Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

18 minutes ago, Golfer said:

No doubt there will be several posting soon that this is too soon, we'll all get virus etc etc!

It’s the ones posting the big graphics on the local Facebook Groups about the announcements being delayed that I currently find annoying. I don’t even know anyone who gives a shit enough to waste time tuning in to what “Ashy” or anyone else has to say. It’s getting like the Pathe News in wartime. Let’s all tune in like obedient citizens for our little piece of propaganda and then all go off on Facebook and scare other people for a few hours shitting our pants like frightened idiots about how everyone is going to die. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

It’s the ones posting the big graphics on the local Facebook Groups about the announcements being delayed that I currently find annoying. I don’t even know anyone who gives a shit enough to waste time tuning in to what “Ashy” or anyone else has to say. It’s getting like the Pathe News in wartime. Let’s all tune in like obedient citizens for our little piece of propaganda and then all go off on Facebook and scare other people for a few hours shitting our pants like frightened idiots about how everyone is going to die. 

Haven't seen any of the scary graphics, personally I find some if the updates very useful like today's giving details of the antibody testing , further easing of restrictions etc.

3 minutes ago, Golfer said:

Haven't seen any of the scary graphics, personally I find some if the updates very useful like today's giving details of the antibody testing , further easing of restrictions etc.

As someone who has an extremely vulnerable categorisation I’ve always been aware the isolation was advisory. I’ve very occasionally driven to hospital, the post box, collected a takeaway. It’s always been about some degree of self assessing risk. Taking appropriate precautions.

Now that is reinforced.

We can only come out of this step by step. So that if new cases are diagnosed we can identify from where. 

Have something’s been too strict? Yes, Repatriation and Comis. They’ve gone the next step today. You can go into your home on return even if there are others there, but they have to isolate. I don’t understand why arrivals can’t be tested getting off the boat and again 7 days later?

Lots of the new lifting of restrictions seem eminently reasonable. Problem is we have lots of frightened people who think we can stay locked down for ever, or at least until a vaccine. Being scared for your life, or the lives of family members, is natural. But we have to move on.

Just like we will have to move on borders, sooner rather than later.

I think today’s briefing showed the start of realism about de-escalating. I think on the whole CoMin has been realistic about imposing lock down, and tweaking it. May not have been 100% right 100% of the time. But very few national governments have.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On the whole the government have been good, and the direction of travel and the stated and otherwise intimated lifting of restrictions are to be welcomed. I fall into the lets lift them all now camp, rather than wait for two weeks. We have enough capacity and track/trace processes in place to get it done, but hey what’s another two weeks. Happy enough :cool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Praise where praise is due yes we moan they haven’t done everything we want as quickly as we want but they do listen and make sensible decisions as we go.y  If I was living in England I would be looking on at us and thinking how did England get it soo wrong 

Totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Bozo Johnson allegedly "in charge" - that's how!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Bozo Johnson allegedly "in charge" - that's how!

Don't forget the incredible 4 man tag team of might he left in charge when he got the 'rona.

That's right, the country was in the hands of Raab, Sunak, Hancock and Gove, for a month, at the height of a pandemic. 

No wonder it's fucked.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, P.K. said:

U.K. Numbers are at the lowest since start of pandemic and the rolling 7 day averages also show steady downward trends so it is slowly getting better in U.K.. another month of this downward trends and U.K. will be similar to most of Europe and easing of borders could be considered.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Golfer said:

U.K. Numbers are at the lowest since start of pandemic and the rolling 7 day averages also show steady downward trends so it is slowly getting better in U.K.. another month of this downward trends and U.K. will be similar to most of Europe and easing of borders could be considered.

I think they're about the same as when they started the lockdown. And how many of the deaths that have occurred could have been avoided by a competent government?

2 minutes ago, Golfer said:

Another apologist right whinger. Plenty on here mind...

Bozo wanted to go down in the history books as the excuse for a man who got the totally stupid and completely unnecessary brexit "Done!"

Instead he's going to go down in the history books as the completely out of his depth clown who racked up the most Covid-19 fatalities in Europe due to a complete lack of preparedness and an inability to take it seriously enough coupled with a complete and utter lack of leadership qualities when they were most needed.

I hope he rots in hell...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Another apologist right whinger. Plenty on here mind...

Bozo wanted to go down in the history books as the excuse for a man who got the totally stupid and completely unnecessary brexit "Done!"

Instead he's going to go down in the history books as the completely out of his depth clown who racked up the most Covid-19 fatalities in Europe due to a complete lack of preparedness and an inability to take it seriously enough coupled with a complete and utter lack of leadership qualities when they were most needed.

I hope he rots in hell...

In March of this year you personally had the choice of sitting out Covid in at least (at least) any one of 29 countries. EU 27, Plus UK, plus IOM.

You put on a mask, gathered family, got on a plane, left IOM and chose, along with your family, to join the rest of your offspring to sit out Covid in the UK of which Boris was already PM.

You chose the UK. You chose UK NHS. You chose Boris's Government. You chose their rules. You made your bed, nobody else.

You made a free choice to live under Boris, the person that you consider to be a "Totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar"  he did not summon you! You ran to him in full knowledge of what you thought he was.

You were prepared to take full advantage of the UK, The UK NHS, and everything else it offers despite your belief that it was run so abysmally by a "Totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar" .

For the Covid period at least, you chose Boris as your Prime Minister - He did not choose you. Your bed, you lie in it.

Lest we forget.

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Don't forget the incredible 4 man tag team of might he left in charge when he got the 'rona.

That's right, the country was in the hands of Raab, Sunak, Hancock and Gove, for a month, at the height of a pandemic. 

No wonder it's fucked.

Sunak seems pretty bright.

ETA: TBH I don't mind the other 3 either. But I realise that I'm on the fringes.

Edited by pongo

10 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

In March of this year you personally had the choice of sitting out Covid in at least (at least) any one of 29 countries. EU 27, Plus UK, plus IOM.

You put on a mask, gathered family, got on a plane, left IOM and chose, along with your family, to join the rest of your offspring to sit out Covid in the UK of which Boris was already PM.

You chose the UK. You chose UK NHS. You chose Boris's Government. You chose their rules. You made your bed, nobody else.

Lest we forget.

That's a bit silly, just as a post claiming that, by staying on the Island, you made a decision to 'abandon' the residents of your care home in the UK would be.  People have to make choices based on a whole pile of conflicting family and other interests and come to a decision based on the best possible balance of them.  PK no doubt did this just as you did aware of the possible downsides of the decision.  Unless you are alleging that PK personally voted or worked to put Johnson and his cronies into power (which I rather doubt) he is perfectly entitled to criticise their actions without any guilt (and criticise them with guilt even if he did).

Incidentally most EU countries were much quicker in closing borders (sometimes internally as well) to non-residents, and many then effectively made non-residents leave.  So really on IOM and UK would have been options - and fairly limited where even with those.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's a bit silly, just as a post claiming that, by staying on the Island, you made a decision to 'abandon' the residents of your care home in the UK would be.  People have to make choices based on a whole pile of conflicting family and other interests and come to a decision based on the best possible balance of them.  PK no doubt did this just as you did aware of the possible downsides of the decision.  Unless you are alleging that PK personally voted or worked to put Johnson and his cronies into power (which I rather doubt) he is perfectly entitled to criticise their actions without any guilt (and criticise them with guilt even if he did).

Incidentally most EU countries were much quicker in closing borders (sometimes internally as well) to non-residents, and many then effectively made non-residents leave.  So really on IOM and UK would have been options - and fairly limited where even with those.

Agreed.

Make choices. Stand by them. It's not silly, its called taking responsibility. (Right or wrong, we are all human, even Boris).

But if P.K. is so right, he can move back to IOM today - will he? Or will he continue to criticise the teat that feeds him?

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus
  • Like 1

PK deserves a bit of a ribbing for his desperate run away to the bosom of Boris, but maybe he was acting on his fatherly instincts...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

PK deserves a bit of a ribbing for his desperate run away to the bosom of Boris, but maybe he was acting on his fatherly instincts...

Agreed. Outright condemnation is a little too much. He may be a rogue, but he's a likeable rogue.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1