Coronavirus Isle of Man

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

That'll be an interesting debate when the matter of renewing emergency powers comes back to Tynwald

Could the borders have been closed without a Governator declared State of Emergency?

Not using the Emergency Powers Act of 1936.

The current regs are made under that. Gozzer has to declare the emergency first. His declaration lasts only for 30 days and has to be renewed each time. If he fails to renew, all the regs simply lapse. 

Edited by piebaps
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Southfork said:

Pitiful trolling. You aren’t even any good at it no matter how persistent you are at it. So it’s straight to insults about posters being clowns and having mental health issues is it instead of debating anything like a normal human being? You’re a pitiful individual. I hope the borders remain closed for quite some time if you are on the other side of them. Maybe you’ll get so desperate to return at some stage that you’ll have to use your clown shoes as water skis. 

Don't worry.

You're not the first to try and use the fact we're lucky enough to live in both places as some kind of leverage.

You probably won't be the last either...

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, Max Power said:

We don't really know how many cases there are though, we have only tested those who have reported sufficient symptoms to be tested. We could have 500 to 1000 out there somewhere showing no symptoms.

Indeed, Max. And with no idea when someone who is asymptomatic ceases to be so. I would have thought that testing for that alone would be of value for the data set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Who the f**k invented chocolate covered pickles?

That is the most disgusting thing I’ve seen. Chocolate covered pickles? Has to be from America. Can’t imagine any other country would eat that crap. 

29 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Indeed, Max. And with no idea when someone who is asymptomatic ceases to be so. I would have thought that testing for that alone would be of value for the data set.

I've just been into town.  Social distancing doesn't work so this next stage of relaxing lockdown (which will be abused) will no doubt give a very clear steer as to the overall picture.   I suspect we will see very few cases which should be the green light to open everything back up without restrictions reviewing the border position at the end of June.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Southfork said:

That is the most disgusting thing I’ve seen. Chocolate covered pickles? Has to be from America. Can’t imagine any other country would eat that crap. 

I think the $ sign is a bit of clue that it is from the US.  It probably started out as whatever their equivalent of April Fool is, but it now appears to be a thing.  Admittedly American chocolate is fairly unpleasant anyway, so even pickles might improve it.

47 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

They're big on chocolate in the Ukraine

Salo in chocolate. - Album on Imgur

If I'm not mistaken chocolate covered gherkin/cornichon are manufactured/available in Bulgaria, once the gherkin & dill-basket of the USSR. Many a gherkin has been crunched and slithered down the gullet of hard working comrades after several 100gm shots of vodka. You should try it sometime Donald.   

38 minutes ago, Southfork said:

It's considered to be something of a dillicacy over there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

YHope folks like Speaker Watterson will continue to work on 'self-isolation' being a bit friendlier to mental well-being by permitting solo exercise outside & gardening alone

Or indeed for people’s own mental health not throwing them in prison for sharing a lift in car with someone not from their household.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=55725

As I saw two DOI workers get out of the same van the other day that seems to be ok though if you’re a key worker who, of course, absolutely none of these crazy rules or restrictions seem to apply to. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Southfork said:

Or indeed for people’s own mental health not throwing them in prison for sharing a lift in car with someone not from their household.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=55725

As I saw two DOI workers get out of the same van the other day that seems to be ok though if you’re a key worker who, of course, absolutely none of these crazy rules or restrictions seem to apply to. 

I did read that and think how weird it was to be in a taxi and fine but not to get a lift.

Having said that, he has been in prison already.  I mean, how fucking stupid do you have to be?

• Like 1