Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

3 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Did no-one wash their hands before this virus turned up?

I didn't usually - Only when they're dirty. 

• Haha 1

How many people never even wash their hands after they've been to the toilet?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chinahand said:

needs to be listened to.  

Just quoting this in case people missed it in this fast moving thread

2 minutes ago, ecobob said:

My last words to LL and his like are, that despite my exasperation, I truly hope you don’t come to eat your words in the months to come. If I have to eat mine, no sweat, for a few months of discomfort I’ve kept myself as safe as I can. If you have to eat your’s you could lose just about all that is dear to you, and a whole lot more  

I truly hope the virus does not cause the disease to spread to badly in the IoM and I remain hopeful that it is reasonably under control at present and that if stronger actions are required such as closing all schools, shops pubs restaurants etc with immediate effect then the IoM can quickly get back under control and that with those who are at risk already self isolating that they are not badly effected. I would have expected that from tracing and from the knowledge of who has been tested that Government have had, even before any results came through, a reasonable model of how it is spreading in the IoM and if this was modelling that it was in the community they would have taken stronger steps immediately

Based on what the Government has said to date and the action they have taken I do not believe that it is spreading rapidly through the community.  Ok maybe I should not believe what Government state and act as if it was but this disease is not going away and it is going to be unpleasant for all of us for a considerable period, and that would be the case even if the IoM never had any cases.

I believe that I understand the risks and to date have tried to moderate my actions based on those risk. I appreciate that many believe I have not gone far enough and that my actions my harmfully impact others. I apologise for that as I truly do not wish to harm others. I just take the view that at present the risk of that is very low and others take the view that I should ensure it is nil.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

How many people never even wash their hands after they've been to the toilet?

Whilst it might stop you spreading anything on your hands I doubt it does much for that persons own health risk considering that people seem to be very happy to engage in oral sex

5 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Based on what the Government has said to date and the action they have taken I do not believe that it is spreading rapidly through the community.

The number of cases has already more than doubled. Now 5. That will double again and again. Because precautions are too late, not being enforced and not being observed.

Personally, with what's being faced, I wouldn't rely on IoMG's judgement too much.

• Like 3

Mixed messages, Pubs and restaurants can stay open but don't go to them. What on earth was that meant to mean? 

• Like 2

Just now, Max Power said:

Mixed messages, Pubs and restaurants can stay open but don't go to them. What on earth was that meant to mean? 

No Compensation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

If you walk through goosegrass/cleavers, you will pick up leaves and seeds all over your clothing.

If you get close enough to any virus, it will cling to you.

When you then pass by close to something/someone else, it will pass across.

This is how such things spread.

This is why we are asked to isolate/distance, and why handwashing is so important.

It's not rocket science.

Speaking of handwashing, why are the supermarket shelves of liquid soap now empty? Did no-one wash their hands before this virus turned up?

That's how the Devil moved around in the movie "End of Days", Arnie was ace in that movie, and Gabriel Byrne played a very good Be'elzeebub.

It's wrong IMHO - it allows folks desperate to trade to actually do so

It has to be stopped and hospitality folk given some sort of basic income

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Whilst it might stop you spreading anything on your hands I doubt it does much for that persons own health risk considering that people seem to be very happy to engage in oral sex

Ooo-offf! Curveball..!! 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, yootalkin2me said:

Positive outcomes 

1. People will re-evaluate their lives

2. Massive reduction in pollution 

3. Less people on the planet (although this might be negated due to the amount of shagging that will be going on)

Not sure I'd count many people dying (mostly old or immune compromised) as a positive outcome, a possible exception to that is when it gets to the prisons, plenty of murderers, rapists and pedo's the world could do without (hopefully anyone inside for having cannabis etc. would survive).

44 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

200.gif

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Frances said:

For those still interested in what happened in 1919 I've put an initial page together -
http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/history/intrn_ww1/flu_1919.htm

As I'm stuck in the UK by circumstances beyond my control and being in one of the high risk groups I hope to have plenty of time for research

Ah thankyou, that's exactly what I was looking for, some detail. It makes a bit more sense now, I was very confused how the intitial strain could imbed into the internment camp without some consequence  when the more serious strain arrived.

" Fortunately, in the Isle of Man, the Local Government Board are entrusted with much wider powers than the English Local Government Board, as in the Island there is authority to do almost anything that may be considered necessary. In Birmingham, where there were 3,000 deaths from influenza, the Medical Officer consider, the disease is so dangerous that one should be inclined to do anything to reduce the mortality. He advocates the closing of all day and Sunday-schools and public entertainments, and adds that they found that gatherings of people tended greatly to the spread of the disease.
The medical officers of Leeds, Salford, Newcastle-on-Tyne, Sunderland, and Bootle. where the disease also raged, all advise very strongly that all public gatherings of people should be prohibited."

By early February the peak had been passed and the death toll published - Isle of Man Examiner, Saturday, February 8th, 1919

"We are informed by the Government Office that the number of deaths as the result of influenza during the recent epidemic, now total 50, but it is hoped that the epidemic is now declining."

- Unless you have some updates to come with some scary numbers the Island still seems to have gotten away with it with very low numbers (it could of killed thousands considering how deadly it was elsewhere).