Coronavirus Isle of Man

On The Bus

33 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

The Police also are carrying out welfare checks for the Returning Repatriates as we had a couple of visits last week, our daughter in law and grandchild have had the pleasure of 3 visits which are causing some concern as she will not answer the door and only replies through the window.

Welfare, or a doorstep appearance condition?

1 minute ago, Beelzebub3 said:

I had no qualms about getting a visit in fact I expected it,  they are only doing there job,  although I was not aware that the Constabulary were trained up on welfare needs, I thought that would have been down to the DHSC.

It’s a door step condition not a welfare visit, and they’re just being nice touchy feely cuddly, rather than gruff and threatening.

Lots of policing today, of the criminal variety,  is picking up the pieces and dealing with people who have fallen through the DHSC cracks (chasms?). It’s why they have embedded mental health professionals.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

It’s a door step condition not a welfare visit, and they’re just being nice touchy feely cuddly, rather than gruff and threatening.

Lots of policing today, of the criminal variety,  is picking up the pieces and dealing with people who have fallen through the DHSC cracks (chasms?). It’s why they have embedded mental health professionals.

They stated that they were carrying out a welfare check and they had a list of names on each sheet of paper which were highlighted, if it was a doorstep condition this was not stated, anyway we are now free to do as we please as our self isolation has been completed and we have not had any symptoms or any other problems.

10 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

They stated that they were carrying out a welfare check and they had a list of names on each sheet of paper which were highlighted, if it was a doorstep condition this was not stated, anyway we are now free to do as we please as our self isolation has been completed and we have not had any symptoms or any other problems.

Didn’t you sign up to answering your door to the police at random times when you agreed to self isolate at a specified address?

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Didn’t you sign up to answering your door to the police at random times when you agreed to self isolate at a specified address?

The only paperwork we signed was that we would self isolate as required by the DHSC no mention of randoms Police visits, mind you they had trouble finding our house and went to the wrong address, I knew the guys who called, as I worked closely with them for a number of years. They were very polite and certainly were not threatening and simply stated they were carrying out a welfare check and did we require any assistance which I duly thanked them for looking after our wellbeing.

Just now, Beelzebub3 said:

The only paperwork we signed was that we would self isolate as required by the DHSC no mention of randoms Police visits, mind you they had trouble finding our house and went to the wrong address, I knew the guys who called, as I worked closely with them for a number of years. They were very polite and certainly were not threatening and simply stated they were carrying out a welfare check and did we require any assistance which I duly thanked them for looking after our wellbeing.

The regulations make it clear that you have to be at home, and answer the door when police call. Not to do so is a criminal offence. I’m surprised you didn’t have to sign that you agreed/understood.

They're being polite, which is good. But it’s a doorstep visit, check, wether they call it a welfare visit, or not. After all the regulations/T&C put the onus of getting food and medicine delivered during isolation on return to Island on you. Perhaps it’s on the application form?

4 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

The Police also are carrying out welfare checks for the Returning Repatriates as we had a couple of visits last week, our daughter in law and grandchild have had the pleasure of 3 visits which are causing some concern as she will not answer the door and only replies through the window.

Complete overkill and to some extent treating people as not being capable of self isolation and at worse setting out with an intention to trap the likes of your daughter as to not responding, so they can ramp up action. I think that certain sections of the Police and Home Affairs are trying to justify their existence. 

Beelzebub I’m sure your daughter in law and grandchild are throughly fed up with constant visits, I would be. If the Police And COMIN so throughly distrust the returning population, why not use modern technology and electronic tagging? 

The Dogs Bollocks - 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/police-advice-against-motorbike-rides-around-tt-course/

Note the words ‘number of groups’. I don’t believe there were a number of groups planning ride outs anyway. One group possibly. If IOMG and Police so concerned as suggested, they could possibly seek injunctions against all the supposed motorcycle groups on the island? There again have the police any evidence or have they been intercepting telephone communications?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Complete overkill and to some extent treating people as not being capable of self isolation and at worse setting out with an intention to trap the likes of your daughter as to not responding, so they can ramp up action. I think that certain sections of the Police and Home Affairs are trying to justify their existence. 

Beelzebub I’m sure your daughter in law and grandchild are throughly fed up with constant visits, I would be. If the Police And COMIN so throughly distrust the returning population, why not use modern technology and electronic tagging? 

The Dogs Bollocks - 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/police-advice-against-motorbike-rides-around-tt-course/

Note the words ‘number of groups’. I don’t believe there were a number of groups planning ride outs anyway. One group possibly. If IOMG and Police so concerned as suggested, they could possibly seek injunctions against all the supposed motorcycle groups on the island? There again have the police any evidence or have they been intercepting telephone communications?

They looked on Facebook you melon!

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, 2112 said:

[...] If the Police And COMIN so throughly distrust the returning population, why not use modern technology and electronic tagging? 

Complete overkill was the Comis Colditz set-up, this seems a sensible alternative that should have been done from the start for anyone coming from the UK or further afield[1], as many other countries did for returning residents.  Like it or not, a small minority of people will not self-isolate properly and the only way to check that they are is to do these 'doorstep' checks for the 14 days they are supposed to self-isolate.  It's still a lot less onerous than being stuck in a hotel room.

But these are also people who may be hit by a serious illness and the checks do also have the purpose of making sure that people are OK and seeing if they need any extra help - which the police can presumably refer them to.  If they get no answer, it may well be that the person is out illegally, but they could also be too ill to respond and you would hope the police would intervene.

As for 'modern technology', are you suggesting that the solution for a temporary problem that can be dealt with using an existing (and currently not very busy) human resource, should be something that involves lots of new equipment, extra staff and unreliable technology?  Are you sure you don't work for the DoI?

[1]  These people weren't just inconvenienced and seriously out of pocket because of the Comis fiasco, but also by being stuck in the UK or further afield for weeks while the Government dithered about what to do until finally deciding to do something that was very expensive for the taxpayers and then abandoned as soon as they could.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

The problem is that amongst the vast majority who will obey the requirements without being checked up on there may be some who won't. So what do you do? Not check up and let those people potentially spread Covid 19 around the IoM or check up and get accused of being heavy handed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

The Dogs Bollocks - 

You're talking rubbish.  Stop digging.

You have such a bitter and twisted view of things it just ends up as nonsense.  

Complete overkill? Explain how that is?  The government in one form or another do need to check up on returnees self isolating.  That is completely logical and sensible. 

33 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

You're talking rubbish.  Stop digging.

You have such a bitter and twisted view of things it just ends up as nonsense.  

Complete overkill? Explain how that is?  The government in one form or another do need to check up on returnees self isolating.  That is completely logical and sensible. 

It’s antagonised people. They have put all these resources into checking that ‘repatriated’ people do not leave their homes, taking them for complete idiots. Most of the newly repatriated people will quite happily obey the law, and quite frankly don’t need to be checked on, as if they living in a POW Camp. It’s the people who are in and out of the courts who are causing the problems, not the repatriated few. There are many drug packages coming through the post at present, perhaps law and order needs to be stepped up. 

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It’s antagonised people. They have put all these resources into checking that ‘repatriated’ people do not leave their homes, taking them for complete idiots. Most of the newly repatriated people will quite happily obey the law, and quite frankly don’t need to be checked on, as if they living in a POW Camp. It’s the people who are in and out of the courts who are causing the problems, not the repatriated few. There are many drug packages coming through the post at present, perhaps law and order needs to be stepped up. 

That simply makes no sense whatsoever.

The Police are not putting ALL their resources into anything.  That is simply wrong.

There has to be checks carried out. It isnt rocket science.  By your logic we don't actually need any laws at all then because the vast majority of people don't break them?

How do you know there are "many drug packages coming through the post"?

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

The problem is that amongst the vast majority who will obey the requirements without being checked up on there may be some who won't. So what do you do? Not check up and let those people potentially spread Covid 19 around the IoM or check up and get accused of being heavy handed.

There has been much widely discussed comments on here that workers imported by the DOI that are  classed as key workers - there it’s like Russian Roulette as to who or may not have the virus. Perhaps the population should be tested, working through towns and villages?