Coronavirus Isle of Man

1 hour ago, Golfer said:

Stop being a Knob! Lots of residents want to visit family in U.K. And then return not stay locked up , have you not listened to news infections, deaths are in the way down across Europe including U.K. 

Not quite way down https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/

Moving in the right direction though. This dataset is quite good IMHO.

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Golfer said:

Now only 10 active cases, at very least open the pubs for a pint!!

Active cases are only part of the issue. If you call 111, they give you an appointment the next day, at a time. Those are the  "awaiting testing". They have over the past few days gone from virtually nothing, to 8, now 6. See what it is tomorrow, and beyond. Active cases, and awaiting testing are all that matters. 

• Confused 1

Have any of our police contributors, or anybody else got any information about when the temporary speed limit is likely to be rescinded? Did it get linked to any step on the road map? I have not heard anything for what seems like an age, but the reasons for its introduction have lessened to such an extent to make it feel unreasonable.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Golfer said:

Stop being a Knob! Lots of residents want to visit family in U.K.

The UK rules don't allow that. And the hotels are closed.

Edited by pongo
4 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Have any of our police contributors, or anybody else got any information about when the temporary speed limit is likely to be rescinded? Did it get linked to any step on the road map? I have not heard anything for what seems like an age, but the reasons for its introduction have lessened to such an extent to make it feel unreasonable.

I don't obey it any longer.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I don't obey it any longer.

Three points and a fine would be bloody annoying if they lifted the limit the next day. If it goes on without any communication I imagine more will ignore it. After the bank holiday screw up you would think that one of the many government media people would remind Howie that it is still in place as it does appear to have slipped his mind.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Three points and a fine would be bloody annoying if they lifted the limit the next day. If it goes on without any communication I imagine more will ignore it. After the bank holiday screw up you would think that one of the many government media people would remind Howie that it is still in place as it does appear to have slipped his mind.

But there aren’t any cops about anywhere. I got well over a ton down the Ballamodda the other day. Chances of getting caught are almost nil. There is no reason for any emergency measures anymore or for people to drive like old ladies. They’re focusing all their time on chucking socially dysfunctional people in prison for being found on beaches or in other people’s homes. I don’t think the virus spreads over 50 mph. 

Edited by Southfork
5 hours ago, Golfer said:

Well if they keep the borders shut whilst U.K. Rates are low i and a number of other residents will not be happy particularly if CI open their borders. FRee the Manx!

What about the majority English?

2 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Mainly smug well off pensioners 

Eh?

Pensioners are in the high risk zone!

Don't really see them wanting a second wave of the virus! Do you?

Dear me....

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Southfork said:

But there aren’t any cops about anywhere. I got well over a ton down the Ballamodda the other day. Chances of getting caught are almost nil. There is no reason for any emergency measures anymore or for people to drive like old ladies. They’re focusing all their time on chucking socially dysfunctional people in prison for being found on beaches or in other people’s homes. I don’t think the virus spreads over 50 mph. 

You do see the irony in your statement? But obviously you're just rambling. Anyway despite it's name, Ballamodha Straight is a bad place to go speeding due to side roads and houses. Especially just now when it is quiet people don't expect any traffic let alone at 100mph.

Oh, and cops were out on Santon Straight, Wednesday lunchtime.

4 hours ago, gettafa said:

You do see the irony in your statement? But obviously you're just rambling. Anyway despite it's name, Ballamodha Straight is a bad place to go speeding due to side roads and houses. Especially just now when it is quiet people don't expect any traffic let alone at 100mph.

Oh, and cops were out on Santon Straight, Wednesday lunchtime.

I agree and I would like to see an all Island speed limit of say 60mph as whilst some drivers may be in control of their cars at 100+ mph it does not take into the account of other road users who are not expecting vehicles to be approaching or closing at that sort of speed.  The lack of an all Island speed limit does not discourage those who lack the driving skills to drive at high speed not to drive at such speeds. Very few of us will have had any formal high speed driving training but everybody who drives at high speed will, I am sure, state that they have the necessary driving skills, always drive to the conditions and only drive fast when it is safe to do so. They are just their opinions though and to say otherwise would basically to admit to dangerous driving.  Their opinions may well be wrong as ask any driver for their opinion how good and safe a driver they are and virtually all will believe they are a better than average driver. Just on the basis of what averages are they can not all be right.

Having said that the 40mph limit, which does not really effect me, needs to go. It was brought in to help the hospital cope with expected numbers in Covid 19 and to reduce the risks of emergency workers being exposed to Covid 19 by having to attend incidents. The current prevalence of Covid 19 on the IoM would indicate both those reasons no longer apply so based purely on the reasons stated for introducing the 40mph limit is no longer required.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Looking at the figures from europe they haven't been hit with a second wave.

It's almost like people are wanting it to happen so they can say I told you so

Bit too early to say that just yet. Added to which, Abbotswood excepted, we’ve not really had a first wave here, so if the non-appearance of second waves in Italy and Spain is down to population immunity, the IOM will still be at risk. 

I certainly don’t want it to happen, and with the low levels of infection here with just a few sporadic cases, we should be able to contain it. Opening up the local economy is a priority for me. The border however is a different matter. 

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Bit too early to say that just yet. Added to which, Abbotswood excepted, we’ve not really had a first wave here, so if the non-appearance of second waves in Italy and Spain is down to population immunity, the IOM will still be at risk. 

I certainly don’t want it to happen, and with the low levels of infection here with just a few sporadic cases, we should be able to contain it. Opening up the local economy is a priority for me. The border however is a different matter. 

I agree. My problem is what is meant by opening up the local economy?

If we become virus free pubs, restaurants,  theatres etc should imo reopen as they were. Shops should scrap the 2m rule etc. If we are condemned to scuttling around like frightened rabbits for years to come, then I am not in favour. 

• Like 3

During a press conference on Monday, Jersey’s senior politicians raised the prospect of people being allowed to travel to and from the Island, with suggestions that passengers arriving by plane or boat may be offered Covid-19 tests on arrival, rather than automatically self-isolating for a fortnight, as the Island continues to plan a safe exit strategy.

Jersey’s Medical Officer of Health, Dr Susan Turnbull, said that those who did not wish to self-isolate for 14 days could be offered a test and would only have to stay in quarantine for 24 hours until the result was available. Those given the all-clear would be able to go out, with a follow-up test on the fourth day after their arrival to make sure they remained free of the virus.

tha above from JEP is what Jersey are considering to open borders more quickly, seems like something we could consider.