Coronavirus Isle of Man

56 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Which open restaurants and pubs does he recommend? 

There's plenty of places doing food delivery

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, Southfork said:

They want to have a big push around this for the accommodation sector. If we all went camping or glamping, or hired a hotel room for a few days, or hired a holiday cottage for a week for a change of scenery I bet the bookings would be better than the average tourists we usually get here as that’s hundreds of families so no need for any more state bailouts. You’d think this should be something that the DfE could really put some weight behind right now? Even some sort of voucher scheme to give discounts to get locals to leave their homes and go somewhere else for a few days? Let’s face it most are completely sick and tired of spending time in our own houses! 

Not sure if I want to holiday in a hotel room or pod I drive past every day on the way to work...

• Like 1

The Blue family are now not planning to travel off island this year and had already decided to go to a holiday cottage and hotel on the island when they open. I hope they keep the fences up at the Comis, we could have a WW2 themed holiday. I will bring my motorbike, although I suspect I will make a poor Steve McQueen.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Not sure if I want to holiday in a hotel room or pod I drive past every day on the way to work...

It’s all relative though isn’t it? I’ve spent more than enough time inside my own house in the last 10 weeks I’d happily book a Manx holiday cottage for a week just to sit in a different garden looking at different views. I’m sure many others are the same. A weeks camping would be great if the weather sticks too. The campsites have opened up now. It will just be about quality. There’s plenty of nice places here and plenty of poor places that have fed off poor quality tourist traffic. A week in a nice cottage would be a nice change of scenery, a week in somewhere like the Trevelyn Hotel less so! But it shouldn’t be beyond the wit of those highly paid tourism “experts” to put some sort of initiative together to incentivize people to holiday at home rather than just bail accommodation providers out? Vouchers, tax credits, affinity deals? We should certainly be holidaying at home if the borders stay shut. 

Edited by Southfork
5 minutes ago, Southfork said:

But it shouldn’t be beyond the wit of those highly paid tourism “experts” to put some sort of initiative together to incentivize people to holiday at home rather than just bail accommodation providers out? Vouchers, tax credits, affinity deals? We should certainly be holidaying at home if the borders stay shut. 

It's "incent" FFS! 

A centralised "house swap" register might be the way to go.

Face it, you won't have to worry about packing...

• Haha 1

Well if they keep the borders shut whilst U.K. Rates are low i and a number of other residents will not be happy particularly if CI open their borders. FRee the Manx!

1 hour ago, Golfer said:

Well if they keep the borders shut whilst U.K. Rates are low i and a number of other residents will not be happy particularly if CI open their borders. FRee the Manx!

Well you can get the boat out Any day of the week and enjoy what you feel you are missing while stuck here. You won’t be missed by us , but the Covid bug may befriend you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Well you can get the boat out Any day of the week and enjoy what you feel you are missing while stuck here. You won’t be missed by us , but the Covid bug may befriend you.

Stop being a Knob! Lots of residents want to visit family in U.K. And then return not stay locked up , have you not listened to news infections, deaths are in the way down across Europe including U.K. 

9 minutes ago, Golfer said:

Stop being a Knob! Lots of residents want to visit family in U.K. And then return not stay locked up , have you not listened to news infections, deaths are in the way down across Europe including U.K. 

A second wave is coming. If HQ and chums keep up the restrictions then they may well do the Island a favour.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Golfer said:

No irony here - I want it on my terms because I want to go away and then I want it on my terms when I come back because I want it my terms because I want - repeat repeat repeat repeat 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
33 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

A second wave is coming. If HQ and chums keep up the restrictions then they may well do the Island a favour.

Looking at the figures from europe they haven't been hit with a second wave.

It's almost like people are wanting it to happen so they can say I told you so

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Looking at the figures from europe they haven't been hit with a second wave.

It's almost like people some pricks are wanting it to happen so they can say I told you so

• Like 1