Whether we like it or not, theses difficult times are going to see some of our loved ones depart before their time. Medicine is an art, not a science, and our gallant NHS staff can only do so much. As Benjamin Franklin once noted there are only two certainties in life, death and tax.

I recently lost my Dad. While we both knew it was coming, we obviously did not know when. When it did, it was swift - a matter of days from when I got the phone call to get over to the UK to be with him in his last hours.

In the previous months before he passed I was fortunate that I had had what some call the 'difficult conversation'. Consequently, I knew things such as he did not want to be resuscitated, what kind of funeral he wanted, and what care he wanted for my Mum (she has several chronic comorbidities and Dad was her 24/7 carer) and some other details. Talking about such subjects was not easy, and I was not trained in how to conduct them, but both Dad and I knew we had to discuss certain matters if his wishes were to be respected. While Dad had a Will, it had been written 25 years ago, and certain other things were now more important, such as donations he wanted to make to certain charities that had helped him in his twilight years.  

Given these increasingly uncertain times, is now perhaps the time we all had a little honesty with our loved ones so that if the inevitable does come unexpectedly, then we will know how to ensure their wishes can be honoured?

While not an easy conversation to have with young or older people,  perhaps organisations such as Hospice, Cruse etc. could give some advice before it is too late.

• Like 4
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The universal excuse will be - Covid19. Oh, and Douglas Prom was going fine, just fine, and then....

If I fall victim to this WuFlu, would someone please break into my house and format my hard drives, then locate and burn the 'toy box' before my kids arrive to claim their inheritance?

Please demonstrate (rather than assert) how it was "someone else's fault" then.  Unless you believe some mad conspiracy theory that it was genetically engineered by the Chinese/Americans/Russians/Illu

If medicine was a science then the same thing would happen to everyone. The reality is that it does not. A simple example, being giving an aspirin to one person cures their headache, given to another person they have an anaphylactic reaction. Medicine is (obviously) based on scientific principles, but the 'art' is knowing what it will do to the individual given that each of us has a personal chemistry. ( The British Medical Journal article at https://mh.bmj.com/content/27/1/42 gives some insight into this)

In general, the scientists in health care are not the medics.  Hippocrates is quoted as saying:

Life is short,
and art long,
opportunity fleeting,
experimentations perilous,
and judgement difficult.

This uses the old meaning of art as craft or skill - i.e. medicine in that context.  It hasn't changed significantly since Greek times IMHO.

2 hours ago, Galen said:

If medicine was a science then the same thing would happen to everyone. The reality is that it does not. A simple example, being giving an aspirin to one person cures their headache, given to another person they have an anaphylactic reaction. Medicine is (obviously) based on scientific principles, but the 'art' is knowing what it will do to the individual given that each of us has a personal chemistry. ( The British Medical Journal article at https://mh.bmj.com/content/27/1/42 gives some insight into this)

It is definitely not an art

Medicine is, or at least ought to be, a science.  Admittedly up to the late 19th Century it was pretty much an unsavoury mixture of quackery, restrictive practice and hope, but it's pretty much a science now.  However doctors in the UK and US like to pretend there is some special art to it because those countries pay scientists so badly.

IMO, based on my own experience, this not intended as medical advice and any other disclaimers that might apply, it would benefit people enormously if Pharma didn’t have a monopoly stranglehold on health. What I’m saying is that non conventional methods should not be immediately damned by the ‘system’. I belong to the risk group being of a certain age and having been diagnosed with lung disease. I took charge of my health and decided that Imo (please insert all appropriate disclaimers) my body is my property and my health is my responsibility. Which means that I do all I can to help myself (this does not include pharmaceuticals because I discovered I manage better without). Will not attempt to say any more about my situation because such is the legal position that it is easy to fall foul of the gagging system in place. Perhaps, I could make my point clearer by referring to all media coverage. Scare. Anxiety. Pile it on.Things which are known to negatively affect the immune system. We have immune systems which we should be doing our best to support. How come no one mentions this? This would be a very positive step and would help remove the feeling of helplessness many have at present. Or are we supposed to feel dependent and helpless? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, display name said:

It seems Galen has arrived on Earth recently and carries  substantial matter within an insubstantial volume.

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Can you put that in proper English?

Dense.:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

If I fall victim to this WuFlu, would someone please break into my house and format my hard drives, then locate and burn the 'toy box' before my kids arrive to claim their inheritance?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4