Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Precautions Isle of Man

2 hours ago, Lagman said:

The community has been considerable changed since then.

Which the UK agreed to and when they needed a patsy (even though they have been consistantly ranked as the worse offenders) were more than happy for their politicians and media to sacrifice and financially weaken us , wouldn't bode well if we were entirely under their control would it based on previous examples.

Cause the problems, provide the "solutions"?

Then we wouldn't be able to close our borders down (if the coronavirus flares up in another wave or another virus shows up) like we just have done, we'd have to have permission from the UK.

The "powerhouse" that has spent years trying to free itself from the EU so they can have self determination again but we should give up all of ours? we should do the opposite?

Again we wouldn't be able to close our borders down like this time, we would have to be reliant upon being given permission to do so in these future crises.

We would lose any advantage we have now, to set our own rules and any benefit from doing so. so how many jobs would be lost by that alone? - e - gaming, what's left of the banking, finance, insurance, bio-med etc it would reduce any attraction to these businesses staying or starting up to about zero if we were under the same rules as the UK.

Those indigenous brethren have been reduced to less than half the population and will be reduced to less than a third of it in a short time unfortunately. Having that "fragile" independence is a big part of being Manx. The Cornish is an interesting example as a part of the UK had to just sit and watch as they have just had thousands of tourists  head down there putting their entire population at risk in the midst of a pandemic and couldn't do anything about it because they don't have a "fragile independence".

https://cornishstuff.com/2020/03/20/please-stay-away-come-again-another-day/

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/gallery/st-ives-bustling-visitors-coronavirus-3959375

https://www.thecanary.co/opinion/2020/03/21/please-dont-try-escaping-covid-19-in-cornwall-our-services-simply-cant-cope/

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/coronavirus-leads-ongoing-row-over-3970946

http://www.thepost.uk.com/article.cfm?id=114643&headline=Local authorities and MPs urge holidaymakers to avoid Cornwall during coronavirus crisis&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2020

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/local-news/tourists-urged-not-come-cornwall-3967846

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/21/cornwall-fears-influx-of-out-of-towners-coronavirus-will-overwhelm-nhs-services

Excellent analysis. Some really key points for consideration. 

The main thing is affordability. If we can rapidly re-establish the economy, fine. If not, we need a plan B

2 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

I've never encountered so many cyclists as I have in the last few days, hopefully tomorrow they'll be told to stay indoors.

why, we are allowed to go out for exercise

2 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Part of my job is delivering, more people at home has meant more parked cars (and badly parked obstacles) whilst I understand cyclists making the most of quiet roads, it makes driving a lot more challenging.

Should have learned to drive a lot better then...

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

That’s the typical “I’m alright, fuck everyone else” attitude that got us into this mess in the first place. Do you ever think perhaps the emergency services might get held up when there is cyclist after cyclist they have to overtake, how about delivery drivers delivering prescriptions or takeaway deliveries for those in isolation?

I overtook every single one with patience and courtesy, I really don’t think my comment warrants a ‘behave’, if people have been sent home from work it’s for a reason, not for a jolly.

feel free to exaggerate you fool

I also noticed loads of them on main arterial routes during rush hour this morning.

It wouldn't of inconvenienced them to wait till after nine!

9 minutes ago, finlo said:

I also noticed loads of them on main arterial routes during rush hour this morning.

It wouldn't of inconvenienced them to wait till after nine!

Maybe they've decided to commute to their (essential) job by cycle given the quieter roads, better weather and greater chance of infection on public transport.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Maybe they've decided to commute to their (essential) job by cycle given the quieter roads, better weather and greater chance of infection on public transport.

I'd be very surprised if a more than a handful commute from Douglas to the deep south let alone by bike!

26 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

I’m sorry to say that many of the cyclists are challenged. I’m sure they think dressing in Lycra gives them some king of force field around them. Some very courteous riders out too, I should add but it is the idiotic selfish ones that stand out.

So often you come up behind a cyclist and it takes a mile or two to pass, same for the six cars behind you. You get to a set of lights and the twat filters through to the front and the waiting game starts again. Selfish is the only word for them. The same goes for the go slower 50cc scooter wonder boys.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

And the cheque is in the post and I won’t c............

27 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Wow, I take it you're just one of many who decided today was an extra public holiday? Selfish to the extreme and probably the very same people who stock piled at the very start.

20 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Wonder if Ray Harmer is one of them...?

24 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Most of the ones I overtook today were wearing team sport lycra, it’s not impossible that they have changing facilities and a change of clothes at work though. It wasn’t a huge issue for me anyway and I didn’t expect to get into a debate about it. I get paid by the hour, it was just a simple statement that it’s easier when it’s a smooth run and I was surprised to see so many out.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lagman said:

That is correct, I keep saying this because people aren't getting it. It's just us and the Channel Islands counting everyone as confirmed cases so it's going to look disproportionate, the UK switched to only counting hospitalised cases over a week ago.

We have 25 or 26 confirmed cases with 2 of them being hospitalised (the only ones the UK would count as confirmed)

As far as I am aware this is simply not true.

Yes you only get tested at the hozzie, courtesy of the totally out of his depth Boris Johnson, and they deem you do not need hozzie facilities then you are sent home to self isolate. You are still counted as infected however because you have had a positive test.

Of course, the big unknown is all those who know they've got it and self isolate. No doubt Johnson et al don't want them on the figures under any circumstances...

The reason I looked at the strange two blokes to one girly fatality rate was simply because Chas has got it but Camilla has not.

• Like 1