Coronavirus Isle of Man

9 minutes ago, Golfer said:

During a press conference on Monday, Jersey’s senior politicians raised the prospect of people being allowed to travel to and from the Island, with suggestions that passengers arriving by plane or boat may be offered Covid-19 tests on arrival, rather than automatically self-isolating for a fortnight, as the Island continues to plan a safe exit strategy.

Jersey’s Medical Officer of Health, Dr Susan Turnbull, said that those who did not wish to self-isolate for 14 days could be offered a test and would only have to stay in quarantine for 24 hours until the result was available. Those given the all-clear would be able to go out, with a follow-up test on the fourth day after their arrival to make sure they remained free of the virus.

tha above from JEP is what Jersey are considering to open borders more quickly, seems like something we could consider.

Seems like the basis of a good idea; I'd prefer isolation until the second negative test though.

I'm not sure about testing capacity; we can do 200 tests per day; 300 at a push? That's not even one full crossing on the Ben.

I have no idea what sort of numbers arrive on the Island each day in normal circumstances but I'd guess we'd need at least ten times the current testing capacity. 

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

Have any of our police contributors, or anybody else got any information about when the temporary speed limit is likely to be rescinded? Did it get linked to any step on the road map? I have not heard anything for what seems like an age, but the reasons for its introduction have lessened to such an extent to make it feel unreasonable.

No news. It’s very odd. The end now doesn’t justify the means.

6 hours ago, gettafa said:

You do see the irony in your statement? But obviously you're just rambling. Anyway despite it's name, Ballamodha Straight is a bad place to go speeding due to side roads and houses. Especially just now when it is quiet people don't expect any traffic let alone at 100mph.

Oh, and cops were out on Santon Straight, Wednesday lunchtime.

It was similar knobheadery that led to a 3 day closure on that stretch of road whilst we untangled a multiple fatal, which led to the 40 and 50 sections on there.

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

I agree and I would like to see an all Island speed limit of say 60mph as whilst some drivers may be in control of their cars at 100+ mph it does not take into the account of other road users who are not expecting vehicles to be approaching or closing at that sort of speed.  The lack of an all Island speed limit does not discourage those who lack the driving skills to drive at high speed not to drive at such speeds. Very few of us will have had any formal high speed driving training but everybody who drives at high speed will, I am sure, state that they have the necessary driving skills, always drive to the conditions and only drive fast when it is safe to do so. They are just their opinions though and to say otherwise would basically to admit to dangerous driving.  Their opinions may well be wrong as ask any driver for their opinion how good and safe a driver they are and virtually all will believe they are a better than average driver. Just on the basis of what averages are they can not all be right.

Having said that the 40mph limit, which does not really effect me, needs to go. It was brought in to help the hospital cope with expected numbers in Covid 19 and to reduce the risks of emergency workers being exposed to Covid 19 by having to attend incidents. The current prevalence of Covid 19 on the IoM would indicate both those reasons no longer apply so based purely on the reasons stated for introducing the 40mph limit is no longer required.

Most of you know I’m pro-speed limit as it is part of the safer speed component of the National Road Safety Strategy - currently holed below the waterline by paragraph 7.5 ‘cos CoMin knows best. 

That said, this is all very odd indeed. I do wonder if they’ve finally grasped the need for culture change and are just working out how to break the news.

2 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Seems like the basis of a good idea; I'd prefer isolation until the second negative test though.

I'm not sure about testing capacity; we can do 200 tests per day; 300 at a push? That's not even one full crossing on the Ben.

I have no idea what sort of numbers arrive on the Island each day in normal circumstances but I'd guess we'd need at least ten times the current testing capacity. 

The testing capacity is an issue. When we start to open the borders I would like to see some restrictions remain. I am sure social distancing and possibly masks would be compulsory when on the boat. I would expect the boats will also be operating with limited capacity. On return probably 3 or 4 tests over the subsequent 14 days and a requirement to social distance etc during that period. A restrictions on the number of return trips over a period. Maybe one return trip every few months. Only travel onto the Island if you are resident here, a key worker or coming to stay with relatives plus compassionate reasons.

That way you allow some travel but you greatly limit the numbers

• Sad 1
40 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

No news. It’s very odd. The end now doesn’t justify the means.

It was similar knobheadery that led to a 3 day closure on that stretch of road whilst we untangled a multiple fatal, which led to the 40 and 50 sections on there.

Most of you know I’m pro-speed limit as it is part of the safer speed component of the National Road Safety Strategy - currently holed below the waterline by paragraph 7.5 ‘cos CoMin knows best. 

That said, this is all very odd indeed. I do wonder if they’ve finally grasped the need for culture change and are just working out how to break the news.

To impose a national speed limit on the back of a temporary speed limit and during the Covid mess would be political suicide, displaying contempt for vast swathes of the public and a disregard for democracy. If they want ti introduce such a limit they need to deal with it as a distinct issue at an appropriate time.

I too find the silence worrying and more than a little odd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, gettafa said:

You do see the irony in your statement? But obviously you're just rambling. Anyway despite it's name, Ballamodha Straight is a bad place to go speeding due to side roads and houses. Especially just now when it is quiet people don't expect any traffic let alone at 100mph.

Oh, and cops were out on Santon Straight, Wednesday lunchtime.

Once you get past the junction at the top it's clear enough until the airport turn off.  Speed is as much as about the car as the driver.  Some cars are just not made to be driven at a ton.  Whereas some are.   The Mountain Road isn't really getting obeyed at 40 mph.  I certainly haven't been where possible.

5 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Some cars are just not made to be driven at a ton.

And none on the tiny rural roads we enjoy here.

Clear stretches of motorways would be a different matter.

1 hour ago, Golfer said:

During a press conference on Monday, Jersey’s senior politicians raised the prospect of people being allowed to travel to and from the Island, with suggestions that passengers arriving by plane or boat may be offered Covid-19 tests on arrival, rather than automatically self-isolating for a fortnight, as the Island continues to plan a safe exit strategy.

Jersey’s Medical Officer of Health, Dr Susan Turnbull, said that those who did not wish to self-isolate for 14 days could be offered a test and would only have to stay in quarantine for 24 hours until the result was available. Those given the all-clear would be able to go out, with a follow-up test on the fourth day after their arrival to make sure they remained free of the virus.

tha above from JEP is what Jersey are considering to open borders more quickly, seems like something we could consider.

I read somewhere else (not sure if it is in relation to Jersey or travel in general) that people would need to be tested on arrival and then leaving the country and the test will be close to £100 a pop so for a family of 4 you are looking at nearly an extra 800 quid on top of the holiday. I have a trip booked to Scotland in September and if this was to be the plan the testing will actually cost more than my entire trip. travel in the short to medium term doesn't seem appealing

Just now, thommo2010 said:

I read somewhere else (not sure if it is in relation to Jersey or travel in general) that people would need to be tested on arrival and then leaving the country and the test will be close to £100 a pop so for a family of 4 you are looking at nearly an extra 800 quid on top of the holiday. I have a trip booked to Scotland in September and if this was to be the plan the testing will actually cost more than my entire trip. travel in the short to medium term doesn't seem appealing

It’s about necessary travel though isn’t it? If you really need to go somewhere for a funeral, or hospital treatments etc then you’ll find the money as the only way you’re going to be able to do it. I really can’t believe so many people are so narrow minded when it comes to compassionate travel. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Southfork said:

It’s about necessary travel though isn’t it? If you really need to go somewhere for a funeral, or hospital treatments etc then you’ll find the money as the only way you’re going to be able to do it. I really can’t believe so many people are so narrow minded when it comes to compassionate travel. 

This was talking about travel in general whenever it gets going

• Like 1
1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

It's just unworkable.  At some point people need to be able to come and go as they please.  Granted, that point isn't right now.  But by the end of June it should be.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, gettafa said:

You do see the irony in your statement? But obviously you're just rambling. 

I’m not just rambling at all. I made a conscious decision at the weekend to just ignore all this rubbish. I’ve got little intention of following any of the stupid and pointless rules that have been put in place In the last week or so as they make no sense at all and they are not protecting anyone. It’s just governments scared and bowing to the paranoid shut down the world mob when little of it makes any sense. I can only go in a shop for 15 mins (which they can’t monitor anyway) but a shop worker can work in a shop all day with no requirement for protective equipment. You might as well not bother. It’s got to the point that most of it in practical terms is just a poor attempt at face saving and in the worst sense is pure bullshit. 

Edited by Southfork
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why did you cut out the rest of my post?

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Derek, could you indicate how many emergency services were involved with that? Were they able to attend to the people involved without breaking social distancing? Did  they know who they were dealing with or did they just get on with their job and duty regardless?

(I think I know the answers but lots of other people don't)

3 hours ago, Lost Login said:

IHaving said that the 40mph limit, which does not really effect me, needs to go. It was brought in to help the hospital cope with expected numbers in Covid 19 and to reduce the risks of emergency workers being exposed to Covid 19 by having to attend incidents. The current prevalence of Covid 19 on the IoM would indicate both those reasons no longer apply so based purely on the reasons stated for introducing the 40mph limit is no longer required.

25 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Why did you cut out the rest of my post?

Derek, could you indicate how many emergency services were involved with that? Were they able to attend to the people involved without breaking social distancing? Did  they know who they were dealing with or did they just get on with their job and duty regardless?

(I think I know the answers but lots of other people don't)

A horrible incident that took up many hours of resources, but may I point out that those attending emergency services work with each other all of the time and therefore are not at risk of additional exposure from each other, and also worth mentioning is that the capacity to deal with this type of incident currently is good, if not indeed enhanced at the moment.

• Like 3