Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

I have suggested on here and to at least a couple of politicos and ex Douglas politicos that I thought the Old Nurses Home in the hands of a  independent third sector provider, would make a very good hostel. It could be used to provide self contained units, clean, tidy and functional bedsit type accommodation, or small studio apartments for vulnerable and ‘homeless’ individuals. Some of these people need life experiences, under a watchful eye, sadly this island molly coddles people, throw money at the problem.

Yes, sheltered studio accommodation with a warden perhaps overlooking maybe ten of them

2 hours ago, Golfer said:

the news reporter mentioned that they are now under pressure to open borders due to massive losses in income , Jersey also mentioned as losing £120m pm . IOM not mentioned!!

Nobody sensible believes that it would be a good idea to open the border here. Not any time soon and certainly not whilst the UK is in such a mess thanks to the London govt. To open it would be hugely unpopular and would create significant uncertainty which would undermine the economy - getting more people back to work depends upon keeping the border closed for the foreseeable.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

The border issue should be reviewed towards the end of June.  At that point there will be a lot more clarity of the external situation.

That would be sensible as U.K. virus deaths and infections continue to fall and hopefully in another month will be similar to the rest of Europe and U.K. Borders open.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Golfer said:

That would be sensible as U.K. virus deaths and infections continue to fall and hopefully in another month will be similar to the rest of Europe and U.K. Borders open.

Let's hope that the issue will never be driven by populists worrying about inconsequential stuff like an holiday they've still not cancelled or wotnot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I have suggested on here and to at least a couple of politicos and ex Douglas politicos that I thought the Old Nurses Home in the hands of a  independent third sector provider, would make a very good hostel. It could be used to provide self contained units, clean, tidy and functional bedsit type accommodation, or small studio apartments for vulnerable and ‘homeless’ individuals. Some of these people need life experiences, under a watchful eye, sadly this island molly coddles people, throw money at the problem.

A great idea. I thought the same about the Reayrt ny Bae Old folks home Albion Terr. but I can imagine the petitions starting already.:angry:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kopek said:

A great idea. I thought the same about the Reayrt ny Bae Old folks home Albion Terr. but I can imagine the petitions starting already.:angry:

Both should be dropped ASAP.

20 hours ago, Southfork said:

That’s an anecdote not a fact. 

Bullshit! Jersey's fibre optic claim is also bullshit. The cables are there, but only a fraction can be used. The topography of Jersey means, like here, mobile coverage is patchy. Next time you are there, go down in Queens Vally and try and use your phone. Alternatively, try Plemont, Noirmont, even the outskirts of St. Helier is pretty bad.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I also suggested exactly the same thing to a couple of politicians, it got a reasonable reception but the cost issue was thrown up, c.£1.5m. I was thinking of it being run by a charity on behalf of several other charities which need to provide accommodation. Apparently there are 95 rooms in there, knocking them together to give en-suite facilities would still give almost 50 rooms. It can have a dining room and offices, meeting rooms and be a credit to our society. 

Apart from anything that building is a piece of classic 1950 architecture.   

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Bullshit! Jersey's fibre optic claim is also bullshit. The cables are there, but only a fraction can be used. The topography of Jersey means, like here, mobile coverage is patchy. Next time you are there, go down in Queens Vally and try and use your phone. Alternatively, try Plemont, Noirmont, even the outskirts of St. Helier is pretty bad.

That’s funny Pongo claimed almost the same thing last night. Are you related?

It doesn’t seem to reflect in the surveys though does it? Jersey No3, IOM No 63

5 minutes ago, Southfork said:

That’s funny Pongo claimed almost the same thing last night. Are you related?

Surveys are absolutely worthless. Never will change.

Just now, Scotty said:

Surveys are absolutely worthless. Never will change.

Well actually that’s not true because almost every broadband survey ever published points out that the broadband service in the IOM is crap, and in Jersey it’s getting on for world class. In this case IOM No63, Jersey No3

1 minute ago, Southfork said:

I see that you are still not making any effort to try to understand how meaningless that, so-called, 'survey' is. It fails all of the basic criteria in terms of providing useful like for like comparisons.

It's based on pointless comparisons.

7 minutes ago, Southfork said:

That’s funny Pongo claimed almost the same thing last night.

No I didn't. FWIW. The points I made and will continue to make are different.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

I see that you are still not making any effort to try to understand how meaningless that, so-called, 'survey' is. It fails all of the basic criteria in terms of providing useful like for like comparisons.

It's based on pointless comparisons.

No I didn't. FWIW. The points I made and will continue to make are different.

Oh yes sorry I shouldn’t take any notice to a legitimate survey published in the UK press. Or any other independent surveys that repeatedly say the same thing. What I should be taking as authorative is the anonymous internet proclamations of someone named after a cartoon Dalmatian. Ok, that makes sense, thanks. 

Just now, Southfork said:

Oh yes sorry I shouldn’t take any notice to a legitimate survey published in the UK press. Or any other independent surveys that repeatedly say the same thing. What I should be taking as authorative is the anonymous internet proclamations of someone named after a cartoon Dalmatian. Ok, that makes sense, thanks. 

If you were a technical person with any sort of analytical inclination you would take some time to look at the data on which that article is based - and you would look at the methodology used - and think about whether the conclusion you are drawing from the article could reasonably be measured or extrapolated from that data. You might even think about how or why the 'survery' was even published.

But you aren't.

• Like 1