Coronavirus Isle of Man

1 hour ago, Out of the blue said:

How indeed, a debate to be had for sure, but not at the moment on the back of an emergency measure. I have no doubt speed, driving standards and training will be on the agenda in due course, when they can be looked into and dealt with in a democratic and open manner. I am glad to hear that your friend got out, unlike the other unfortunate victims. I worry about what will happen when my children start driving, but now is not the time.

Sorry. my friend was one of the dead! The verminous cretin who caused the crash was the one who got out with no injuries at all! , He caused two dead, two teenagers with life changing brain injuries and an injured baby and mother.

My friend was on the way to work with her friend, goodness knows what the vermin was doing driving a loaded car, or any car for that matter.

I shall never forget getting to work and then getting the phone call that my friend and colleague would not be arriving because she was dead!

Then when I heard about the circumstances ........................well, there are no words .

• Sad 2
  • Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Tonight there will be the weekly "clap" for the NHS and whoever else is now included in the list. There will be the ritual shaming of neighbours by some if those neighbours are not out applauding enthusiastically enough whilst others will be simply trying to ensure they can have a few facebook likes by dressing up etc.

Now I am thankful for NHS staff, carers etc and believe they are underpaid for what they would do. I would not object to a small increase in my taxes to contribute towards this but we have very few cases of Covid 19 in hospital. At the last count it was 2 and the hospital has stopped much of what it would normally do. Are we therefore clapping to thank staff for working much harder and longer hours than they would do and putting themselves at risk from Covid 19 when in reality at present many of them may be having a slightly less hard time than normal due to the lack of treatment etc for other patients. If you normally work in A&E you are possibly grateful for having a break from the abusive drunks who turn up on Friday and Saturday nights.

Not having a go at those working in the NHS more really those going out to applaud who are making it more about themselves and won't give a monkey's about NHS staff etc and what they have to cope with once Covid 19 is over. In the UK you have the NHS relying on those not from the UK to staff it, many are on low pay and they are required to pay to have the right to use the NHS which without them would collapse. Boris and other politicians will ensure they are seen out tonight applauding but will do diddly squat to actually help the staff unless they are forced, kicking and streaming to.  

Even if you don't like Rhod Gilbert can I just also recommend people watch his work experience episode when he is a care worker. Gives you an idea of what it is like being a carer, many of who are on minimum wages https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000hqvk/rhod-gilberts-work-experience-series-9-1-care-worker Not a job I could do.

Edited by Lost Login
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

Hopefully theres legs in this and it turns out to be true

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/1263395238590255105

That would be nice.  From an evolutionary perspective it makes some sense.  Imagine two strains of the virus (with enough similarity that they give cross immunity) one that is serious/lethal, the other that is mild.  The mild one would spread easily and thus reproduce more, whereas the lethal one would kill its victims (and thus itself) and even before then spread less because it would be recognised as 'bad', people would keep away, medics would wear their PPE etc.  If the two strains start out at a 50/50 prevalence, and using doubling times similar to those seen in the growth of cases in unmitigated cases and with halved R0, after a month the non-lethal virus would make up 99.5% of the viral population.

Those figures are just for illustration, to make the point that a virus can naturally evolve to a less lethal form of infection.  For the avoidance of doubt (for some contributors here) this is not part of the government's advice or modelling.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Tonight there will be the weekly "clap" for the NHS and whoever else is now included in the list. There will be the ritual shaming of neighbours by some if those neighbours are not out applauding enthusiastically enough whilst others will be simply trying to ensure they can have a few facebook likes by dressing up etc.

I'm 99.999...% sure you are imagining this.

• Like 1

Personally I've been impressed at how people have mostly tried to pull together in the face of what for most normal people was a potentially very frightening situation. If a sense of community spirit helps to keep people connected then I can certainly understand how that is useful and important.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Southfork said:

That’s fine. It’s very unlikely to happen as the police are only locking up people with previous form for embarrassingly minor infractions. 

Not true - I was followed all the way to Ramsey over the mountain by a police car.  My limiter was set at 40, as it has been every time I've been there during this period.

There really is no need for a 'no limit' road anywhere.  It'd be fine for me, because I'm sensible, but every other driver on the road can be put into one of two categories - the morons that hold me up by going too slowly, and the imbeciles that risk life and limb by going too fast.  For the latter group we need a limit.  I'd vote for 60.  There's really minimal difference in journey times, if any.  If you want your thrills driving fast get a race license.  Or a playstation.

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Not true - I was followed all the way to Ramsey over the mountain by a police car.  My limiter was set at 40, as it has been every time I've been there during this period.

There really is no need for a 'no limit' road anywhere.  It'd be fine for me, because I'm sensible, but every other driver on the road can be put into one of two categories - the morons that hold me up by going too slowly, and the imbeciles that risk life and limb by going too fast.  For the latter group we need a limit.  I'd vote for 60.  There's really minimal difference in journey times, if any.  If you want your thrills driving fast get a race license.  Or a playstation.

That seems like a nonsense driving generalisation. 

Of course there are a small number of people who drive beyond their and their car's limits.  These are outweighed by people who drive too slowly.  Although those numbers are not huge.

Most people drive ok.  There is plenty of scope to push on a bit on the Mountain if it is clear enough and you have a suitable car in which to do it.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I think it’s all about risk really. If government is prepared to shut down the whole economy and bring in a 40 mph to keep us “safe” I’m really looking forward to it’s justification for running the TT next year. Will we all be “safe”? How will we all be protected from death to “stay safe”? Will I be able to use the roads and be guaranteed to be “safe” from being killed or injured by a visiting biker? It’s odd me that being “safe” is their primary concern in one area of life to the point that I may well be “safe” and yet “unemployed” and yet many of us will not be “safe” next year from the carnage generated by an event that they themselves put on. 

Edited by Southfork
6 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That seems like a nonsense driving generalisation. 

It was a joke.  Perhaps I should have used a smiley :rolleyes:

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I pull over if the Police are behind me up the Mountain and let them crack on.  

48 minutes ago, pongo said:

I'm 99.999...% sure you are imagining this.

OK, fair cop,  I exaggerated slightly in that it is if you don't go out and be seen to applaud that neighbours will try and shame you into it. I also accept it is not everywhere 

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

He's not the only knob.

I was trying to leave you out of it... :thumbsup:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Of course there are a small number of people who drive beyond their and their car's limits.  These are outweighed by people who drive too slowly.  Although those numbers are not huge.

I was behind someone yesterday on a road which has a statutory 40 mph limit on it. They drove at between 29 and 34 mph. When they got out onto a normally derestricted road, their speed varied between 30 and 33 mph. They approached a 30 mph sign at 33 mph and braked. Fair enough? Not really. I didn't brake and was doing 30 when I passed the sign. There's a slight upwards slope.

He then exceeded 30 through the village, and left me behind! 

Out of the 30, and back up to 40? No chance. By the time I turned off, soon after, there were about 8 cars in a longtail queue behind. 

No overtaking chances, due to bends in the road, traffic coming the other way, etc.. No, not rush hour, some time after 10 am.

People like that can cause accidents by making the people behind get fed up and take chances.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

OK, fair cop,  I exaggerated slightly in that it is if you don't go out and be seen to applaud that neighbours will try and shame you into it. I also accept it is not everywhere 

Sounds made up to be honest.