Isle of Man Food Security Post 2020

James Hampton

9 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

James
What did farmers do before cheap foreign labour came along?

Andy

Used cheap local labour.

That is going to be a steep and painful learning curve. I loved picking neeps and tats in the winter, but it’s way outside most people’s comfort zone round these parts now. Needs must. 

10 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Well, we are finding it a little difficult to find eggs today. the local Spar didn't have any and our other supplier wouldn't add to our weekly order. We are trying the creamery now to see if they will add eggs to our milk delivery.

We went in the car, (we are both way over 70 and have permanent illnesses), and tried two different farm shops, fortunately found half a dozen at Sandygate.

We looked like robots, surgical masks, gloves and then sanitised and disinfected the car door handles, house door handles and each egg, Jeez, what a palaver.

I have business doing grocery rounds, I can bring eggs and other basics if you need. I know advertising is frowned here but if you’re struggling and it helps you stay home I hope the admins will allow you to pm me if you want. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, James Hampton said:

Don’t know if we crossed wires there. I wasn’t suggesting it was a good comparison to the IOM, however an acre of land is an acre of land, a tank of diesel, a ton of fert wherever you are. New Zealand is a fairly expensive place to do business but competes very well in the global food markets despite the fact that it’s up against countries that literally pour money in to agriculture. The point was that there is a flaw in the arms race logic of agri subsidies, and New Zealand proves that. 

an acre of land isn't an acre of land when it comes to agriculture,  depending on the soil type,  elevation, inclination, atmospheric norm, etc etc,  depends on what you can use the land for and how productive it can be,  there is a reason they don't grow pineapples on the alaskan tundra.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, James Hampton said:

I have business doing grocery rounds, I can bring eggs and other basics if you need. I know advertising is frowned here but if you’re struggling and it helps you stay home I hope the admins will allow you to pm me if you want. 

Cheers James, Mrs Doc mentioned it to neighbours and they collected some for us. What a wonderful place we live in! Thanks again.

Here is Tanya showing how to Grow Garlic in your Allotment:

I have a Big Garlic Patch growing in the Herbal Garden that I Grow for the Buddhist Temple Community Garden that I do Volunteer Gardening for.

Garlic is one of the Best Herbs that you can use that will Strengthen the Immune System which helps to keep you from getting Sick from various Germs and Viruses which includes the present Covid 19 Virus.

3X3

16 minutes ago, TheDruid-3X3 said:

Here is Tanya showing how to Grow Garlic in your Allotment:

I have a Big Garlic Patch growing in the Herbal Garden that I Grow for the Buddhist Temple Community Garden that I do Volunteer Gardening for.

Garlic is one of the Best Herbs that you can use that will Strengthen the Immune System which helps to keep you from getting Sick from various Germs and Viruses which includes the present Covid 19 Virus.

3X3

rubbish

On 4/3/2020 at 3:10 PM, doc.fixit said:

Well, we are finding it a little difficult to find eggs today. the local Spar didn't have any and our other supplier wouldn't add to our weekly order. We are trying the creamery now to see if they will add eggs to our milk delivery.

We went in the car, (we are both way over 70 and have permanent illnesses), and tried two different farm shops, fortunately found half a dozen at Sandygate.

We looked like robots, surgical masks, gloves and then sanitised and disinfected the car door handles, house door handles and each egg, Jeez, what a palaver.

Interesting guide covering egg cleaning :)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://food.unl.edu/documents/EggCleaning.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiE4MX-ms_oAhXKN8AKHTgDCuIQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2774IMe6UNitnoGWO_4aAt

• Like 1