Coronavirus Isle of Man

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

21 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I’ve advocated this since around 2008 for TT. Turn the Mountain into a toll road and treat it for what it actually is - a fairground ride. Charge for it, and run it exactly the same way as the Ring.

Hard to believe a policeman thought that while serving. Or even now.:o

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Nope - there hasn’t been a strategy and that has been the problem. It has been pretty much as you describe - a piss in the wind approach.

Only on the Isle of Man would you spend hundreds of thousands re-profiling Windy and Brandish, where a grands worth of road signs and a 40 limit would have solved both. 

We now have a strategy. What we don’t have it appears is a Road Safety Department which is actually delivering on it.

Well pissing into the wind still counts as a strategy - just not a very good one.  Though as they seem to have managed to make sure that everyone except themselves gets wet, they don't seem to be worried about that. 

Of course it is all part of the underlying DoI (and predecessors) strategy of keeping themselves in well paid and unnecessary jobs, so whatever results in the largest amount of money being spent is the aim in itself.  Any other other outcomes don't really matter.  So expensive reconstruction will always be preferred to cheaper solutions. 

• Like 1

I would imagine there'll be a fair Police presence up there in anticipation for the next 2 or so weeks.

I would imagine that there will be more frustration with the 60 limit?

Pretty much everyone did 40, so there wasn't any hold up, you just had cruise along. With 60, there will be more slower drivers to contend with.

What the hell is that 3 mile wide 'Bus Lane' on glen clutch!!!

Edited by Kopek
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I would imagine there'll be a fair Police presence up there in anticipation for the next 2 or so weeks.

Back to normal then!:P

On 6/13/2020 at 12:08 PM, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

You were the one that started quoting peoples driving then how many people die.  When in reality neither you nor I can actually remember the last car fatality on the Mountain Road.  They've been bike fatalities. 

The problem you perceive exists actually doesn't. 

The last 2 that I can remember (not on mountain, just fatal) involved 4 older people in Laxey (30 limit), 2 teens in Santon (50 limit).

If national speeds limits exist, vehicles should be limited to those speeds by inhibitors, no car should even be capable of going over the limit.

Until that happens, it seems like pointless revenue gathering. We all see boy racers daily dashing through residential 20 limits at 40+, which is far worse than them doing 80 in wild quiet uninhabited areas.

Sort the existing problems before making changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

4:45 apparently. Rolled car between Brandywell and Creg ffs

FFS it hardly plays into the hands of people wanting limits removed does it. A few hours and some clown rolls it after months of no accidents.