Coronavirus Isle of Man

2 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

FFS it hardly plays into the hands of people wanting limits removed does it. A few hours and some clown rolls it after months of no accidents. 

Always going to happen.  Just like you can guarantee that once the pubs open fully there will be people drinking to excess and getting into trouble.

When people are stopped doing things then it builds up and creates a reaction. I probably go out and get pissed every 3 to 4 weeks.  But TELL me I can't do it for 12 weeks and suddenly if feels something I'm being cheated out of!

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Always going to happen.  Just like you can guarantee that once the pubs open fully there will be people drinking to excess and getting into trouble.

But we all know how the police will be using events like this to prove that they were right and that limits should stay in place. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mr Newbie said:

But we all know how the police will be using events like this to prove that they were right and that limits should stay in place. 

The main contributor to a lack of accidents up the mountain hasn't been the speed limit.  It is much more to do with the forbidding of overtaking.   Most people won't overtake for fear of some busybodies reporting them. 

An accident happening at 4.45 a.m is happening regardless of speed limits.

42 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

The main contributor to a lack of accidents up the mountain hasn't been the speed limit.  It is much more to do with the forbidding of overtaking.   Most people won't overtake for fear of some busybodies reporting them. 

An accident happening at 4.45 a.m is happening regardless of speed limits.

It’s never been illegal to overtake on the mountain as long as you don’t exceed the speed limit. Don’t believe the signs. They’re bullshit. 

Edited by The Old Git
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That wasn't my point but feel free to conveniently ignore it to suit your tiresome agenda.

But it is very hard to roll a car at 40 mph as I’m sure most people would agree. So it will be interesting to see if the police immediately blame speed in this case. Either way a major crash after a few hours is hardly helping set the case for removing the speed limits on the mountain or anywhere else is it

Edited by Mr Newbie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

FFS it hardly plays into the hands of people wanting limits removed does it. A few hours and some clown rolls it after months of no accidents. 

St marks road was closed yesterday due to an RTC, with emergency services on scene.

There is a good point being played out here, and it reinforces the temporary use of the 40mph speed limit etc. I support the Police and the Isle of Man Government in what they did and are doing.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2
34 minutes ago, Barlow said:

There is a good point being played out here, and it reinforces the temporary use of the 40mph speed limit etc. I support the Police and the Isle of Man Government in what they did and are doing.

That’s sort of my point. I don’t actually support the national speed limit that has been brought in here by stealth over the Covid period but the more idiots who bail it on the Mountain like this the better argument the police have for sticking to the 60 max and that’s it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

the more idiots who bail it on the Mountain like this the better argument the police have for sticking to the 60 max and that’s it. 

It's not their decision though. Nor should they even be voicing an opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is their decision though. Not many Tynwald members would go against the advice of the police (I take it speed limits are all wrapped up in secondary legislation).

But it does remind me once again of the little shit (he'll probably be a grandad now) who crashed going down Richmond Hill when it was unrestricted. His excuse was 'I wasn't going too fast, as it is no limit down there'.

A few days after the court case it was 50mph limit.

13 hours ago, Mr Newbie said:

That’s sort of my point. I don’t actually support the national speed limit that has been brought in here by stealth over the Covid period but the more idiots who bail it on the Mountain like this the better argument the police have for sticking to the 60 max and that’s it. 

But these accidents have happened in the period of that limit. I think people get a bit complacent and lazy when there is a low limit, they then don't concentrate on their driving leading to collisions. The accident at the 32nd sounds like such a case, I imagine they have either run off the edge of the road or maybe clipped the hedge through lack of concentration?