Where did this start to go wrong for Howard Quayle ?

LightBulb

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

The SPCo still has freight moving so it should keep its head above water ok. The repayment of the government loan may take a bit longer than expected though?

if its  like the MEA loan it will never happen, they will just pay interest until it can be written off or forgotten about.

23 hours ago, chancer said:

This is a particularly poisonous thread that the Moderators should close down.  

Any of you whinging bastards are free to stand for MHK and push on to be the Chief Minister if you chose.  Fancy having a go and have to put up with keyboard warriors telling you where you went wrong?  If not, shut your Manx Crabby shit-holes and fuck off somewhere else to live. 

I didn't pick up this ridiculous comment yesterday because I was never sure if @chancer was a parody account or not.  If I wanted to mock the self-defensiveness of a certain section of the Manx establishment, I'd certainly try to represent it as thin-skinned and thick-headed; prissy and foul-mouthed; sensitive to every criticism and incapable of answering any of it.  No matter how minor or helpful the intention of those disagreeing, the only response is to tell them to shut up and agree completely with the self-evident wisdom of those in charge.  The voice of arrogance and privilege coupled with a complete ignorance of the actual situation being discussed - it's Dunning-Kruger turbocharged.  Surely this can't be genuine?  Or if it is, anyone who felt like that would they be foolish enough to be so open in their stupidity.

And yet it not only appears to be sincere, but other people, rather than laughing at it in horror, appear to think it is a perfectly reasonable position.  The way to deal with a crisis isn't to discuss it and use the best evidence to create the best solutions, but touch your forelock and agree completely with what your self-appointed masters come up with.  The important thing is not to minimise harm, but to inflate the fragile egos of those who claim they are in charge.

It is always tempting to say in crises that we should all pull together, but that's no good if the boat is heading towards the rocks - you're just going to sink quicker.  This sort of attitude actually works completely against the public interest, an epidemic is at heart set of scientific problems to be solved and that requires open discussion and for the authorities to take on board criticism.  An aggressive and arrogant response to any dissent not only means sub-optimal policies are enforced that may lead to unnecessary illness and death, it also places in danger and insults those who are doing their best to control the spread of the disease and are at most risk from catching it.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I didn't pick up this ridiculous comment yesterday because I was never sure if @chancer was a parody account or not.  If I wanted to mock the self-defensiveness of a certain section of the Manx establishment, I'd certainly try to represent it as thin-skinned and thick-headed; prissy and foul-mouthed; sensitive to every criticism and incapable of answering any of it.  No matter how minor or helpful the intention of those disagreeing, the only response is to tell them to shut up and agree completely with the self-evident wisdom of those in charge.  The voice of arrogance and privilege coupled with a complete ignorance of the actual situation being discussed - it's Dunning-Kruger turbocharged.  Surely this can't be genuine?  Or if it is, anyone who felt like that would they be foolish enough to be so open in their stupidity.

And yet it not only appears to be sincere, but other people, rather than laughing at it in horror, appear to think it is a perfectly reasonable position.  The way to deal with a crisis isn't to discuss it and use the best evidence to create the best solutions, but touch your forelock and agree completely with what your self-appointed masters come up with.  The important thing is not to minimise harm, but to inflate the fragile egos of those who claim they are in charge.

It is always tempting to say in crises that we should all pull together, but that's no good if the boat is heading towards the rocks - you're just going to sink quicker.  This sort of attitude actually works completely against the public interest, an epidemic is at heart set of scientific problems to be solved and that requires open discussion and for the authorities to take on board criticism.  An aggressive and arrogant response to any dissent not only means sub-optimal policies are enforced that may lead to unnecessary illness and death, it also places in danger and insults those who are doing their best to control the spread of the disease and are at most risk from catching it.

Can somebody please tell me who or what Roger Mexico is and why he is so revered by the masses on here. If he was that good a leader he would surely be in Government now , leading us through this crisis. Why is he held in such esteem ? He is surely the biggest waffler on here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Can somebody please tell me who or what Roger Mexico is and why he is so revered by the masses on here. If he was that good a leader he would surely be in Government now , leading us through this crisis. Why is he held in such esteem ? He is surely the biggest waffler on here.

Only you think he is. Can’t speak for everybody but as far as I am concerned take it or leave it. Pomposity at its best

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

2 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Surely the biggest waffler on here? That's some claim.

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

I do not know who Roger Mexico is but he is twisted in his thinking and should be ignored.

22 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Only you think he is. Can’t speak for everybody but as far as I am concerned take it or leave it. Pomposity at its best

As far as I can see, RM thinks about what he says and does research, it is an open forum after all. I don't always agree with what he says but it's usually reasoned argument and very readable!

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

From 11.00 am tomorrow Lord Stinking Enigma, Sir Roger and myself as Appointed Concierge will be in charge - both likeable rogues, and since appointed will fully appreciate your undying stoogeness - fall in

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Max Power said:

As far as I can see, RM thinks about what he says and does research, it is an open forum after all. I don't always agree with what he says but it's usually reasoned argument and very readable!

As I was replying to dilli, why have you included my comment?

I may not agree with Roger Mexico, on occasion, I do not know who he is but he is pretty much 'bang on the nail' with the vast majority of what he posts, he offers his opinion but his opinion is based on facts and research and you have to respect that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1