Coronavirus Isle of Man

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

Also agree. But the way I see it is that opening the above activities create different levels of risk.

For example, most experts tend to agree that kids are not the main transmitters of the virus and so it's possible that in theory classes with the usual numbers pose no more of a risk than say half the number attending, which is what seems to be hat's being proposed. The issue with schools is the teachers and other adults, they are the potential spreaders. So should IOMG look to be carrying out regular testing on all teachers/adults in all of the schools? At least if there are asymptomatics among that group then the health authorities will at least know what % of cases there are out there and the effects they might have on the health service. 

Bars, pubs, cafes pose different risks entirely, as the Seoul episode proved.

I think the issue isn't internal in bars, clubs etc, the Seoul incident was in packed nightclubs. I think IOM could at least gate outside space in pubs etc open initially.

if UK & Europe cases continue to fall we need borders open by July to allow travel. if we keep closed too long we risk isolation as only country in British Isles and maybe Europe with borders closed!

• Like 1
  • Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Southfork said:

He is clearly an idiot but should we really be jailing idiots? As you say the taxi had three people in it so what makes that ok as a taxi driver is a service provider but not a friend driving the car with the exact same people in it? Just looks like he was stitched up to me. 

Have you ever met that guy?

He's a total fucking prick, and a thief. He'll steal anything.

While it doesn't have all the details in the news article it will be guaranteed that there will have been a ton of kick off when the police got involved, it won't have been a simple arrest for the police to deal with. He'll have totally deserved to go back to jail, he was also the person named in the press to have actually had covid the first time he was sent to jail for breaching the rules. Knowingly had the virus and was out and about. An absolute fucking asshole of the highest degree.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Have you ever met that guy?

He's a total fucking prick, and a thief. He'll steal anything.

While it doesn't have all the details in the news article it will be guaranteed that there will have been a ton of kick off when the police got involved, it won't have been a simple arrest for the police to deal with. He'll have totally deserved to go back to jail, he was also the person named in the press to have actually had covid the first time he was sent to jail for breaching the rules. Knowingly had the virus and was out and about. An absolute fucking asshole of the highest degree.

Yes but that seems to be your standard reply. He’s an asshole so he deserves to be put in prison for a really silly breach of emergency laws. If all it takes to get banged up now is being an asshole most people on here should be very worried indeed. As I have said before it seems to be that the police are going through their lists and jailing people they have had a long term issues with. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Southfork said:

Yes but that seems to be your standard reply. He’s an asshole so he deserves to be put in prison for a really silly breach of emergency laws. If all it takes to get banged up now is being an asshole most people on here should be very worried indeed. As I have said before it seems to be that the police are going through their lists and jailing people they have had a long term issues with. 

Good

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Good

So you support the temporary application of a police state then where no “asshole” is safe from a spell inside just for being on the polices  asshole list. I suppose this is the logical extension of that mindset. 

5DD9B47A-7405-4106-9303-7CA3B1C7BD18.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Southfork said:

I don't know what else they are supposed to do with people like that though. The second breach doesn't seem to be that bad, but his first one when he knowingly had the virus and went out spreading it, well he should have been jailed for longer. He's one of those people who think only of themselves, an arrogant fuck who just doesn't give a shit about anything other than where his next hit is coming from.  What exactly do you propose you do with people who repeatedly ignore the law?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

He's one of those people who think only of themselves, an arrogant fuck who just doesn't give a shit about anything other than where his next hit is coming from. 

Just a normal sort of guy, then.

Alfie's words of wisdom - You may choose to have your holiday on the IoM rather than go elsewhere! Rather difficult to go on holiday elsewhere at present!

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Alfie's words of wisdom - You may choose to have your holiday on the IoM rather than go elsewhere! Rather difficult to go on holiday elsewhere at present!

Which open restaurants and pubs does he recommend? 

• Haha 4
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

They want to have a big push around this for the accommodation sector. If we all went camping or glamping, or hired a hotel room for a few days, or hired a holiday cottage for a week for a change of scenery I bet the bookings would be better than the average tourists we usually get here as that’s hundreds of families so no need for any more state bailouts. You’d think this should be something that the DfE could really put some weight behind right now? Even some sort of voucher scheme to give discounts to get locals to leave their homes and go somewhere else for a few days? Let’s face it most are completely sick and tired of spending time in our own houses! 

Edited by Southfork
5 minutes ago, Southfork said:

They want to have a big push around this for the accommodation sector. If we all went camping or glamping, or hired a hotel room for a few days, or hired a holiday cottage for a week for a change of scenery I bet the bookings would be better than the average tourists we usually get here as that’s hundreds of families so no need for any more state bailouts. You’d think this should be something that the DfE could really put some weight behind right now? Even some sort of voucher scheme to give discounts to get locals to leave their homes and go somewhere else for a few days? 

No thanks! I want to go and see family in the U.K. Not spend money in a hotel stay in Ramsey! 

Perhaps they should insist public sector workers who are one if few sectors getting full whack that they must spend £1000 locally this summer in hotels etc by paying them in vouchers!!

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Southfork said:

Not being able to travel is the least of our worries so no hurry to open the border In general except for genuine cases for funerals, visiting sick relatives, cancer treatments etc. That’s where the main issues are which need to be resolved ASAP. The tourism industry is decimated but if everyone local took a Manx holiday or at least a few days in a Manx hotel, holiday cottage or campsite they’d probably get more trade than the usual poor numbers of tourists we get here. I think this will actually expose what a joke industry our tourist sector is. It’s been propped up for years just to give the tourism department something to do. Outside of TT Week it’s generally a low volume affair and local families just having a few days break could happily fill the void IMHO for this year. They need to start incentivizing people to book a holiday at home. 

Not a bad idea

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Golfer said:

I think the issue isn't internal in bars, clubs etc, the Seoul incident was in packed nightclubs. I think IOM could at least gate outside space in pubs etc open initially.

if UK & Europe cases continue to fall we need borders open by July to allow travel. if we keep closed too long we risk isolation as only country in British Isles and maybe Europe with borders closed!

The Conservative government is closing the UK borders to be more open to the world