Coronavirus Isle of Man

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

The Gov want people to do some surveys for them

Isle of Man Government has launched two surveys to better understand the impacts of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic on businesses and individuals in the Isle of Man.

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/cabinet-office/economic-affairs-division/coronavirus-economic-impact-surveys/

13 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

If you take a good pinch of snuff and then sneeze at a white wall you can get some quite impressive effects from a decent distance.

Back in the day there used to be a big guy called Herman the German Eckardt who used to go to Bushy's and the tent during TT week, year in year out. His party piece was giving people snuff and he would take the same amount too. They'd sniff it together and everyone would watch joyfully as his victim coughed and spluttered and sneezed for the next few minutes. He was used to it of course and he just had a smile on his face, unaffected.

Anyway he tried it on some Yorkshire miners, without knowing they were used to snuff from down t'pit. They made him take a really huge amount with them, and on sniffing they had Herman Eckardt coughing and crying like a big baby. Them just "ee, lad, 'as tha' tuk tu much?"

Bit off topic that, ah anyway, it's nearly TT Week

Edited by gettafa
Correct name Eckardt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
11 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Nicotine kills coronavirus, according to french research probably funded by the tobacco industry.

I keep this one to myself, but over the last couple of months, whenever I get a bit of a cough I straight away gargle with whisky. Just a little. It doesn't take much. It does the trick and as far as I know I haven't gone down with the virus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Do you really believe that?

The data tells you hardly anyone has it.  Also, why would you be sat there inhaling someone's fake fags?

That's exactly what I think whenever I go to Quids Inn.

edited to add: I think Quids, eventually banned the dirty, selfish, nasty. disgusting, foul e-cigarettes from their pub.

11 hours ago, Josem said:

Henrietta Ewart, the Director of Public Health, said last week that we're 18 months away from a vaccine here in the Isle of Man. It is not credible to keep the borders restricted under the current rules until the 2021 festive season.

People are going to demand to be able to visit people in the UK and abroad before then.

There isn't a vaccine for MERS or SARS, so I don't hold out much hope for a COVID-19 vaccine either.

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Back in the day there used to be a big guy called Herman the German who used to go to Bushy's and the tent during TT week, year in year out...

I think you mean Eckardt. Antiques dealer - nice guy married to a lovely woman.

"Hallo...lovely lady!!!" ...was his call as he got ladies to try his snuff - or his bottled concoction of schnapps etc.

Heard he had not been so well last couple of years - hope we get to see him back next year. His snuff was brilliant - could really blow your head off.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Do you think it’s entirely possible that the government will “invent” a new case today just to keep people on their toes?  As I am sure they will be getting nervous that it’s been 6 days since a new case and only 4 in the community.  It will lead to people to say no need to do anything if it continues this way

Well they didn't.

That's a whole week now.

WE'RE SAVED!