Coronavirus Isle of Man

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

OK, fair cop,  I exaggerated slightly in that it is if you don't go out and be seen to applaud that neighbours will try and shame you into it. I also accept it is not everywhere 

No you’re perfectly right it’s happening all over 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-woman-named-and-shamed-by-neighbours-on-facebook-for-not-joining-clap-for-carers-11978192

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/tired-mum-named-shamed-facebook-18143150

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/mum-mortified-after-being-shamed-18144188

There are some really sad bastards out there. But then we are living in a time of enforced compliance with the instruments of state to keep us “safe” it’s like being made to pray to a false icon. 

Edited by Southfork
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

More changes, you can send your kids to school from 17 June if you want. Offices open again too, if it can be made safe with social distancing etc. 1st of June for your haircuts and that, and cafes/restaurants that have outdoor areas. So we're nearly all the way locally. Not ready for pubs yet though.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, slinkydevil said:

Gradual phased though, not everyone.

Oh right sorry I wasn't listening properly. I thought he'd said all schools open 15th and voluntary attendance from 17th. 

suggest re-reading 1984 and the 2min hates required by Big Brother - people under pressure soon resort to acceptance of fascism to 'keep them safe' from the enemy without

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
24 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

More changes, you can send your kids to school from 17 June if you want. Offices open again too, if it can be made safe with social distancing etc. 1st of June for your haircuts and that, and cafes/restaurants that have outdoor areas. So we're nearly all the way locally. Not ready for pubs yet though.

Offices may be open but the paperwork required to satisfy government/elf and safety means not many will be going back anytime soon

Great steps forward hopefully we are getting there if everyone continues to be sensible, or most people, there are always the idiots who think they are invincible even got some on this forum.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wrighty said:

Not true - I was followed all the way to Ramsey over the mountain by a police car.  My limiter was set at 40, as it has been every time I've been there during this period.

There really is no need for a 'no limit' road anywhere.  It'd be fine for me, because I'm sensible, but every other driver on the road can be put into one of two categories - the morons that hold me up by going too slowly, and the imbeciles that risk life and limb by going too fast.  For the latter group we need a limit.  I'd vote for 60.  There's really minimal difference in journey times, if any.  If you want your thrills driving fast get a race license.  Or a playstation.

I've been working right through the lockdown to include regular commutes over the Mountain Rd. Personal opinions: 40mph is too slow, it falls irritatingly between ideal 4th gear speed and ideal 5th gear speed in my vehicle. However, having driven through the now increasing traffic this week, it's very noticeable how the blanket limit smooths out the overall flow and journey. There is no "concertina-ing" of lines of cars, largely caused by complete dickheads trying to overtake lines of slower cars at 70-80mph before having to slam on the brakes and find a gap to get back in because they've encountered something coming in the opposite direction. We've all seen it. These people largely need to be relieved of their licences.

It's been a considerably safer journey with far less defensive driving required because of absence of said complete dickheads. Something of a saving on fuel too. So far more efficient overall. I could see a 50 or 60mph limit being implemented on the back of this. Although as a biker too, it would be a pain in that respect.

I also wonder if anybody could perm any stats to work out exactly how many RTIs (and even deaths) we've avoided in this period, over usual conditions (Derek F?)

13 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Great steps forward hopefully we are getting there if everyone continues to be sensible, or most people, there are always the idiots who think they are invincible even got some on this forum.

Getting where?  Many of us where hoping that the aim of the restrictions was to eliminate Covi19 from the IoM so that we could return to near normal with the borders closed. That does not appear to be the Govt's aim. That appears to be a "new normal", which they won't detail as far as I can see, which appears to be about ensuring the cases of Covid 19 remain low, not eliminated and for social distancing to continue in some form for a long time yet.

The rush to get the economy going appears to have been the priority over eliminating Covid19. It may not have worked but I would have much preferred that they kept the restrictions in a bit longer to try and eliminate  Covid 19 so we could all have all got back to normal sooner and got rid of social distancing. Govt's action may not have caused a spike but have they been enough to keep Covid 19 bubbling along at a low level. Either that or just us all take our own precautions and have very few restrictions.

Either we just live with Covid19 or we try and eliminate locally, it seems Govt are caught between the two.  

12 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Getting where?  Many of us where hoping that the aim of the restrictions was to eliminate Covi19 from the IoM so that we could return to near normal with the borders closed. That does not appear to be the Govt's aim. That appears to be a "new normal", which they won't detail as far as I can see, which appears to be about ensuring the cases of Covid 19 remain low, not eliminated and for social distancing to continue in some form for a long time yet.

The rush to get the economy going appears to have been the priority over eliminating Covid19. It may not have worked but I would have much preferred that they kept the restrictions in a bit longer to try and eliminate  Covid 19 so we could all have all got back to normal sooner and got rid of social distancing. Govt's action may not have caused a spike but have they been enough to keep Covid 19 bubbling along at a low level. Either that or just us all take our own precautions and have very few restrictions.

Either we just live with Covid19 or we try and eliminate locally, it seems Govt are caught between the two.  

The plan was never to eradicate it. That's pretty much impossible could maybe do it with the borders shut but once they open it's likely to start again. The whole point of the restrictions was to stop the nhs being overwhelmed.  That's been achieved

• Like 3
1 hour ago, slinkydevil said:

Gradual phased though, not everyone.

Boys on the 15th, Girls on the 16th and all Peel schools in the 17th?

25 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Well I think it was one of Howies better updates, hairdresser open, restaurants outside space, schools going back, 100 per week residents can return, non residents can come for compassionate reasons but have to isolate for 14 days etc.

he also said when questioned about borders that they will consider what infection rate is in U.K., hospital admissions etc when deciding on reopening which will probably be on a phased basis which gives hope for Summer sometime.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Golfer said:

Well I think it was one of Howies better updates, hairdresser open, restaurants outside space, schools going back, 100 per week residents can return, non residents can come for compassionate reasons but have to isolate for 14 days etc.

he also said when questioned about borders that they will consider what infection rate is in U.K., hospital admissions etc when deciding on reopening which will probably be on a phased basis which gives hope for Summer sometime.

I'm certainly more optimistic about my summer holidays than I was a week ago

• Like 1