Coronavirus Isle of Man

My friend and her friend were killed on the corner at the top of the Ballamhoda, two teenagers were damaged for life and a woman and a baby were thrown from one of the cars and all caused by some low life without the necessary skills or documents to even be on the road who thought he was invincible and able to handle a car at high speed. How on earth we can keep the roads and society clear of such zombie cretins I don't know, however, bleeding hearts and concern about their, 'rights', certainly don't bring back the dead!

As an aside, he managed to get out of it uninjured!

• Like 4
  • Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

Anyone calling for the speed limit to be lifted, or even questioning it just now should have their licence taken off them. And their vehicle crushed etc. There said it.

Incidentally, with others of course, I once campaigned and lobbied, I would like to think with a good degree of success, in keeping the 'no limit'. An All-Island Speed Limit was up in Tynwald and the motion lost by the closest possible of margins. A single vote in one of the disagreeing branches.

I had good reasons to do that at the time but increasingly these days I am wondering if my efforts were misguided.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

My friend and her friend were killed on the corner at the top of the Ballamhoda, two teenagers were damaged for life and a woman and a baby were thrown from one of the cars and all caused by some low life without the necessary skills or documents to even be on the road who thought he was invincible and able to handle a car at high speed. How on earth we can keep the roads and society clear of such zombie cretins I don't know, however, bleeding hearts and concern about their, 'rights', certainly don't bring back the dead!

As an aside, he managed to get out of it uninjured!

How indeed, a debate to be had for sure, but not at the moment on the back of an emergency measure. I have no doubt speed, driving standards and training will be on the agenda in due course, when they can be looked into and dealt with in a democratic and open manner. I am glad to hear that your friend got out, unlike the other unfortunate victims. I worry about what will happen when my children start driving, but now is not the time.

1 minute ago, gettafa said:

Anyone calling for the speed limit to be lifted, or even questioning it just now should have their licence taken off them. And their vehicle crushed etc. There said it.

Yay yes let’s shut down the world because it’s all about keeping us “safe”! Throw them in prison for a few months as well. It would be silly not to while we have the powers. That will teach them! 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Incidentally, with others of course, I once campaigned and lobbied, I would like to think with a good degree of success, in keeping the 'no limit'. An All-Island Speed Limit was up in Tynwald and the motion lost by the closest possible of margins. A single vote in one of the disagreeing branches.

I had good reasons to do that at the time but increasingly these days I am wondering if my efforts were misguided.

I don't intend on being drawn into the All-Island Limit debate but I disagree about lifting the current 40 mph limit; it's no longer necessary.

Raise to 50 for a week then 60 the next; consider leaving it at 60 for a while but I believe that the debate about future, permanent speed limits should be done in the context of a general election.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Golfer said:

Stop being a Knob! Lots of residents want to visit family in U.K. And then return not stay locked up , have you not listened to news infections, deaths are in the way down across Europe including U.K. 

I would suggest the only knob is you. Have a think before you post selfish proposals

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
17 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

I would suggest the only knob is you. Have a think before you post selfish proposals

He's not the only knob.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, Southfork said:

But there aren’t any cops about anywhere. I got well over a ton down the Ballamodda the other day. Chances of getting caught are almost nil. There is no reason for any emergency measures anymore or for people to drive like old ladies. They’re focusing all their time on chucking socially dysfunctional people in prison for being found on beaches or in other people’s homes. I don’t think the virus spreads over 50 mph. 

I'd be interested to hear your reasoning for doing 'well over a ton on the Ballamodha' - what did you achieve / hope to achieve by doing something approaching three times the speed limit?

• Like 1
Just now, Manximus Aururaneus said:

I'd be interested to hear your reasoning for doing 'well over a ton on the Ballamodha' - what did you achieve / hope to achieve by doing something approaching three times the speed limit?

The only thing I achieved was completely ignoring a pointless rule that has been applied for little protection to anyone. 

• Confused 1
1 minute ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Nothing personal, but I hope you get caught, banned, and jailed.

That’s fine. It’s very unlikely to happen as the police are only locking up people with previous form for embarrassingly minor infractions. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1