Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

3 hours ago, Lost Login said:

Maybe not in so many words but for a long time Governments where talking about herd immunity, the only problem being that you need 80%+ immunity for it to start being effective which they would reckon at least two years.

Moving forward how do people see this playing out for the IoM? We are a small Island so could in a matter of weeks kill the infection in the IoM by having a very heavy crackdown. That would effectively mean no Covid 19 in the IoM unless it is brought in from the outside.

We are a year or possibly 2 before everybody could be vaccinated against the disease so we could keep the IoM clear in that period by preventing travel onto the IoM or possibly converting a couple of the hotels into isolation units so that anybody who travels to the IoM has to be isolated in one of these places for 7 or 14 days on returning.

Is that acceptable position for the IoM to take going forward?

Looks like you are way out now that the infection has officially been caught within the community. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

He lost it a bit when he spoke of Fake News

That was definitely a bit of Trump coming out.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

That was definitely a bit of Trump coming out.

Silent but deadly, bit like Corona.

I mean, he actually has a point there. There's a hell of a lot of fake news out there stirring people into frenzies. He's got enough problems. 

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Ashford and Quayle both struggle with stuttering and are unable to read two sentences without doing so. Dr Allinson, Alf Cannan and Dr Ranson are better public speakers but Ashford and Quayle are getting better within time.

by the time they can make sense talking they will have been voted out.

20 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Cant really see how people can criticise any of those at the press conference tbh.  Glad I am not the one sat there with everything I say being judged, scrutinised and with people looking to try me up and find fault at a time when we should all be pulling together.

Presumably that is why you haven’t put yourself up to be chief minister

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, piebaps said:

as you were saying..................

Hands up and I will probably never say this again, Quayle impressed me today.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Manxberry said:

I mean, he actually has a point there. There's a hell of a lot of fake news out there stirring people into frenzies. He's got enough problems. 

He's got 99 but a bitch ain't one

• Like 1

Just now, Manxberry said:

It wasn’t fake news though was it, I saw two coaches with my own eyes at Ramsey park hotel the day before the 14 day self isolation came into play. They should have stopped this type of travel the week before, the warnings were already out there but they didn’t do anything. The ‘fake news’ came into play because the coaches were seen the day the isolation rule came into force but alas because they arrived before the cut off date it didn’t count and they were free to do as they wish.

• Like 1

Better now than not. Especially stopping non residents from coming here, I can guarantee plenty were thinking of it

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Cant really see how people can criticise any of those at the press conference tbh.  Glad I am not the one sat there with everything I say being judged, scrutinised and with people looking to try me up and find fault at a time when we should all be pulling together.

That’s like saying don’t criticise a journalist that can’t spell. Part of politics is public speaking, if you can’t string a sentence together either get someone better to do it for you or see a speech therapist. Most public speakers speak slowly and concisely, he’s trying to speak ‘fast and fluid’ and it isn’t working. His body language doesn’t say calm and controlled, it says stressed and harassed which for me personally doesn’t inspire confidence.

• Like 1

Fake news? 

Like putting out a press release that’s been picked up by the world’s press that a young man was arrested for breaking the self isolation law even though he arrived in the island two days before the law came into place?

That kind of fake news? 

Apart from that it was welcome news that they’re finally getting a grip on things. 

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Patient centred said:

Looks like you are way out now that the infection has officially been caught within the community. 

Not really the point still stands that we are a small Island so could in a matter of weeks kill the infection in the IoM by having a very heavy crackdown. We appear to be having that now and once we have no more cases, even if that is forcing everybody to self isolate for a period, that would effectively mean no Covid 19 in the IoM unless it is brought in from the outside.

The question remains what then? We are a year or possibly 2 before everybody could be vaccinated against the disease so we could theoretically keep the IoM clear in that period by preventing travel onto the IoM or possibly converting a couple of the hotels into isolation units so that anybody who travels to the IoM has to be isolated in one of these places for 7 or 14 days on returning.

Is that acceptable position for the IoM to take going forward?

My point was that as a small Island however far it has spread or nor we can take measures to stop it on the IoM. Having done that what do we do then until there is a vaccine? 

15 minutes ago, ecobob said:

Fake news? 

Like putting out a press release that’s been picked up by the world’s press that a young man was arrested for breaking the self isolation law even though he arrived in the island two days before the law came into place?

That kind of fake news? 

Apart from that it was welcome news that they’re finally getting a grip on things. 

Was he actually arrested? If so the press release was not incorrect. He may have been arrested and on further enquiries released.