The Brit , Covenants, and general developer bollocks

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/ramsey-pub-to-be-demolished/?fbclid=IwAR0zGmtWPWtzbLYD7tjXe-BVLbDVeAhIea-pOVzjiAPLqHU5vktE_yoBPxs

So thats the story that kicked this debate off for me. The key thing that I take from this is the ideal of covenants. These were meant to prevent developers from building on public or private land which was gifted to the state for use by the public, but there seems to be a disconnect here in our system whereby the Brewery uses these to prevent anyone taking over buildings to reopen them as pubs.

We know this is not the first time they've done this, but unless its suggested to someone to update the law, we also know this wont be the last, as there is a clear long term business strategy in play here as the big money for them is in selling the entire site to developers. 

The commissioners seem pretty powerless to prevent this happening in either Garff or Ramsey. Thats puzzling. Given the furore over losing the Courthouse to developers, I would have expected Ramsey Commissioners to intervene here and at least try and force H&B to maintain the building in an acceptable state or remove the covenants over the sale.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Expect a few more soon. H&B are an absolute disgrace with their bullshit, see also The Ship and the LA. Putting restrictive covenants on buildings is the equivalent of 'I'm going home and am

Yes, but these people aren’t being held to account? Where is it on record that they have been written to and itntherefore be shown that the Commission is taking this seriously? Publicly pronouncing th

once the first property has been demolished every other fucker will get the paint brushes and hedge cutters out.  

Expect a few more soon. H&B are an absolute disgrace with their bullshit, see also The Ship and the LA.

Putting restrictive covenants on buildings is the equivalent of 'I'm going home and am taking my ball with me' only less grown up.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 8

The Brit closed in February 2014. H&B spent next to nothing on that building in the last 25+ years other than new upholstery and some hideous wallpaper in the front bar in the early 90s. There was a hole in the roof of the back bar that admitted rain water since forever.

They're just not interested in maintaining their old building stock regardless of any heritage or otherwise status and appear to enjoy carte blanche in this approach. They seem to prefer running them into the ground, closing and then selling them under the proviso that they can't be used as pubs in case any new owner makes a better go.

• Like 1

Surely in a free market, its the vendor who can attach whatever conditions they like and if they aren't suitable for the market, then they'll struggle to sell.

There is no demand for another pub in Ramsey - I know I'm a regular pub goer and they're all empty apart from TT and Black eye Friday.

Why should the Commissioners have any say in a privately owned building? They've already shown they're incapable of rational decision by buying the Courthouse and installing traffic lights on Parliament Square.

• Haha 1

Any local authority can only act on the powers in the Building Control Act which are sadly toothless or nuclear

1 hour ago, piebaps said:

Surely in a free market, its the vendor who can attach whatever conditions they like and if they aren't suitable for the market, then they'll struggle to sell.

There is no demand for another pub in Ramsey - I know I'm a regular pub goer and they're all empty apart from TT and Black eye Friday.

Why should the Commissioners have any say in a privately owned building? They've already shown they're incapable of rational decision by buying the Courthouse and installing traffic lights on Parliament Square.

The hostlries not under the mismanagement of H&B seem to be doing ok no?

Do we have any MHKs with enough spine to bring forward legislation to prevent H&B's abuse of covenants? H&B were very effective in preventing others establishing new pubs in the days when pubs were wonderful money making machines. It was never a free market then and so it's a bit of a hollow argument to suggest it should be now. 

45 minutes ago, Yibble said:

Do we have any MHKs with enough spine to bring forward legislation to prevent H&B's abuse of covenants? H&B were very effective in preventing others establishing new pubs in the days when pubs were wonderful money making machines. It was never a free market then and so it's a bit of a hollow argument to suggest it should be now. 

hahahahaha classic.

NO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, finlo said:

The hostlries not under the mismanagement of H&B seem to be doing ok no?

And often very much at the expense of H&B houses.

12 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

I would like to see Ramsey Commissioners take to task the owners of a number of buildings that are bordering on dereliction. It was good to see the old railway shed at Gladstone knocked down. 

The quayside estate of a former Commissioner is another one that is a blot on the landscape.

• Like 3