Coronavirus Isle of Man

On The Bus

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

Why do the Manx government chose to be reactive rather than proactive? Why are they waiting for evidence of human to human transmission when it has already been shown to happen all over the world? 

I asked that question at the beginning of the week. It seems mad that the population themselves are taking avoidant action before being told to because they have seen what has happened elsewhere and it’s a valid question as to why our government haven’t taken action sooner  

The government seem to be continuing with their unhealthy (IMO) obsession with ‘the economy’ and being part of a fast growing economy on the world stage. I can’t help but wonder if this is what is driving them to take their time over issuing directives to keep us safe.

After being told for years that the elderly are a drain on resources and finances, never mind the generous government  pension packages they are picking up and with our government as yet having no solution to ‘filling the black holes it’s been suggested by some that dragging their feet a little may help to solve the problem ‘organically’.

I can’t believe that would actually happen but many do  

6 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

I would suggest, as a negative outcome of the Covid19 Coronavirus, that the following will occur, notwithstanding the negative economic impact and fatalities directly attributed to the virus itself:

1. Massive increase in domestic abuse

2. Massive increase in mental illness

3. Massive increase in suicides

4. Massive increase in personal debt

5. Massive increase in home and car repossessions 

6. Massive increase in homelessness

7. Massive restriction of freedom of movement for individuals for a long time

8. Significant increase in serious illnesses and deaths due to unavailability of health services

Anyone got any more?

Less smack on the streets, lots of cold turkeys. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

Positive outcomes 

1. People will re-evaluate their lives

2. Massive reduction in pollution 

3. Less people on the planet (although this might be negated due to the amount of shagging that will be going on)

4. People will shop more locally

5. New inventions will come thick and fast

6. People might be more kind to one another

7. Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates will be even wealthier

8. Robots will be more widely used

Anyone got any more?

More jobs available initially to patch up what hasn't been getting done during the pandemic.

Except in the Manx CS where nothing short of nuclear extinction would lead to any cutbacks so we'll still have at least the same numbers as before.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Kopek said:

As it is to Ramseyites apparently!!!

Many people in Bars and Cafes down North?

!

Must be saying their farewells and having a last blowout then.

For the past 5 years, most of the pubs in Ramsey have resembled the shutdown that everywhere else is now engaging in.

• Haha 1

For those still interested in what happened in 1919 I've put an initial page together -
http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/history/intrn_ww1/flu_1919.htm

As I'm stuck in the UK by circumstances beyond my control and being in one of the high risk groups I hope to have plenty of time for research

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Frances said:

For those still interested in what happened in 1919 I've put an initial page together -
http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/history/intrn_ww1/flu_1919.htm

As I'm stuck in the UK by circumstances beyond my control and being in one of the high risk groups I hope to have plenty of time for research

Wonderful stuff Frances, your site really is full of great information

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

No they are an outlier. There is no other country on the planet that is having the issues Italy is having, they are even outstripping China. What is happening there, even though the timelines are not too dissimilar to other countries, deserves an investigation of it's own.  

But the media has been very sparing with the exact details of how it all started in Italy. Might be reassuring to others if it was known. After all stress and anxiety are not good for the immune system, and a little more clarification might serve to reduce both stress and anxiety. 

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Supermarkets are hustle and bustle of panic and otherwise buying. How do stop that, ten customers at a time and no more?

3 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Shoprite have issued a notice that bulk buying won't be permitted

Think Tesco have made similar statements

You should not be able to buy bog rolls unless you bring the empties back

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yootalkin2me said:

I would suggest, as a negative outcome of the Covid19 Coronavirus, that the following will occur, notwithstanding the negative economic impact and fatalities directly attributed to the virus itself:

1. Massive increase in domestic abuse

2. Massive increase in mental illness

3. Massive increase in suicides

4. Massive increase in personal debt

5. Massive increase in home and car repossessions 

6. Massive increase in homelessness

Anyone got any more?

All part and parcel of being part of your family I would imagine...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gettafa said:

Oh, ok, so this was a good news story all the time.

The chap never got arrested.

For something he didn't do.

Well , I know a guy who for certain is breaking the 14 day rule , I reported him to the police and guess what ?

He is still out and about today . 

I gave them his address etc . 

• Like 1