Coronavirus Isle of Man

35 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Just putting this out there....but imagine the the confirmed cases continues to stay at 0 and the active cases works its way down to 0. What does the government do then 

Cautiously open up locally but keep the border closed. Protect the economy.

Let's hope that many of the changes will be permanent. Eg many more people normally working from home -significantly reduced unnecessary business travel etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Southfork said:

So you aren’t here, as I said, so commenting and offering your opinion on life under Manx lockdown is absolutely none of your business. Neither is criticizing our government for anything they have done if you have not even been subject to any of their decisions so far. 

While I'm putting my money into IOMG's coffers I absolutely have every right to have a say in their governance and how they spend my tax dollars.

I also left the security of the island for the complete and utter clusterfuck that Bozo has made of the pandemic in the UK because it looked like one of my kids had got the virus.

So I am very much subject to IOMG's decisions because we are now stuck here.

Clown....

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Am I correct in assuming that the border controls are only allowed in force...provided a state of emergency exists?

Or could the state of emergency be cancelled and we could still have border controls?

As Quayle was quoted last week, when answering a question concerning a ‘’possible loosening of border restrictions’, by saying such a thing was unlikely until ‘the distant future’, it would suggest that the government can keep the border closed even if there isn’t a declared State of Emergency - which doesn’t seem to be intended to extend into ‘the distant future’.

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

While I'm putting my money into IOMG's coffers I absolutely have every right to have a say in their governance and how they spend my tax dollars.

I also left the security of the island for the complete and utter clusterfuck that Bozo has made of the pandemic in the UK because it looked like one of my kids had got the virus.

So I am very much subject to IOMG's decisions because we are now stuck here.

Clown....

Only one clown here. I bet you’re uni-cycling round the room in a complete fluster. 

• Haha 1

When the decision to make a requirement for people returning to the Island was made we were in a very different place than we are now.   Decisions had to be made without any idea what we were facing the very worst scenario had to be considered and based on that the government had to make hard choices.   I think they were right, if anyone wanted to return, and it was their choice as it was their choice to leave the Island when things were looking very unsettled they would have to agree to self isolate in the Commis Hotel.   Things look more settled now and they are being allowed to self isolate at home under certain conditions.   As for letting people over to attend funerals...no ...it may seem harsh but it would open the floodgates for requests from lots of people.   I know people who would have loved to have attended a much loved family member but realised our borders are closed and accepted it.   It is harsh but not heartless the well being many has to come before the wishes of individuals.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
2 minutes ago, Southfork said:

Only one clown here. I bet you’re uni-cycling round the room in a complete fluster. 

Not my style.

Written to your MHK yet?

Or are you all mouth and trousers...?

5 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

As Quayle was quoted last week, when answering a question concerning a ‘’possible loosening of border restrictions’, by saying such a thing was unlikely until ‘the distant future’, it would suggest that the government can keep the border closed even if there isn’t a declared State of Emergency - which doesn’t seem to be intended to extend into ‘the distant future’.

I suspect the "State of Emergency" protects them from legal action.

10 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Not my style.

Written to your MHK yet?

Or are you all mouth and trousers...?

Do people who express views on here have to write to their MHK first? You seem to know all the unwritten rules of who can, and who can’t, post their views on this forum and what they apparently have to do first in order to post them. Have you written to your MHK in relation to all the moaning you do on here? I would imagine that would be one very long airmail letter with a UK stamp on it. 

Edited by Southfork
1 minute ago, Southfork said:

Do people who express views on here have to write to their MHK first? You seem to know the unwritten rules of who can, and who can’t, post their views on this forum and what they first have to do in order to post them. 

Don't try and duck the issue.

You posted up your dissatisfaction at the machinations of Tynwald and I suggested your write to your MHK to represent your views in Tynwald. Because that's what they're paid to do.

So why haven't you written?

30 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

What does the government do then in regards to keeping state of emergency and social distancing as if it stays as it is for another week

The medipoliticos cross their fingers and hope for the best!!!

Tho, with the UK politicians turning on their medical advisors more and more, it  could be that the medicos will be protecting their own backs more than in the past when they had anonymity?

Not that the medicos will be more conservative in their opinions, rather that more of them will drop out of the 'advisor' role?

Take the UKs and our own desire to re-open schools. Primary age kids are so far behind their curriculum that an early return in constrain mode will not bring them any benefit. They will need years of 'cramming' to catch up but they have those  years to do so?

Later year students are in a critical part of their education, A levels and GCSE., they are the ones  who need the earliest return to put them on the right track for University, they are also the ones to fully comprehend the need for social distancing, junior pupils are not!

!5 yr olds can appreciate the current crisis, younger kids cannot but it is the younger kids that will need the re-opening of schools to allow their parents to return to work, the older 15s can look after their selves.

The hurried re-opening of schools is to allow the 'back to work' rather than any recently realised 'affect on children' that is being promoted as to the reason to re-start schooling?

As ever, where is the scientific proof that this is the best path to follow???

9 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Don't try and duck the issue.

You posted up your dissatisfaction at the machinations of Tynwald and I suggested your write to your MHK to represent your views in Tynwald. Because that's what they're paid to do.

So why haven't you written?

You really are an embarrassment. You don’t even live here currently and yet mouth off on here all the time laying in to our government and insulting politicians for decisions that don’t even affect you as you aren’t even here. Yet you foolishly demand that I write to my MHK before I’m allowed to post on here? You are a person of absolutely no consequence or substance whatsoever. I know my MHK well. I can pick up the phone at any time I choose. That doesn’t mean I have no right to engage with other people who live here on this forum in order to debate lockdown issues that affect us all (ie, those who live here that is - not you). 

Edited by Southfork
1 minute ago, Southfork said:

You really are an embarrassment. You don’t even live here currently and yet mouth off on here all the time laying in to our government and insulting politicians for decisions that don’t even affect you as you aren’t even here. Yet you foolishly demand that I write to my MHK before I’m allowed to post on here? You are a person of absolutely no consequence or substance whatsoever. I know my MHK well. I can pick up the phone at any time I choose. That doesn’t mean I have no right to engage with other people who live here over lockdown issues that affect is all (those who live here that is, not you). 

You can post your drivel on here as much as you like and it has nothing whatever to do with your earlier dripping and moaning.

Bit stupid of you not to pick up on the fact I'm paying into IOMG's coffers. Why is that do you think? Could it be we live in both places?

You know what? I do believe it is....

In the pressures of the lockdown has "Mental Health Awareness Week" helped you in any way?

Pity....

25 minutes ago, Kopek said:

The medipoliticos cross their fingers and hope for the best!!!

Tho, with the UK politicians turning on their medical advisors more and more, it  could be that the medicos will be protecting their own backs more than in the past when they had anonymity?

Not that the medicos will be more conservative in their opinions, rather that more of them will drop out of the 'advisor' role?

Take the UKs and our own desire to re-open schools. Primary age kids are so far behind their curriculum that an early return in constrain mode will not bring them any benefit. They will need years of 'cramming' to catch up but they have those  years to do so?

Later year students are in a critical part of their education, A levels and GCSE., they are the ones  who need the earliest return to put them on the right track for University, they are also the ones to fully comprehend the need for social distancing, junior pupils are not!

!5 yr olds can appreciate the current crisis, younger kids cannot but it is the younger kids that will need the re-opening of schools to allow their parents to return to work, the older 15s can look after their selves.

The hurried re-opening of schools is to allow the 'back to work' rather than any recently realised 'affect on children' that is being promoted as to the reason to re-start schooling?

As ever, where is the scientific proof that this is the best path to follow???

They should restart schooling because there isn't any reason not to.  They should be fully opened and attended after what would have been TT week.  Teachers, parents and kids need to get on with it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1