Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

7 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

I'm backing Bill Shimmins for CM

He hasn't been a Minister either but I'm sure he's seen plenty of what goes on

I wouldn’t back him if he was the only donkey in the Derby.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, pongo said:

Why are you in such a big hurry to open the IOM border? It's given us a big advantage - especially in terms of getting people back to work. Relatively little trade here depends on visitors - and we can mostly do our business online.

It's not for selfish reasons is it - a holiday you don't want to cancel or something equally inconsequential? You can always go another year.

simply it's because he's a dick...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, pongo said:

Why are you in such a big hurry to open the IOM border? It's given us a big advantage - especially in terms of getting people back to work. Relatively little trade here depends on visitors - and we can mostly do our business online.

It's not for selfish reasons is it - a holiday you don't want to cancel or something equally inconsequential? You can always go another year.

Not in a big hurry, open when U.K. Numbers right down and they do seem to be heading in right direction. The reason for us to visit immediate families in UK .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Golfer said:

The reason for us to visit immediate families in UK .

Skype them. You're not allowed to visit them or stay with them anyhow. And the hotels are closed. Even if you make it to the UK.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

I'd be astonished if Mr Harmer were re-elected

I agree he's useless . Something seriously needs to be done with DOI ! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I agree he's useless . Something seriously needs to be done with DOI ! 

Completely disbanded and reborn from the ashes.

18 minutes ago, pongo said:

Skype them. You're not allowed to visit them or stay with them anyhow. And the hotels are closed. Even if you make it to the UK.

The hotels aren't open yet but by July they will and would expect family visiting also. All shops in U.K. Opening 15/06 plus schools, hotels & pubs probably 4/07.

Shimmins is an idiot I don’t think he has a chance of being re elected, I know we say this every election but we want new blood and people who understand what is required of them, we need less and then we could afford to pay them more, to a lot of people, myself included, what they get is a small fortune but if you compare it to private sector or even senior civil servants it is not great especially as it is not secure and the aggravation they have to put up with it is not a dream job.

23 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Shimmins is an idiot I don’t think he has a chance of being re elected,

He’s no fool I used to do some work for him years ago. I believe he polled higher in Middle than Quayle did last time round so he clearly has a relatively loyal base. He was the one who put the pressure on to get people repatriated too so he clearly knows what the main issues are that are affecting people here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Shimmins is an idiot I don’t think he has a chance of being re elected, I know we say this every election but we want new blood and people who understand what is required of them, we need less and then we could afford to pay them more, to a lot of people, myself included, what they get is a small fortune but if you compare it to private sector or even senior civil servants it is not great especially as it is not secure and the aggravation they have to put up with it is not a dream job.

Other than yourself, he hasn’t upset that many people, and given that Howie is retiring I cannot see the good people of middle electing two unknowns. In fact it would not surprise if we see him promoted to Alf’s current job, if Alf becomes CM.

31 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Only an idiot would think Bill Shimmins is an idiot.

He will get in comfortably in 2021 if he stands again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Only an idiot would think Bill Shimmins is an idiot.

He will get in comfortably in 2021 if he stands again.

But why should he ? What has he actually done ?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Golfer said:

The hotels aren't open yet but by July they will and would expect family visiting also. All shops in U.K. Opening 15/06 plus schools, hotels & pubs probably 4/07.

And I reckon second peak in UK around September

11 minutes ago, Manx Expat said:

He’s no fool I used to do some work for him years ago. I believe he polled higher in Middle than Quayle did last time round so he clearly has a relatively loyal base. He was the one who put the pressure on to get people repatriated too so he clearly knows what the main issues are that are affecting people here. 

Middle; 2 returns
Party Candidate Votes
Count Of total (%)
  Independent William Cato Shimmins 1,357 33.5
  Independent Robert Howard Quayle 1,205 29.8
  Independent Paul Herbert Craine 1,090 26.9
  Independent William Edward Bowers 394 9.7

From Wiki

I always got the feeling that Howie stood in order to qualify for the resettlement grant, and was surprised as many of us when he was re-elected:

The Members of Tynwald (Resettlement Grant) Scheme 2018 (2018-SD-0041) provides that if a Member under 60 years of age who has served at least two years is unsuccessful in seeking re-election to either the Keys or the Council, he or she will be paid the equivalent of six months’ basic salary. If a person receives this grant but is elected to either Branch within six months, or is in receipt of a pension provided under the Isle of Man Government Unified Scheme 2011, a proportion of the money must be repaid.

Source