Coronavirus Isle of Man

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I did read that and think how weird it was to be in a taxi and fine but not to get a lift.

Having said that, he has been in prison already.  I mean, how fucking stupid do you have to be?

He is clearly an idiot but should we really be jailing idiots? As you say the taxi had three people in it so what makes that ok as a taxi driver is a service provider but not a friend driving the car with the exact same people in it? Just looks like he was stitched up to me. 

Edited by Southfork
  • Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I've just been into town.  Social distancing doesn't work so this next stage of relaxing lockdown (which will be abused) will no doubt give a very clear steer as to the overall picture.   I suspect we will see very few cases which should be the green light to open everything back up without restrictions reviewing the border position at the end of June.

leave the border lockdown in place until at least October

4 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I've consumed gherkins & vodka with genuine Russians!

I've consumed gherkins with a nice ham sandwich but never chocolate

Just now, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

On what basis?

Mainly because in my opinion, the Island is getting it correct. The UK and other countries are not fairing as well. Why risk re-introducing it?

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I've consumed gherkins & vodka with genuine Russians!

молодец и добро пожаловать в клуб

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Mainly because in my opinion, the Island is getting it correct. The UK and other countries are not fairing as well. Why risk re-introducing it?

We wouldn't be risking anything as such reviewing at the end of June.  Which is over 5 weeks away and in that time it will be far clearer what the external situation is.

One thing is for certain, countries are not going to 100% eradicate it in 100% of countries and it is something that will have to be lived with and managed.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Not being able to travel is the least of our worries so no hurry to open the border In general except for genuine cases for funerals, visiting sick relatives, cancer treatments etc. That’s where the main issues are which need to be resolved ASAP. The tourism industry is decimated but if everyone local took a Manx holiday or at least a few days in a Manx hotel, holiday cottage or campsite they’d probably get more trade than the usual poor numbers of tourists we get here. I think this will actually expose what a joke industry our tourist sector is. It’s been propped up for years just to give the tourism department something to do. Outside of TT Week it’s generally a low volume affair and local families just having a few days break could happily fill the void IMHO for this year. They need to start incentivizing people to book a holiday at home. 

Edited by Southfork
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

leave the border lockdown in place until at least October

I sincerely hope it won't take that long but it's entirely down to the UK getting its house in order which doesn't seem to be happening very quickly.

I'd like IOMG to give an indication of what the state of play needs to be before borders are opened.

I did wonder if we could consider opening to ROI first as they seem to have a better grip on this but it would be too easily abused and a pointless compromise. All or nothing I reckon. 

Edited by The Lurker
typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I've just been into town.  Social distancing doesn't work so this next stage of relaxing lockdown (which will be abused) will no doubt give a very clear steer as to the overall picture.   I suspect we will see very few cases which should be the green light to open everything back up without restrictions reviewing the border position at the end of June.

It's lovely and sunny.

Wait until winter sets in and the coronavirus lipid covering becomes more stable.

5 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Agreed.

It's all or nothing with opening up schools, cafes, bars etc.

You can't socially distance people.

Also agree. But the way I see it is that opening the above activities create different levels of risk.

For example, most experts tend to agree that kids are not the main transmitters of the virus and so it's possible that in theory classes with the usual numbers pose no more of a risk than say half the number attending, which is what seems to be hat's being proposed. The issue with schools is the teachers and other adults, they are the potential spreaders. So should IOMG look to be carrying out regular testing on all teachers/adults in all of the schools? At least if there are asymptomatics among that group then the health authorities will at least know what % of cases there are out there and the effects they might have on the health service. 

Bars, pubs, cafes pose different risks entirely, as the Seoul episode proved.

1 hour ago, Southfork said:

He is clearly an idiot but should we really be jailing idiots? 

Yes, in a pandemic. He must have known what he was doing was wrong.

There's an actual pandemic going on with Emergency Powers in force. Does this guy think the world revolves around him?