Future Mann

Derek Flint

2 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Good to hear about the infrastructure grant being awarded to MT to bring high speed broadband to rural areas. This is a worthwhile investment and is to applauded. I believe the money has been reallocated from the business start up grant fund that had few takers.

Two things. 

1. At least we can resign ourselves to an over priced, mediocre service as we watch this unfold.

2. Government needs to seriously look at itself and properly ask why the grant scheme had so few takers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

2. Government needs to seriously look at itself and properly ask why the grant scheme had so few takers.

Could it be the T&C's precluded folks from applying?

Because, lets face it, government do like to make things "difficult" shall we say....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

Two things. 

1. At least we can resign ourselves to an over priced, mediocre service as we watch this unfold.

At least it is going in the right direction. Positive thoughts Mr Flint :D

From what I believe the NW launched a similar scheme at roughly the same time as ours, and the funding available blew our offering out of the water. Timing is everything.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Am I wrong to wonder if 5G would be a better option in rural areas?

It may well be as one of the reasons that MT or others in that game have not installed ducts all over the island is the DOI rule that if you dig up a trench on the road you have to re surface either half the road width or even the full width, not just the trench you have dug. No rules in the UK like this - It will make even simple "micro" trenching of fibre massively expensive, not to mention much much more disruptive.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Two things. 

It is very concerning why so few takers but I think we know why not, gov tend to want to control everything on the island and I can only imagine how meetings between prospective business people and IOM civil servants would have gone. From my limited dealings with a few they are in the main arrogant, clueless and give off the impression that they will try and take your idea and do a government version thereby destroying your business plans. The "light regulation" - "where you can" just means that there are no proper regulations to follow/ apply, so the CS make them up as they go, in their favour, you cant work like that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

From my limited dealings with a few they are in the main arrogant, clueless and give off the impression that they will try and take your idea and do a government version thereby destroying your business plans. The "light regulation" - "where you can" just means that there are no proper regulations to follow/ apply, so the CS make them up as they go, in their favour, you cant work like that.

What you say is not very far from the truth. I have also had similar impressions and to a limited extent experienced the arrogance aspect in their approach in dealing with the private sector, particularly DfE. And forget confidentiality, it doesn't exist.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mokebatcher said:

Oh give it a rest, Derek. Your continual bashing of MT any opportunity has become quite tiresome.

You satisfied with it?

Its the lack of progress and competition that holds the island back. We should have been years ahead of the game. All we’ve had is a ‘make do’ approach. 

Manx Telecom engineers are excellent. It’s the strategy that is flawed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, piebaps said:

There's a land of milk and honey just a short boat ride away for any English who aren't happy here.

I’m here through choice and not accident of birth. Unlike many of its “countrymen”, I’ve a genuine desire to see the place thrive and grow. It is really frustrating and somewhat upsetting that the Island is continually clawed back into the bucket by the crabs, and a good tranche of Government where mediocrity seems to be an acceptable aspiration.

• Like 7