 AM, P.K. said:

Thanks.

Booked the flight on the 5th which, of course, still left all our options open. Notice the fares have been climbing since then. Found out about daughter #2 on Friday. Which clinched it. So far no symptoms.

Why the Woolster would get so excited about our actual physical location is beyond me.

Good luck looking after the oldsters. Been there, done that, got the scar tissue...

On 3/22/2020 at 10:03 AM, TheTeapot said:

'Save me Boris, save me'

On 3/22/2020 at 10:36 AM, P.K. said:

In the departure lounge.

On our own.

To think I paid extra to reserve seats....

On 3/22/2020 at 10:52 AM, woolley said:

You didn't!!??? :D FFS, PK, you didn't really think there was going to be a mass exodus?  You funny. Anyway, seriously,, hope you keep safe however it falls. 

On 3/22/2020 at 6:52 PM, Max Power said:

Hope all keeps well with you P.K. Keep in touch :) 

On 3/22/2020 at 9:50 PM, Cambon said:

Take care, P.K. Keep us up to date on happenings over there. As I say to everyone these days, stay safe and wash your hands! 

On 3/23/2020 at 12:17 AM, P.K. said:

Do I owe you money...?

27 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

We don't really know how many cases there are though, we have only tested those who have reported sufficient symptoms to be tested. We could have 500 to 1000 out there somewhere showing no symptoms.

• Like 1
Just now, Max Power said:

We don't really know how many cases there are though, we have only tested those who have reported sufficient symptoms to be tested. We could have 500 to 1000 out there somewhere showing no symptoms.

But as a population we can only go by the official figures which the government provide.  Everything else is guess work.  On pure evidence alone I personally think that if 0-0 happened the pressure to release things might be too much to handle

Am I correct in assuming that the border controls are only allowed in force...provided a state of emergency exists?

Or could the state of emergency be cancelled and we could still have border controls?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Dear me.

It's not like I ever make a secret of where I am:

So you aren’t here, as I said, so commenting and offering your opinion on life under Manx lockdown is absolutely none of your business. Neither is criticizing our government for anything they have done if you have not even been subject to any of their decisions so far. So really you’re just a bit of a UK based when-i from what I can see. 

Edited by Southfork
38 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

I suspect they will take the next step from the next two weeks data.  People will blatantly abuse the gatherings rule and social distancing doesn't really work (shoprite evidence of that tonight).

But that is intentional to a degree.  The government know people will take the piss.  I know someone who has had a mate round tonight and has 4 round tomorrow.  But once the data shows this is causing no issues the getting schools and social businesses open should happen sooner.

• Like 1