Douglas Borough Council

Not sure how well known this is but I'd be worried about their pension obligations, I interviewed for a position at the town hall a year or two ago and they were happy to talk about the final salary pension scheme they have. I was actually shocked that such a thing still existed.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The man is the personification of the whole IoM Public Sector attitude to life. We're owed a living and we don't care how it's paid for. I wonder what they'll do when a third of Douglas small bus

This is just Christian blubbering that a big boy did it and he ran away.  We saw exactly the same thing with closing the Cemetery - he claimed it was because of the government regulations.  The fact t

I see he's now blaming government, they're making DBC charge business rates He doesn't want to do it but he has no alternate course of action available to him We're forced to conclude that D

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, wideload said:

Not sure how well known this is but I'd be worried about their pension obligations, I interviewed for a position at the town hall a year or two ago and they were happy to talk about the final salary pension scheme they have. I was actually shocked that such a thing still existed.

Unlike the civil service the local authorities do have an actual pension fund.  I don't know how well-funded it is (the latest report I could find is here) but it's clearly better-funded than the government one which simply isn't funded at all.  Of course if the local authorities were taken over by central government the local authority fund would be absorbed by central government and used to pay their pensioners.  I can't possibly imagine why Derek Flint would think that a good idea.:P

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wideload said:

I have been told they have some weird formula for payments into their pension pot. Say for example the Golf Course needs to call an electrician. The Corpy electrician is dispatched for a call out fee (billed between departments/boards) and part of the fee is a payment towards the pension fund.... I stand to be corrected and may have this wrong. But am FOI request seeking clarification is headed their way. 

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Unlike the civil service the local authorities do have an actual pension fund.  I don't know how well-funded it is (the latest report I could find is here) but it's clearly better-funded than the government one which simply isn't funded at all.  Of course if the local authorities were taken over by central government the local authority fund would be absorbed by central government and used to pay their pensioners.  I can't possibly imagine why Derek Flint would think that a good idea.:P

I don’t think it would cover much!

My Argument for a collapsing of the local authorities is predicated on a desire to see a significant reduction in the bureaucratic machine that throttles the Island, and costs far too much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
25 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

My Argument for a collapsing of the local authorities is predicated on a desire to see a significant reduction in the bureaucratic machine that throttles the Island, and costs far too much. 

Perhaps based on the old fashioned idea of economies-of-scale? Though it has frequently be shown that smaller and more localised teams are very much more effective, focused and ultimately lower cost. And almost certainly less bureaucratic.

IMHO there's as much bureaucracy and bloat in some of the local authorities, relatively speaking, as there is in central Govt.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, pongo said:

Perhaps based on the old fashioned idea of economies-of-scale? Though it has frequently be shown that smaller and more localised teams are very much more effective, focused and ultimately lower cost. And almost certainly less bureaucratic.

the island is 30 x 10 miles in round numbers,  haw many small teams do you think it needs ?

• Like 2

Isn't the cemetery/crematorium closure issue designed to stop people congregating and having parties? I've seen many a group of yoofs exiting the cemetery late at night on my way home from work. Could also be for preventing druggies from gaining access. Mind, I'm not sure that the place is particularly well secure anyway. But just a thought.

Isn’t it just a reflection of the regulations about what is permitted.

You aren’t going to be shopping, working, or exercising, conducting a legal hearing, etc.in the cemetery.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, WTF said:

the island is 30 x 10 miles in round numbers,  haw many small teams do you think it needs ?

I could not name a single street in Port Erin / St Mary. Actually I can never remember which is which. And I don't know the people there or who might be the best person to ask about some issue which might need solving locally.

There is also the fact that very small teams focused on their own solutions can invariably take decisions much more quickly and effectively. Or they can walk around the corner and have a look.

As with so many other things - the best case studies almost invariably come back to post 1950s Japanese manufacturing models. Small focused teams really are much more effective.

59 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Isn't the cemetery/crematorium closure issue designed to stop people congregating and having parties? I've seen many a group of yoofs exiting the cemetery late at night on my way home from work. Could also be for preventing druggies from gaining access. Mind, I'm not sure that the place is particularly well secure anyway. But just a thought.

The same could be said for the gardens on the Prom, Nobles Park, any public area in Douglas. 

19 minutes ago, pongo said:

There is also the fact that very small teams focused on their own solutions can invariably take decisions much more quickly and effectively.

Hahahahaha

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, pongo said:

I could not name a single street in Port Erin / St Mary. Actually I can never remember which is which. And I don't know the people there or who might be the best person to ask about some issue which might need solving locally.

There is also the fact that very small teams focused on their own solutions can invariably take decisions much more quickly and effectively. Or they can walk around the corner and have a look.

As with so many other things - the best case studies almost invariably come back to post 1950s Japanese manufacturing models. Small focused teams really are much more effective.

and this is where inconsistency creeps in with every team having their own version and interpretation of the rules,  rules should be this small island wide not street wide.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, WTF said:

The more the merrier it seems

57 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Isn’t it just a reflection of the regulations about what is permitted.

You aren’t going to be shopping, working, or exercising, conducting a legal hearing, etc.in the cemetery.

Don't be dragging common sense into this John...