Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

21 minutes ago, P.K. said:

This post is just dripping in delicious irony:

Absolutely hilarious!

Someone who actually uses Daily Wail "facts" to try and back up their nonsense....

Not an article but a report...

You see you can’t help yourself. Here’s another survey (below) from 2017 which places us 50th and Jersey 14th. As I said it was simply a Mail report of a survey not a Daily Mail survey. I’m sure most non idiots understand the fact that newspapers report on facts and things like survey results. The same survey was reported in several newspapers it’s just that the one I linked to was more assessable via Google. But that wouldn’t allow you to have a good old rant about Daily Mail readers of which I am certainly not one. 

IOM Newspapers 2017

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=35445

So were not such a great place to remote work from. As you would know if you were actually here. As our broadband infrastructure is, in general, crappy. as anyone who has tried to hike work for the last 8 weeks knows. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Southfork said:

You see you can’t help yourself. Here’s another survey (below) from 2017 which places us 50th and Jersey 14th. As I said it was simply a Mail report of a survey not a Daily Mail survey. I’m sure most non idiots understand the fact that newspapers report on facts and things like survey results. The same survey was reported in several newspapers it’s just that the one I linked to was more assessable via Google. But that wouldn’t allow you to have a good old rant about Daily Mail readers of which I am certainly not one. 

IOM Newspapers 2017

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=35445

So were not such a great place to remote work from. As you would know if you were actually here. As our broadband infrastructure is, in general, crappy. as anyone who has tried to hike work for the last 8 weeks knows. 

Jersey had full fibre in 2017. Jersey is 1/4 of the size of the Isle of Man. Jerseys GDP is only 20% lower than ours. Their population density is huge and there are many more apartment buildings, meaning getting infrastructure to people is easier.

We started to install fibre in the second half of 2017, after this test took place. 

Surprisingly, not everyone who is working from home is having internet issues. 20% of the island has fibre coverage so at a minimum those people are fine, no doubt. Mine is great, and I'm sure the majority of people have a service that is adequate for their home-working needs. 

The biggest issue that I find with working from home, is the lack of separation both on terms of space and also mentally. This is also true of my colleagues, and friends. Not many have the luxury of a separate space, some do but don't want to buy a small workstation to sit in the corner of the room because they will be going back to the office. Lots of them are sitting on dinning room chairs, crouched over a laptop. I have spare rooms but I'm not going to convert one into a home office unless I know I'm going to be working from home on a regular basis beyond this.

If companies decide they would rather have more people working from home - and some of them are going to implement this as a long-term plan for some staff - then they should provide support for the staff who need it. Like help with workstations, providing desktops instead of laptops or at least separate monitors, office chairs, help with upgrading their infrastructure or equipment so it's most efficient. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Feelslike said:

If companies decide they would rather have more people working from home - and some of them are going to implement this as a long-term plan for some staff - then they should provide support for the staff who need it. Like help with workstations, providing desktops instead of laptops or at least separate monitors, office chairs, help with upgrading their infrastructure or equipment so it's most efficient. 

Agreed. The companies already implementing this have generous equipment packages for remote working. If this is a new thing for Manx companies they should include stuff as part of their employment package along with holidays, healthcare etc. So help with PC's, chairs and perhaps money towards broadband costs, telephone etc. 

• Like 1

Why are certain hair dressers that have decided they don’t want to open yet ( as is there choice) making a big thing all over manx radio and Facebook and other places about not wanting to open.  It’s there choice and nobody is forcing them.  

I'm confused what there goal is?  Do they want the public to say “yes we agreee, don’t open”?

My opinion is that it is there choice and they can do what they want.....but is it really “News” worthy?

• Like 1

A bit of a change of subject, but it's all the same stuff:

I was wondering if vaping e-cigarettes would carry coronavirus. The vapour, by definition, has been swilling around in a persons lungs and certainly the throat, and then is carried a long way in the air for others to breath in too.

Maybe there is a significance here.

Maybe there is not.

Maybe.

At least with vaping you can see the exhaled breath and duck around it! You can also see how quickly it dissipates. Vape and cigarette smoke is blown out at a higher speed than normal exhale speeds.

55 minutes ago, Feelslike said:

Surprisingly, not everyone who is working from home is having internet issues. 20% of the island has fibre coverage so at a minimum those people are fine, no doubt. Mine is great, and I'm sure the majority of people have a service that is adequate for their home-working needs. 

That’s a really small percentage. That doesn’t really back up up your assertion that al lot of people don’t have problems as I’m aware of a lot of issues several businesses have had due to appalling internet service. We’re paying some of the highest broadband rates in Europe yet the service is barely adequate most of the time. 

12 hours ago, Southfork said:

I fully agree. But there seems to be this belief amongst certain quarters that after this we’re all going to start living completely different lives and not flying, and not consuming, and all walking hand in had in the middle of the road as all the the cars will be parked up and our lungs will be filled full of lovely fresh air and it’s completely wrong. People will quickly be returning to flying and people will be returning to the shops and people will be back using cars, trains and ships again because that’s generally what people want. It also seems that those that believe we’re all going to be living new lives are the same lazy bastards who don’t want to go back to work and see Covid as an excuse for a massive big skive for at least 6 months. He only thing stopping us opening us opening our borders today is the complete mess Boris is making of managing the UKs Covid response. I actually think he’s had some sort of mini breakdown for the back of it all. 

Is it what people want? Many seem quite content with a quieter, less active, less polluting 'new normal'

There is a response to global warming to deliver

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, pongo said:

The fact remains that much of what we do can be done perfectly well online. Indeed much of what we do actually is specifically online.

It has to be a key objective of the next government that the island has internet capacity & capability that is world class

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pongo said:

The island is great place to work remotely.

& should be promoted as such

24 minutes ago, Barlow said:

A bit of a change of subject, but it's all the same stuff:

I was wondering if vaping e-cigarettes would carry coronavirus. The vapour, by definition, has been swilling around in a persons lungs and certainly the throat, and then is carried a long way in the air for others to breath in too.

Maybe there is a significance here.

Maybe there is not.

Maybe.

Remember that mysterious vaping disease in the US last year?

That's what started this all off.

1 hour ago, Feelslike said:

Jersey had full fibre in 2017. Jersey is 1/4 of the size of the Isle of Man. Jerseys GDP is only 20% lower than ours. Their population density is huge and there are many more apartment buildings, meaning getting infrastructure to people is easier.

We started to install fibre in the second half of 2017, after this test took place. 

The biggest issue that I find with working from home, is the lack of separation both on terms of space and also mentally. This is also true of my colleagues, and friends. Not many have the luxury of a separate space, some do but don't want to buy a small workstation to sit in the corner of the room because they will be going back to the office. Lots of them are sitting on dinning room chairs, crouched over a laptop. I have spare rooms but I'm not going to convert one into a home office unless I know I'm going to be working from home on a regular basis beyond this.

I'd always thought Jersey's GDP to be significantly higher than ours but we're now roughly on a par: Jersey 2018 £4.642bn   IOM 2017 £4.888bn

22 minutes ago, Southfork said:

That’s a really small percentage. That doesn’t really back up up your assertion that al lot of people don’t have problems as I’m aware of a lot of issues several businesses have had due to appalling internet service. We’re paying some of the highest broadband rates in Europe yet the service is barely adequate most of the time. 

I'm getting a huge amount of drop-out on my fibre lately

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

It has to be a key objective of the next government that the island has internet capacity & capability that is world class

& affordable to all

• Like 2

Just now, Donald Trumps said:

I'm getting a huge amount of drop-out on my fibre lately

Does it happen between about 11am and 3pm? That's when it was dropping a lot for me while I was off. Rest of the time it has mostly been ok.

• Like 1