Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Precautions Isle of Man

10 minutes ago, P.K. said:

As far as I am aware this is simply not true.

Yes you only get tested at the hozzie, courtesy of the totally out of his depth Boris Johnson, and they deem you do not need hozzie facilities then you are sent home to self isolate. You are still counted as infected however because you have had a positive test.

Of course, the big unknown is all those who know they've got it and self isolate. No doubt Johnson et al don't want them on the figures under any circumstances...

The reason I looked at the strange two blokes to one girly fatality rate was simply because Chas has got it but Camilla has 

I doubt even covid is that brave!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, finlo said:

I'd be very surprised if a more than a handful commute from Douglas to the deep south let alone by bike!

I ride 3 or 4 time’s a week Port Erin to Douglas and home again; There’s a noticeable reduction in pollution in Douglas and apart from occasionally getting caught at the lights I haven’t had to put my foot down for ages; it’s great. 

If I get the bug I want to be as fit as possible to fight it so I will continue to ride as my daily exercise unless that too is outlawed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i wonder if fat howard will match the self employed grant the UK seem to be going for in a few months.

Is there anything this lot can't fuck up...?

No 10 claims it missed deadline for EU ventilator scheme

Government clarifies position after critics accuse Boris Johnson of putting ‘Brexit over breathing’

Downing Street has claimed it failed to take part in an EU scheme to source life-saving ventilators to treat coronavirus because it accidentally missed the deadline.

No 10 initially said it did not take part because the UK was “no longer a member” and was “making our own efforts”.

But after critics accused Boris Johnson of putting “Brexit over breathing”, a No 10 spokesman clarified that it had missed out because of an error and would consider participating in future. It is understood the UK claims not to have received an email from the EU asking it to participate.

The mix-up means the UK has missed out on benefiting from the collective buying power of the EU. The bloc is seeking to use its clout to source large numbers of ventilators and protective equipment.

A UK government spokesperson said: “Owing to an initial communication problem, the UK did not receive an invitation in time to join in four joint procurements in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

26 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I ride 3 or 4 time’s a week Port Erin to Douglas and home again; There’s a noticeable reduction in pollution in Douglas and apart from occasionally getting caught at the lights I haven’t had to put my foot down for ages; it’s great. 

If I get the bug I want to be as fit as possible to fight it so I will continue to ride as my daily exercise unless that too is outlawed. 

These weren't commuters as they were all headed south at 8 am.

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

These weren't commuters as they were all headed south at 8 am.

They were probably "working from home" or some such....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Some interesting emergency planning going on. Guess they've got to plan for the worst. Rationing regulations being brought forward

http://www.tynwald.org.im/links/tls/SD/Pages/2020-Emergency-Powers.aspx

Has anyone got a pdf of the ‘Emergency Powers (Prohibition on Movement Regulations) 2020’? It was cross referred to in the “Emergency Powers (Coronavirus) (Events and Gatherings) Regulations 2020”.  neither of which  seem to have been publishes on the Tynwald website yet.
 Wouldn’t mind seeing what I can and cannot do (ignorance of the law/no defence, etc).  And indeed, when do such restrictions came into effect - on the subject of which did anyone else notice the amendments made today to the CM’s statement of yesterday?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

Wow, I take it you're just one of many who decided today was an extra public holiday? Selfish to the extreme and probably the very same people who stock piled at the very start.

Not at all. I am currently working from home and go out once a day for a hours exercise cycle. Not on the roads though

26 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Yes you only get tested at the hozzie, courtesy of the totally out of his depth Boris Johnson, and they deem you do not need hozzie facilities then you are sent home to self isolate. You are still counted as infected however because you have had a positive test.

Of course, the big unknown is all those who know they've got it and self isolate. No doubt Johnson et al don't want them on the figures under any circumstances...

The reason I looked at the strange two blokes to one girly fatality rate was simply because Chas has got it but Camilla has not.

It may be that women are a bit less likely to catch COVID-19 (I've seen the suggestion that they may be more likely to wash their hands more for instance), but we don't really know without large population testing.  What is clear from what statistics we have is that they are less likely to die from it.  I think smoking may be part of it (which would count against Camilla) but there's possibly something else as well.

I also think the 'only testing at hospitals' thing means all tests done at the hospitals, not just on patients, but as with everything else it's difficult to find out exactly what is going on.

1 hour ago, Manxberry said:

If these restrictions have taught me anything, it's that stockpiling at the start is by far the best fucking way to do it

Cheers Rog :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

As far as I am aware this is simply not true.

You're the one who went running over there, so it is somewhat rude to be carping about the service now. I expect someone might be telling you there's a boat in the morning if you aren't careful.

The info about testing hospital admissions is indeed true.

At the moment, only patients in hospital with flu-like symptoms are being routinely tested for the virus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51943612

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Diesel was 108/litre this morning. Think I'll grab 1000 litres of heating oil, it can't get much cheaper.

Down to £3.00 on IoM then...

22 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It may be that women are a bit less likely to catch COVID-19 

Possibly something about the anti-viral immunity being coded for on the X chromosome, of which women have two, men only one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Possibly something about the anti-viral immunity being coded for on the X chromosome, of which women have two, men only one. 

Lesbian plot to do away with men.

• Haha 1